No announcement yet.

What do u like from IPB and vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing I like about IPB is the vast amount of different looking skins on http://invisionize.com . Some of them are really awesome looking and best of all, free. The new Admin area in 2.1 looks really nice too.

Comment

Yeah, it does look really nice, and I like it. Sadly, I find it harder to navigate the options that way.
      Let the flames begin.

Comment

I have a owned license to both softwares..
        I have 2 sites one which uses VB and the other that uses IPB and i must say that i like both forums... There are things i like about both of them that the other doesnt have. Overall my preference is VB because it looks more professional and i just love the inline moderation from it.
        One thing that IPB owns VB on is how their Paid Subscriptions are handled. They have a ton more options than VB but it looks like with beta 3 VB is making strides in that department.

Comment

What I like about Invision, absed on what I've seen:

RSS feed to forum posts.
          Admin control panel seems simpler and more logically laid out,
          Default skin is very attractive, and much easier on the eyes than vB's stock skin.
          Larger skin/theme sharing community.

What I don't like:

Smaller hack community.
          Different message board culture.
          IPB's stock photo-filled "robust scalable end-to-end e-community solutions"-style main page looks like a generic, almost cliche corporate template.

Then again, I hate it when users here talk about "message board solutions." C'mon, it's a message board or bulletin board, not an "electronic community facilitation solution."
          Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
          http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

Comment

I love the new feature in IPB 2.1 that allows you to insert RSS feeds as posts. Not really a base forum function but very nice.
            Inline editing of titles and descriptions in showthread.

In regards to AJAX, IPB is fully utilizing it throughout the board...very nice.

vB's service, close-knit community keeps me here and keeps me referring potential clients here.
            Last edited by someuser190826; Mon 25th Jul '05, 11:37pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan
              I love the new feature in IPB 2.1 that allows you to insert RSS feeds as posts. Not really a base forum function but very nice.
              That was available as a hack for vBulletin at vb.org a year ago.

See it here
              Webmaster:
              @forumz

Comment

Here's My Take

Herro,
                • I have been an IPB admin for 5 years.
                • I have released 5 skins, 2 hacks and 8 tutorials.
                • My board has approximately 12 major /130 minor modifications and hacks installed.
                The single most advantage a vB based community has over IPB is user acquaintance.
                vB is the forum standard, Period. Over the years, my members have requested and sought support for what I call: Missing Links (standard features in vB that IPB forgot) But I will take you though a journey of the ups and downs of an IPB board starting with:

THE COMPANY.

From what I have seen, Jelsoft is honest and offers good support.
                IPS on the other hand, is fraudulent and dishonest. There have been reports or CEO Matt Mecham stealing code, going back on his word that IPB would stay open source (free) and in a most recent case- abuse from one: Charles Warner, President of IPS, Inc.

Again, these are just reports from second hand sources-only relative to the company's reputation. Do not try to contest them- I will not argue.

Because, in MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with IPS, I have received similar treatment; including a temp ban from the IPS company forums for merely stating that "'x' feature sucks". Said ban was lifted only after I went global with it and my friends in the IPB community showed their support. Of course, this was after being banned 4 more times when just trying to re-register a new account.

But I'm not going to say: "I hate IPS" or that they suck... You know it, I know it, The WHOLE WORLD knows it, so I'm not going to say it.

PRICE.
                IPB is cheaper. But not by much. No need to go into it further.

INTEGRATION

While vBulletin struggles to release their first CMS, IPB has a string of fully integratable scripts such as:
                • A wicked Gallery that blows any vB gallery script to hell. ($65.00 http://invisiongallery.com )
                • Invision Blog: never used it, don't know ($50.00 http://invisionblog.com )
                • Java Chat is fully integratable, but it's mile high price is a "steal"... From you! ($80-$155 yr. http://invisionchat.com )
                • And then they got their Toplist, CMS, etc...
                Now, I have heard the argument of quality over quantity and that- unlike Jelsoft who is taking their time on their CMS to ensure maximum quality - Invision is just releasing half-ass products to sell and that's partially true. But there is a big difference that seems to be overlooked. IPS released Invision Gallery 1.0 when they were still giving away product. Jelsoft- on the other hand- has been having the resources to at least release a decent beta Gallery. The members would be delighted to beta test a gallery for vB.

DESIGN

Out of the box, IPB's "boxy" look is absolutely hideous in comparison to vB's default style. Even though anyone serious about their board is not going to stick with the default skin- it is still the base starting point for many skin designers, as many "custom styles" are really just edited styles- thus, IPB skinners tend to release boxy like skins (or styles, as you call them) whereas vB's tend to be look smooth and polished looking.

However, when it comes to customizing, IPB reigns supreme. This board can be skinned down to the bone. I know this from first hand experience, as my most recent skin looks exactly like vBulletin. And there's not one or two, but several tutorials over at Invisionize (the equivalent of vBorg) to show you how achieve this. Which brings me to...

RESOURCES

vBulletin.org Forum Statistics Threads: 63,207, Posts: 565,594, Members: 94,802
                Invisionize.com Board Statistics: Topics: 81,461, Posts: 422,045 127,999 Members:

Up until recently, IPB has always been free. This is how they built such a strong community out of a crappy board. And because of the issues listed herein fourth, (IPB giving crappy support; limited features; and walking in the shadow of vBulltein) the community took action and created Invisionize.

DESIGN

Invisionize hosts
                123 FREE 2.0 skins.
                vBulletin.org has 99 FREE skins for 3.0

And that's not their only resource, Invisionize has a whole Design support section, with almost endless sub-forums, including graphics tutorials and skin tips.

In total, there are 488 threads at vBulletin.org for version 3.0 in the Styles, Template Modifications and Graphics forums combined...
                Now are you ready for this? There are over 10,000 for IPB 2.0 at Invisionize Design.

That's some serious sh**, huh? Yea, there's only 123 skins in the DB because most IPB users design their own skins.

And that is where folks like Extreme Pixels and the like, cash in off you guys. And that's cool, ya'll can afford it. After all, you purchased vB. But in the Invision world, everything is free. Selling a skin is almost unheard of... And at that guy's price, you gotta give him the ol "" emoticon when all his skins look the same.

Had vbulletin.org given 2 shakes about design instead of being "all about the hack", things would be different. Overall, vBorg is a very unbalanced resource community and I get better skins right here from Zachery. (thanks for the Black, running on my test board)

I also have a far fetched theory about the adminCP Style & Template Manager: Not having a single page to edit the CSS directly, as opposed to "click and pick your color" interface it currently uses, sets a standard to the vB designer community... Lazyness.

I've been a vB admin for less than 2 weeks and I just released my first skin. It has about 10 template modifications, custom buttons... Nothing special. But other than that. I just clicked and picked out my color scheme. Had I a CSS page in front of my face, I would still be working on it today and the outcome would have been 5 x greater.

HACKS/MODS
                Who knows internet? Who knows PHP? Who knows technology like no one else? The kids do.

This guy Dean, a 15 year old from Chicago has released over 147 powerful mods (hacks) and climbing. He often posts support on Invisionize from his school library and releases a new mod every other day on lunch break... He is a freakin wiz kid and a complete ass. But vB has NOTHING like him.

He is the author of the D2-Shoutbox- the single most downloaded IPB mod ever. It's fully integratable into IPB and cuts more ways than a Swiss Army knife. I have posted on one site where the Shoutbox would talk back to me using A.L.I.C.E supported technology. Just browsing at his mods makes you drool.

So why doesn't vB have their own "Dean"?
                Probably because vB is a paid board and kids have better things to spend their allowance on.

Invisionize also has a FuSoYa- a super smart support machine who never seems to log out and a supersmashbrothers, a guy who freely provides small php code hacks like they were going out of style.

In my experience with overall experience with the vbulletin community, making "Code Modifications" seems to this huge deal. I am finding that vB users are very lazy and want a plug-in for everything. While plug-ins are simple and easy to slap on, the admin learns nothing about the board or PHP when applying said plugin.

However... A great percentage of IPB mods are written to simulate a missing link. (vB stock feature.) And since IPS can't make up their friggin mind on how they want their board, constantly upgrading and uninstalling/reinstalling mods becomes a chore.

For the record, vBulletin has more original hacks than IPB. But from Shoutboxes to CMS's, 8 Galleries to choose from and dozens of Downloads/Tutorials/Stories system's, IPB mods are generally larger and have more features/admin controls. Last year, an unwritten code amongst the community that all mods should be "Group Permission Based" became the standard at Invisionize.

FEATURES:

This could take all year... I don't even know if I should go into this. No, I'm not going to do it. I'm just going to put it like this:

IPB has some most interesting and eccentric features such as remote linking of avatars, multi-quote and my personal favorite: "View All Attachments in this thread"... Great feature.

But for every 1 innovative idea, they lack 1 basic feature. Every single feature on IPB has at least 1 downside:

Searching is weak and has no saved prefs. Member List does not show Avatars. No decent Karma or Reputation system. Forum Leaders page... Bla. Subscribed threads notifications works half of the time. Google doesn't like IPB or even the low-fi version page. Can only upload 1 attachment at a time. Some retarded warning systen and mods cannot just BAN users and at least 300 missing admin controls.

I could churn out 10 more pararaphs like that, but I think you get the point.

But all that and more... (All this and much much more can be yours if the price is right! lol.) All of this stuff has a fix over at Invisionize. You can do anything you want with IPB, but you have to work for it. The same cannot be said for vBulletin because of the limited resources...

But I predict IPB's resources are coming to an end with 2.1. No one likes their company and no one likes their product. Long time IPB gurus (like me) are switching to vBuletin. It's less hassle and for a whole 10 bucks more I get a better board. Hopefully some of my friends will make the switch as well, and we can begin to turn this s.o.b. around and bring more skins and quality hacks to the community, but I fear they will just go to PHP as it is a free board and they are used to that.

And finaly, it's obvious why people love vB. It's a sturdy board and the staff doesn't ban you for writing articles like this. (I dare you to repost this over at IPS ... BAN CITY!) But there are some things I absolutely HATE about vB...

WHAT I HATE ABOUT VB

While it might make sense to you to upload avatars to your board from another site, does it ever really work? Invalid File! Invalid File! Invalid File! Scrap the goddam thing and use that space to allow remote linking. Add a resize thingy and be sure to add some ACP settings to allow/disalow linking and dynamic images. I don't care what Scott says, it's not friggin Impossible! IPB did it. Great, now vB can too. Stay ahead of the game. Just do it. Can you hear me now?...Good!

GIVE MODERATORS MORE PERMISSIONS.
                Read it or I will rig the next election so that Jep Bush wins.

HIDE ADMINS IP ADDY FROM MODS.

Should be stock.

POST ICONS
                Where's the Beef? There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why these little images cannot be based per style. We'e not in Kansas anymore! Think outside the box!!!

GALLERY, CMS, SHOUTBOX- MAKE IT!
                Larger than life, but they're nowhere to be seen. (Yes, I know where I can find the overpriced buggy scripts.)

ATTACHMENTS:
                Love what you did with the URL uploader, but it would be nice to open the ACP and simply type in the URL of the folder on a REMOTE SERVER where you want to keep your attachments.
                Also, I would like to show thumbnails to guests, but when they clock on it, they're prompted to register... At least, when they can SEE the thumbnail, they know there something there. For me, not having this feature is a major inconsistency on behalf of vBulletin.

COLOR SWATCH:
                Ability to add more colors to the swatch on th post screen via ACP.

GALLERY.
                Make one... A good one.

AdminCP & Tabbed Browsing.
                Read it, or die.

PUBLIC GROUPS:
                This feature sucks so bad, nobody uses it... I mean, nobody. It needs a complete overhaul. Go look at MySpace or something. They get their own forums and whatnot. totally wicked.

SIGNATURES
                Make the community happy by allowing signature uploads and limits on dimensions and how many images you can use, etc... Give them what they want!

PAID SUBSCRIPTIONS
                It sucks. Period.

USER GALLERY.
                Yea, I'll keep saying it until it's made...

But vB is the way to go.
                I'm tired. G'night!
                Last edited by brinnie; Tue 26th Jul '05, 5:43pm.

Comment

Sadly all I ever hear from you is moaning about what vB does not have...

If you are unhappy, use the time you spend moaning and hack it into your board yourself...

And before you go criticising vB.org for not being very style-related, you probably don't realise but up until a few months ago it was just entirely a hacking community for a long while - The recent merger with vBulletinTemplates.com has brought the styles and templates back to vBulletin.org...

Satan

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan
                    Me too...regardless if someone other than jelsoft coded a hack a year ago.

Comment

I agree with most of what brinnie said... Very well said.

Also u think ur tired? i am about to pull an all nighter!!!!
                      Last edited by JPT62089; Tue 26th Jul '05, 6:37am.
                      http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.

Comment

I don't understand why people that "love" IPB come here and try to crap on vB... I've used IPB, 2.0.x and 2.1 and it does not "rule" over vB in anyway. It's performance lacks.

I could go on, but I won't.

Comment

Originally posted by hellsatan
                          Sadly all I ever hear from you is moaning about what vB does not have...

If you are unhappy, use the time you spend moaning and hack it into your board yourself...

And before you go criticising vB.org for not being very style-related, you probably don't realise but up until a few months ago it was just entirely a hacking community for a long while - The recent merger with vBulletinTemplates.com has brought the styles and templates back to vBulletin.org...

Satan
                          That's your perception... I equally critiqued IPB and vB- They both lack and they both gain. You just want to see what you want. Which is that vB is perfect. It's not. There is no perfect board. I've been on both sides of the fence, I got second site...

YOU try using one board for years and listening to how this "other board" is sooooo better and then finally giving and buying it, only to find it lacks the simplest of features that a FREE BOARD came with... Try it. Report back.

But fu** it. I'll just stop giving away my ideas. I don't have to waste my time typing pages out for ignorant people who don't listen or take critisism too well. It's not like vB's gonna implement anything I say away... Might as well go on a quest to sell my ideaas on how to build a perfect board, combining the best of both worlds.

And you know what?

If it's all I seem to talk about it's probably because I used the board for 5 years and
                          IT'S ALL I FRIGGIN KNOW!
                          Last edited by brinnie; Tue 26th Jul '05, 6:49am.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogden2k
                            I don't understand why people that "love" IPB come here and try to crap on vB... I've used IPB, 2.0.x and 2.1 and it does not "rule" over vB in anyway. It's performance lacks.

I could go on, but I won't.

I could go on forever too... IPB sucks ass and there is no perfect board. :-\

Comment

Originally posted by brinnie
                              Herro,

... lots of text...

I'm tired. G'night!
                              Good reply, interesting to read. Some points i really agree with you, some i don't see the problem. But i believe vbulletin is making their software now (vb3.5) in a way, that they can offer things that you want (CMS, gallery and stuff) becuase of the plugin system. Mostly, i hope you will hack some of your rerquirements that you stated in vbulletin, and post them on vb.org
                              Dutch vBullletin users social group!

Comment

Originally posted by brinnie
                                That's your perception... I equally critiqued IPB and vB- They both lack and they both gain. You just want to see what you want. Which is that vB is perfect. It's not. There is no perfect board. I've been on both sides of the fence, I got second site...

YOU try using one board for years and listening to how this "other board" is sooooo better and then finally giving and buying it, only to find it lacks the simplest of features that a FREE BOARD came with... Try it. Report back.

But fu** it. I'll just stop giving away my ideas. I don't have to waste my time typing pages out for ignorant people who don't listen or take critisism too well. It's not like vB's gonna implement anything I say away... Might as well go on a quest to sell my ideaas on how to build a perfect board, combining the best of both worlds.

And you know what?

If it's all I seem to talk about it's probably because I used the board for 5 years and
                                IT'S ALL I FRIGGIN KNOW!
                                First, the pink sucks

Second, as you ain't have been here long, vbulletin does listen to their members (look in the vb suggestions forums). There are a heaps of things that are suggested, and have become part of vbulletin. The only thing they do, is to make sure what they add, is the vbulletin standard, so you know if it's in, it's the quality you expect, and not some half-done hack wich get's changed every release. But you have good idea's, you must also have some patience...
                                Dutch vBullletin users social group!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X