• Show
Clear All

• Sc0rian
    replied
    <Jumping in world war 3>
    vbportal here

</Jumping out>

- S
    Last edited by Sc0rian; Sat 29 Jan '05, 2:03pm.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    pimping = promoting/selling in this context

Leave a comment:

• scotsmist
    replied
    its maybe best if I just leave this thread. being called a pimp is a bit much for me to take in right now. it implys something different here in the uk I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by scotsmist
    why is that remark aimed at me directly and not any of the other members who have spoke about their portal (including posting links). I didn't start this thread nor post a link, just sticking up for vbportal.

why not just delete/close this thread. its getting to be yet another dig at vbportal anyway, thanks.

Stuart
    Stuart, I was just trying to point out, in a friendly and joking manner, that you are not truly unbiased in your opinions and, regardless of what you have said, you do not disclose your financial interest in vBPortal when you pimp it here on the boards, which is sort of taboo to begin with.

If you would show me someone else in this thread pimping their product without disclosing the fact that they make their living from it, I will gladly chide them also.

Leave a comment:

• scotsmist
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin
    Scott,
    Considering your financial interest in vBPortal, why should anyone take your opinion with more than a grain of salt?

If you want to buy advertizing on vBulletin, our rates are excessive, but we do offer a pretty large and savvy target base.
    why is that remark aimed at me directly and not any of the other members who have spoke about their portal (including posting links). I didn't start this thread nor post a link, just sticking up for vbportal.

why not just delete/close this thread. its getting to be yet another dig at vbportal anyway, thanks.

Stuart

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Scott,
    Considering your financial interest in vBPortal, why should anyone take your opinion with more than a grain of salt?

If you want to buy advertizing on vBulletin, our rates are excessive, but we do offer a pretty large and savvy target base.

Leave a comment:

• KW802
    replied
    <snip> So I'm not trying to convince anyone here, just correcting the posts that periodically popup on this site by misinformed individuals and a few that just don't know what they are talking about and may likely not legally used vbportal 3.x for vbulletin 3.x.
    Yeah, OK.

Leave a comment:

• ShadyNight
    replied
    **SNIP**

Point is, with vbadvanced, your hacking your forums to bits, but not so with vbportal. No files to change, no upgrade worries (you have to redo all those vbadvanced hacks again - and recently with 3 rapid vb updates, that's got to be painfull).
    **Snip**
    While you whole post was very true, and important, I really wanted to pick out this section most!

Since I've started using vbPortal3, I have yet had to re-do anything involving the portal, after upgrading the board.

Once You get the right layout for your templates, it's a breeze, and nothing gets broken.

I can remember (way back ) when I used vba, and I had to upgrade the board ... everyone thought the forums were down, because the portal was broken. That was around the time I started using vbPortal actually, members voted hands down to use a beta version fully working, than vba, because of that.

Leave a comment:

• scotsmist
    replied
    While it is true that vbportal won't suit everyone, it is the more powerful by far. Having used vbadvanced and vbindex now, I know this first hand.
    On a side note: what vbadvanced calls modules, vbportal calls blocks. In vbportal a module is a page that displays content from a specific area, such as latest threads, reviews, links, classifed, content, faqs, statistics, tracker, secure downloads, news, more polls, etc where as a block pulls content from an area of your site and displays it in a module. modules are content driven and have multiple pages depending on what your viewing. vbPortal has an empty module that can be used to only display blocks (much like vbadvanced's portal) but all of the other 23 (to date) modules can have their own set of blocks (there are 60 blocks to date). If you want the latest reviews block and the latest news block displayed in your reviews module, but not in the latest threads, where you want top posters and who's online, you've got it. Every page can have its own set of blocks. vbadvanced is a simple front page unless you buy the reviews or links add-ons which come standard with vbportal. The sidebar in the forums is standard with vbportal as is a newsletter and full cms in the form of portalcp, whereas vbadvanced hacks into vbulletin's admincp. in fact vbadvanced requires you hack vbulletin files to get it installed whereas vbportal does not. vbPortal also runs in its own directory whereas vbadvanced has to be installed in your forums directory. If you want the forums under the portal, you can't do that with vbadvanced (unless there's a hack now). Point is, with vbadvanced, your hacking your forums to bits, but not so with vbportal. No files to change, no upgrade worries (you have to redo all those vbadvanced hacks again - and recently with 3 rapid vb updates, that's got to be painfull).

A single instance of where vbportal is more powerful - you can browse every single thread using the latest threads module. You can have blocks pulling the latest threads into any of the other modules and you can also set each block to pull a different number of results. for instance you can show 10 latest threads and 4 latest news, but 8 latest reviews, etc. You can display output from external syndicated newsfeeds in a block and each newsfeed can display a different number of results. So you can show 10 from sourceforge, but restrict the virus threats feed to 4.

Each module can have center blocks too. Each module can have different center blocks and the results displayed in the center blocks can all be different.

I would say that anyone who has used vbportal 3.x for vbulletin 3.x and used vbadvanced knows what I am talking about. So I'm not trying to convince anyone here, just correcting the posts that periodically popup on this site by misinformed individuals and a few that just don't know what they are talking about and may likely not legally used vbportal 3.x for vbulletin 3.x.
    Last edited by scotsmist; Wed 26 Jan '05, 4:05am.

Leave a comment:

• KW802
    replied
    Originally posted by Nightshade
    Not to change your mind vbcore, but what features does vBa have that vbPortal doesn't? I'd bet my oldest child (please??? ) that anything vBa does, vbPortal could do, but better.
    That's strictly a matter of opinion. You could get into an arguement with somebody back & forth about which is better but in the end it resolves with which one fits an individual's needs better.

in vbPortal, I just go in, click on the block I want to move, tell it where I want it, save, and done. Do that in two spots for somethings, but still, much simplier.
    With vBa CMPS moving a module to a different column is as simple as clicking on a little arrrow to move it between the columns.

I've added quite a few of my "own" pages into it with no problems. Never could get the hang of it for vba AND make them look right.
    The concept of creating new "pages" with CMPS seems to be one of the common problems with new users of it. Once they get the hang of it though most people have no problem creating new pages with what they want & how they want it to look.

In the end it all comes down to opinions and how familiar the user is with making changes. For some people vBa CMPS is the best solution while for others Portal or Index may be a better answer. I'd suggest that somebody try the free ones (vBa CMPS & vB Index) first to see if it fits their needs, and also to see how the support for the products are, and go from there.

Leave a comment:

• KW802
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron G
    Maybe I'm missing something, but what does vbadvanced do? In vbportal, you can include an enormous amount of content in various modules. I didn't see anything like this on the vbadvanced site.
    There isn't much that can be done with one that can't be done in the other. One of the things that I notice new users complaining about is that vB Portal & others come out-of-the-box with a number of generic modules while with vBa CMPS it's really up to the users to create their own modules for what they want to do. Personally I think vBa CMPS is the more flexibile of the two but that's just my opinion. Since vBa CMPS is a free product I suggest that anybody evaluating the products to at least try it out on their test site and see if does what they want; hanging out on http://www.vbadvanced.com to check out the modules released by the community would be helpful to them while they're evaulating it. If the person isn't happy with it then uninstallation is pretty easy and no harm done.

Leave a comment:

• ShadyNight
    replied
    Not to change your mind vbcore, but what features does vBa have that vbPortal doesn't?

I'd bet my oldest child (please??? ) that anything vBa does, vbPortal could do, but better.

I've use vBa ... the only thing different? vba is VERY simplified and perfect for someone who doesn't know coding, but knows some html. All I ever had to do was copy the code in the index template, copy into an html editor, find the code I wanted to chang, change it, paste it back into the index template, save it, see if it worked (even 1st page doesn't show everything right), if not, start over again! If it did work? cool.

in vbPortal, I just go in, click on the block I want to move, tell it where I want it, save, and done. Do that in two spots for somethings, but still, much simplier.

I've added quite a few of my "own" pages into it with no problems. Never could get the hang of it for vba AND make them look right.

Leave a comment:

• vbcore
    replied
    I personally think vBA has more useful features..

Leave a comment:

• Synchro
    replied
    Tried both, finally gave up with vbadvanced and went for the better choice of vbportal. No contest in my mind.

Leave a comment:

• Ron G
    replied
    Maybe I'm missing something, but what does vbadvanced do? In vbportal, you can include an enormous amount of content in various modules. I didn't see anything like this on the vbadvanced site.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X