X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave_Logic
    replied
    Vbportal is leagues ahead of the others in terms of core features. Once more hacks / modules are developed there will be only one choice IMHO

Leave a comment:

• Gary King
    replied
    I think the CMPS beats them all.

Leave a comment:

• omsa
    replied
    I have used vBadvanced, vBindex, and vBPortal.

I decided to go with vBPortal. No mod to any of the vbulletin files is required and I find it is easier to use as far as setting things up etc.

I have been very happy with vBPortal. I was not very impressed with vBindex at all.

vBadvanced was ok, but it was very new when I looked at it.

They all seem to do about the same job as well.

Leave a comment:

• C_P
    replied
    Originally posted by KW802
    C_P,

There is no "official" VB portal.

Am I understanding correctly.... MKPortal doesn't actually pull any threads from the forums?
    Hey Kevin!
    Currently this is being finished and among other things, includes:
    [All] Add Importing news form a specified forum as a category of mkportal news with settings in Portal Cp.
    Currently, the News module is for this content purpose. Once M05 is released, the ability to "pull any threads from the forums" will complete this CMS.
    I know this function is a base in most portal systems and will be available shortly for MANY forum types including vB, phBB, SMF, IBP, etc., however, this portal CMS has much more that the ability to create blocks and custom pages.
    To have a furthere discussion of the details of what the portal can do as well as release dates, it may be best to speak to it's developer or visit the site for all the details.

Leave a comment:

• KW802
    replied
    C_P,

There is no "official" VB portal.

Am I understanding correctly.... MKPortal doesn't actually pull any threads from the forums?

Leave a comment:

• vbcore
    replied
    I just started doing some major template modifications to my board that is running on vBAdvanced, and it is looking great! I will post a link soon

Leave a comment:

• C_P
    replied
    I do not use either anymore. I used vBadvanced for a bit as it is the "official" vB portal and thought it did the job for me.
    I did want more of a full CMS package and not just blocks and ability to add pages.
    I wanted more of a way to "manage my content" with news topic catagories (with or without images), aadjusting the blocks to follow you throughout the forum with a click of a button rather than modifying code, as well as permissions via portal CP which this all has!
    In addition to, and can be used or turned off if needed:
    Blog
    Gallery
    Shoutbox
    Downloads
    News
    TopSite
    Reviews
    Quotes
    Chat

This is all a early release for vB as we were the first site to be using it for vB and there are more complient code things in the works for mk portal but right now, it is amazing in what it does for me.

Here is the link to see the portal and get the download MKPortal
    We use it at www.cpfools.com

Leave a comment:

• hjmaier
    replied
    To get back to the topic:

I use vBportal. i use it because it fits better to my needs the vbadvance do.

To be honest, i dont understand the arguing in here. The people use the piece of software they like most/fit there own needs best. Why this arguing about wierd arguments?

Best regards
    hj

Leave a comment:

• Dave-G
    replied
    Sine this seems a good hearted thread, is there any need for a poll answer of " Huh? WTH is a Portal" as it seems to detract from the thread.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    No, as long as people stay on topic it's fine.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Anime
    replied
    should this thread be locked then?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    As scotsmist said, please continue all further discussions regarding this issue at the vBPortal forums. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• AWS
    replied
    there isn't any gpl in vbportal 3.x for vbulletin 3.x - you must have had a copy that was before gold.

open source has got nothing to do with gpl.

If you insist on discussing it, do so at vbportal.com and let the thread get back on topic, or start another thread so I can ignore you.
    Version was v3 beta 2.
    Real mature of you to reply as you did. Maybe you should read up on open source and gpl before you respond. Most open source software is released under the gpl license or some such similiar license like gnu or fsf.
    I have obtained a copy of vbp 3 gold. It was emailed to me. I will do a side by side comparison of it to phpnuke and post my results at your site.
    This is my last post in this thread so it can head back on topic. Any further discussion will be over at vbp.

Leave a comment:

• scotsmist
    replied
    there isn't any gpl in vbportal 3.x for vbulletin 3.x - you must have had a copy that was before gold.

open source has got nothing to do with gpl.

If you insist on discussing it, do so at vbportal.com and let the thread get back on topic, or start another thread so I can ignore you.

Leave a comment:

• AWS
    replied
    There is no GPL code in vbportal 3.x for vbulletin 3.x
    Oh yes there is. I found phpnuke code in banners.php the only vbportal file I had. I did some work for a client using vbportal and downloaded banner.php a while back to make the changes for her. Comparing vbportals banner.php to phpnuke 7.2 banner.php showed phpnuke code being used.

I fully understand the difference between open source and gpl, but, I'm not going to argue about it. Lets just that the only difference between open source and gpl is the license. GPL is a license many devs use to release their work. The ones that don't use GPL and still distribute open source software have their own license. Most of them state the same thing as GPL, but, make it clearer as to what can and can't be done with it. I have yet to see any restriction placed on modifying, using the work in other apps or distributing derivatives of the work of any open source project. I have seen these restrictions on software such as vbulletin and ipb, which by your definition would be open source. We all know the source is freely available to those who pay, but, it doesn't make it open source.

Read this page:

http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition_plain.html
    Last edited by AWS; Tue 18th Jan '05, 10:44am.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X