$500 Macintosh???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dean C
    Hmm yet again we english folk end up paying a lot more than people in the US. I'm definately interested in the mini mac
    Not only you

The Mac Mini I would like to have would cost 818 EUR:

It's the more powerfull one with 512MB RAM, Bluetooth and the wireless Mouse and Keyboard.

Exactly the same Mac would cost 621 EUR in the states
    That's the end of that!

Comment

Both sides leverage the value of each other's money. We do it to them, they do it to us, rinse and repeat.

Comment

I see this model as the 'loss leader' in the Apple family, i.e get people interested in the low price and beauty then tempt them with bigger hard drives, memory upgrades etc while also directing them in the direction of other Apple products such as the iPod.

I was tempted by the base model for a few notes under £350, however 256mb RAM is way too low and the RAM prices make the upgrade to 512mb or 1gb totally out of the question. Many people will probably recognize this and Apple are making use of discrimination pricing with the RAM upgrades (Some people will happily pay the Apple prices while others know better).

The hard disk may be a problem for some people but IMO not too much as this seems to be geared at people who just want a Apple computer (Similar to how the new iPod is geared at people who just want the coolness factor associated with the iPod brand).

The SuperDrive is not exactly great value however. CD-R and DVD included in the normal price, but if you want to do DVD writing you're looking at an extra £70. This wouldn't be so bad, but the DVD write speed is only 4x. Today I could purchase a brand new NEC 16x Dual Layer DVD writer for £40.

I have looked at the wireless options and don't really know what to say about them. Is £90 for bluetooth and wireless support that great? Or could you just use add on devices that plug into USB etc to do the same job? Need to do some further research into that as I have a wireless network and therefore it is almost essential my computers can go wireless if needed (Some are close enough to the router to use cabling but this I can see as a portable system).

Keyboard and mouse not much to say - pay the premium if you like the style of the Apple official option or just go out and buy any bog standard USB keyboard/mouse you like. Happy they are not restricting you to using Apple hardware only here.

Finally AppleCare - a decent investment I suppose if you are scared of things like this breaking down but I personally never bother as if something goes after the standard 1 year warranty I just look into the problem myself or stick the item on eBay as spares/repair.

Undecided therefore if I am going to purchase one of these or not. The initial price tag is attractive, but by the time the system is customized I could be looking at a much higher figure.

Comment

The ram upgrade is not insane, its 75 USD for 512MB of DDR 333, which is less than what I paid for my own (of course mine is high end). Remember that this is a single stick of ram, not multiple(of course it does seem atad high for a single gig)

You are also paying for parts that are mac certified.

I dont know many pc's that come with more than 256MB of stock ram(dell,hp,compaq,ect), really i dont. If you do please tell me. (of course look at the pricing)

Considering I have purchased several pc's in the last few months for multiple people including myself, the small system is not that much.

Comment

John, its not a loss leader at all, Apple will do quite well for each of these machines, you can get a higher powered dell with speakers, keyboard, mouse *and* monitor for the same price.

If you go with apple you buy expensive hardware because they use the profit on the hardware to subsidise some of the software, thats a given. Whats good about this mac is you can finally buy a cheap one, but its clearly not a machine designed for power users. If you need more memory and a big hard drive, its probably not the machine for you
            Christopher Padfield
            Web Based Helpdesk
            DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Mini Mac is on my shopping list, if only to get an easy way to test vB with all the dire browsers Mac users have to run...

Comment

Originally posted by Kier
                Mini Mac is on my shopping list, if only to get an easy way to test vB with all the dire browsers Mac users have to run...
                Perhaps that is why Mac chose Konqueror to base Safari around, they knew all the web developers would then have to go out any buy one of these
                Christopher Padfield
                Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

Macs have FF at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                    I dont know many pc's that come with more than 256MB of stock ram(dell,hp,compaq,ect), really i dont. If you do please tell me. (of course look at the pricing)
                    The HP a700y at $450 includes 512M memory, Double Layer DVD writer, keyboard, mouse, etc.

The Compaq SR1010V at $469 includes 512M memory CDR, etc., etc.

eMachines T3958 at $499 includes 512M memory, Double Layer DVD writer, 80G HD, etc.
                    Last edited by hankster; Thu 13 Jan '05, 6:56am.

Comment

• Lets avoid Compaq and HP like the plauge

Comment

• In your post you did ask about HP, Compaq etc. so I just pointed out some pricing for brands that you asked about. Just added an eMachines to the list. Almost every PC manufacturers have comparible prices/features.

Comment

• You are right, however 6 months ago that would not have been true. Prices drop and stats continue to increase, if the mac mini goes well, I imagine we will see abit nicer box next year for around the same price

Comment

• Originally posted by hankster
                            In your post you did ask about HP, Compaq etc. so I just pointed out some pricing for brands that you asked about. Just added an eMachines to the list. Almost every PC manufacturers have comparible prices/features.
                            But ... you are paying somewhat for the small case, that these companies don't offer. In fact, I don't think you can find a WIN PC with such a slimline case for that price (mainly because the companies that make these cases are making them for niche markets, not the mass market like Apple is targetting). This is the cheapest Windows version I have found:

http://www.simplifiedinnovation.com/...%207.30.04.htm
                            Christopher Padfield
                            Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

• The ram upgrade is not insane, its 75 USD for 512MB of DDR 333, which is less than what I paid for my own (of course mine is high end). Remember that this is a single stick of ram, not multiple(of course it does seem atad high for a single gig)
                              The $425 option for 1GB ram does seem a little much, though. Of course, that much ram on such a computer may just be wasted, I know it would for my purposes.

For me, personally, a $500 or $600 Mac is *easily* worth it even if you could show me a comparable Dell for less because of Mac OS X.
                              TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrispadfield
                                But ... you are paying somewhat for the small case,
                                And you consider THAT an advantage? Prolly the big brick power supply they will have to use is bigger then the main Mac unit itself. No updating or expanding except to clutter your desk with a bunch of expensive USB devices... and then end up taking up more room then a nice small or slimline case would have taken up in the first place.

Just noticed that Dell has

Dimension 3000 P4 2.8G, 80G HD, 512M, CDR for $389 (free shipping)
                                Poweredge SC420 P4 HT 2.8G, 160G HD, 512M DDR2 $459 (free shipping)
                                Both even include a keyboard and mouse!!!

Even better yet
                                Inspiron 1150 laptop 2.6G Cel., 256M, 30G HD, 14.1" TFT, CDR, wireless for $599
                                Last edited by hankster; Thu 13 Jan '05, 12:45pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X