Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Floris
    And how about vBulletin?
    note to everybody posting in this thread: Make sure you try really hard to not make any personal attack posts towards others. Constructive discussions are more then welcome.

Comment

IPB's Administration area is certainly better than vBulletins.
      BUT vBulletin is without a doubt a better message board solution overall.

They both have their +'s and -'s.
      "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

I like IPB's buttons

Their design looks much cleaner..
        That's the end of that!

Comment

The only thing I really like about IPB more than vBulletin is the default style. It just looks more professional to me.

Comment

We aren't afraid of people comparing us to competitive products. It helps us learn where we are lacking, so we welcome threads like these as long as they don't degenerate into pissing contests.
            Webmaster:
            @forumz

Comment

I Like the fact that in IPB you can install skin packages all from within the admin panel, no FTP'ing.

I also think their default look is cleaner and more professional. But I like aesthetics. vB does not look bad, I just think it could use a major makeover appearance wise.

From an actual forum software standpoint I think vB is the leader and will continue to be the leader. I see a lot of the IPB changes and it is very clear where they got their ideas from (my opinion only). vB tends to be a leader, not a follower. They get my respect in that matter.
              Bob- (pank)
              pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

On the skin note, it requires more work for the default install, having to chmod a folder is not a great thing to do, many people are not even aware of what chmoding is or why they have to do it, requiring it for an install or for styles seems above and beyond, IMO.

Comment

They do have free installation for IPB though so if you don't know what it is, someone else could do it for you. However, since I hear their customer support isn't the greatest, I don't know how long you would have to wait to get the install done for you.

Comment

What I like about vB:

- Name and info on top of post.
                    - Default style
                    - Font sizes (11px/13px)
                    - The forum is "inside" a table. (Background is #E1E1E2; table background is white.)
                    - Looks good with table width of 760

What I don't like about IPB:

- Small font size :/ (11 px/12 px)
                    - Doesn't look good with fixed width.
                    - Their smilies. (SO LARGE)

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                      On the skin note, it requires more work for the default install, having to chmod a folder is not a great thing to do, many people are not even aware of what chmoding is or why they have to do it, requiring it for an install or for styles seems above and beyond, IMO.
                      I'll agree to that.
                      Bob- (pank)
                      pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

Originally posted by Sephiroth
                        You can easily edit the templates of vBulletin and get the effect of the quote box.

Now, I own a license for vBulletin and IPB2. I personally prefer vB because once it's set up, you basically don't need to do anything to it and it runs well by itself. but I like IPB only because of the ease of permissions and adding moderators.

The one thing I don't like about IPB is even though I have a license for it, I am still running an encoded version which they won't let me download the source so I have no ability to add any other features to my forum. That's why my main site runs vB. However, when I had a problem with IPB, It was answered within the hour. (Thing is, I had to submit a ticket) I perfer vB because they tend to keep things to the forum.

Now end of my post.. (yea.. I wrote a lot..) IPB2 is still trying to keep the competition up with vB, but if it matters, I will use vB over IPB2 any day.
                        Wow, is there a mod somewhere? I don't know how to make it. And I'm referring to the snap back feature.

Originally posted by Quillz
                        I think both products are great and worth every penny. I actually own an IPB license, and 2.1 is going to be great competition for vB 3.5. Both use AJAX very well, and each continue to add common features, while retaining several unique features. While I don't own a vB license, I've had the pleasure of helping to administrate one. Personally, I don't like vB's ACP as much; while it may have more features, I just don't like the way it's layed out. IPB 2.1 has a much nicer ACP, in my opinion, even if it lacks in the amount of features that vB has.

In the end, though, all that matters is what the end user gets out of their community. Whether they choose to power their community with vB or IPB, they still win.
                        I saw you on the IPB forums.. You're the one that had to lie about getting books to get the license, right? Or was that someone else? Oh well, back on topic... Yeah, I think both products are worth every penny. I do like vBulletin more, but I'm also going to get an IPB license for the fun of it. I want to get used to both products, I think I will still end up being much better on vBulletin than IPB, but well.. It's worth a shot. I"ll be the perfect forum administrator.
                        Let the flames begin.

Comment

I like the RSS, and some of the great ideas that they've been on the ball with. (ajax integration, rss, warning system)

The blog and gallery are quite nice.
                          TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Yes, I do love their gallery and blog system. Possibly vBulletin can create something like that? I would just love to see it, and I would definately buy a license for them if required.
                            Let the flames begin.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B
                              OK well my earlier post in this thread was a bit sarcastic and childish so I'll try to do a bit better.

I've actually got a beta version of IPB 2 running, it is there solely
                              to allow us to run an ibProArcade as well as a v3arcade. What have I
                              found? Well, it's actually a reasonably competent piece of software.
                              Generally people seem to either like IPB layouts and functions or vB
                              ones, for me it's always been vB all the way but it's rather like the
                              old Burger King/McDonalds debate....

The problem for me is in attitudes. People associated with IPB
                              communities always seem to come across as very arrogant. If you have to
                              contact such people, be they board admins, hack authors or even IPB
                              staff, you just get sarcasm and arrogance in replies, eg "well seeing
                              as you have pestered me with your non-issue here's the solution, next
                              time read the manual", that sort of thing.

It is an attitude which seems to pervade almost everything connected
                              with IPB. My best guess as to why this is, is that IPB used to be free,
                              so loads of kids used it, and this sort of attitude is typical of
                              teenagers who get into perceived 'positions of power', such as board
                              admin, hack author or support person.

I am sorry to the many genuine teenagers who do things professionally
                              as by no means everyone is like that, I used to get pretty good support
                              from XMB when I ran that software and many of their support people are
                              teenagers, but with IPB it seems to be a mindset.

Perhaps part of the thinking behind going paid-for is to start to weed
                              that side of things out. I can only hope so for their sake.

IPB's support cannot hold a candle to what is available over here,
                              which is first class and professional in every way, those of us who
                              have similar standards on our own boards really appreciate that, which
                              is partly why my licence will be renewed when it expires on 1st Feb.

Overall though, I consider that IPB is a competent piece of software
                              and, although I prefer vBulletin, IPB's continued presence and success
                              is vital, as healthy competition keeps both products on their
                              toes.

What you describe about IPB is generally when free software is involved.

Maybe they are just in transition.

I've grown dependant on vbulletin features.

Although i like some of theirs too
                              Like multiquoting and warning system by default. Their forums also run extremely quickly from my experience
                              rugs|cheap rugs|modern rugs|shaggy rugs|traditional rugs

Comment

Originally posted by Sephiroth
                                The one thing I don't like about IPB is even though I have a license for it, I am still running an encoded version which they won't let me download the source so I have no ability to add any other features to my forum. That's why my main site runs vB. However, when I had a problem with IPB, It was answered within the hour. (Thing is, I had to submit a ticket) I perfer vB because they tend to keep things to the forum.
                                Do you have hosting through IPS hosting cause if so your license is only good while hosting with them, and yes the "free" license you get while hosting uses the encoded files designed to run only on their servers. If you had an actual full license then you would be able to download the files unencoded.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X