Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain name dilemma

Here is the deal.

Back in March, I wanted to start a site for the new chevy cobalt ss.

So I looked for domain names, and all the good domains were taken, but no sites were up.

I settled for .net. (.com was taken nothing up)

Few moths later the owner of cobaltss.com emails me to buy my site, I email him to buy his domain, we don’t agree.

Well now he is starting to put his site up. So if people visit my site, and remember cobaltss, they might forget .net and type .com. He has no content and has members already!

I am not afraid of competition, there are about 5 cobalt forums out there right now, I am just afraid of confusion.

What should I do? Switch my site to a new domain? I cant come up with any good ones!

help
    Last edited by JonelZ; Mon 27 Dec '04, 9:56pm.
    http://webdirectoryforums.com - Web Directory Forums - Coming soon!
    http://linkageplus.com - PR5

There is basicly nothing you can do. He has the .com and that means users will type in the .com quicker then .net

You can keep the .net domain and buy another .com where you run vBulletin forum on. And just point the .net domain to the .com domain. This way you enjoy hits from both sides and hopefully beat the competition.

Comment

Is it hard to switch the Forums to a new domain?

I am also having the worst time finding a good .com domain name. Everything is taken.
      http://webdirectoryforums.com - Web Directory Forums - Coming soon!
      http://linkageplus.com - PR5

Comment

No, it isn't hard. There are two steps to take.
        1- Update your global board settings: Admin Control Panel > vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > Site URL & Details Settings
        2- Update your vbulletin.com/members license details by clicking on 'edit license' and set the new URL.

Comment

What I would do is change the name altogether to a .com name... I know you said it's hard to find a good one... but why dont you try contacting the owners of the good ones and see if they're willing to sell? If you can't find a good name with Cobalt SS in it, then get something dealing with cobalts.... for example, if I wanted to start a mustang site, and all the good names were taken, I'd register something like wildhorse.com (dictionary.com definition of mustang) ...... maybe not something as lame as wildhorse.com lol but you get my drift

MGM out

Comment

Check ur PMs
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I feel your pain.

I want to change the name of my current site. I first found it funny, but 2 years later realizing people think of me as a big pervert. Nothing wrong with it I guess, but I don't like that type of image. Its hard to find a creative name such as RuNaked.com but dealing with a general community.

I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to find a .com that would be just as good and haven't been able to do it yet.

Best of Luck to you.

Comment

CobaltDiscussions.com
                ColbaltSSForums.com
                ColbaltSSEnthousiasts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
                  CobaltDiscussions.com
                  ColbaltSSForums.com
                  ColbaltSSEnthousiasts.com
                  It should be ColbaltSSEnthusiasts.com

I, personally, like domains like yourCobaltSS.com or myCobaltSS.com something like that because it's a community where people discuss their Cobalt SS
                  Last edited by MrNase; Mon 27 Dec '04, 7:35am.
                  That's the end of that!

Comment

Make sure you brand the .NET in your header so people realize the difference between the two.
                    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by MrNase
                      It should be ColbaltSSEnthusiasts.com

I, personally, like domains like yourCobaltSS.com or myCobaltSS.com something like that because it's a community where people discuss their Cobalt SS
                      Yes, each time I doubt 'is it .. o uhm.. ' and end up typing it wrong time after time.

(when will vb get that spellchecker!)

Comment

I suffered the same problem of .com being taken so I decided to actively market the fact my site ended with .NET - for instance we always refer to the site like 'sto.NET' when we're talking about it or in emails so we really try to get it to stick in peoples minds - and luckily, the owner of .com isn't doing anything with his site, yet.

As Reeve pointed out, branding .net is the key really, make sure they remember the url.
                        Aye

Comment

Google makes a good spellchecker! I use it heavily!

Originally posted by Floris
                          Yes, each time I doubt 'is it .. o uhm.. ' and end up typing it wrong time after time.

(when will vb get that spellchecker!)
                          Kim

Comment

Sell that domain to the .com (at least make some money from it) and get a new one that is dot com.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin
                              Sell that domain to the .com (at least make some money from it) and get a new one that is dot com.
                              First transfer everything to a new domain, and get it going for a few months.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X