Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i like vbportal becz there is many options then vba .. and i also like the vba when u can creat a news like

/page=software
    /page=game

and so on this is really great options.. but vbportal have so many and i'am perty sure they are going to make it more powerfull..

thanks

Comment

I've been using vBPortal for over 3 years and think it's the best out there. It's very easy to manipulate to give your site the look you want, and the functionality is more than I could ever hope for. I haven't tried bBAdvanced as I have no reason to switch so I can't lend an opinion on it. I'll stick with vBPortal.

Comment

First time using vbportal and I will stick with it, excellent help and support just like the help and support we get here. Did not like vbadvanced.

Comment

vbPortal rocks

vbPortal is the choice.
          1. support is more than great
          2. super easy to install
          3. super extendable
          4. easy to add own blocks
          5. has a lot of features
          6. good community

I only would replace vbPortal with Mambo if mambo would integrate as good as into vbulletin as vbPortal does.

vbPortal rocks.

regards
          blub

Comment

I have run vbportal2 for a few years, then moved to Mambo, tried vbpotal3 including the final release and now use vbadvanced. My other site runs Postnuke (old habits die hard) vbportal2 did everything I wanted and more and I loved it. When vbulletin 3 came around I moved to Mambo as I did not like the new page layout and setting up and placing of blocks in vbp3. It is less intuitive than anything else I have used, and to be honest, the attraction of the early nukes was that your time could be spent adding content rather than working out how to use the software.

I feel this new more complicated system (in comparison to the nukes) was licence lead rather than for the admins benefit. And that was the reason for my decision to use vbadvanced, I could never allow my site to be at the whim of a ever changing licence and if I added sponsors or charged for content to my site, that would mean changes to the licence yet again. Drop your subscription and you have to remove the software from your site, I have never seen such a licence and one question in this regard has remained unanswered on their forums for a while now.

More over, once you pay for the one year membership, your vbportal licenses will not expire. The only thing that expires is your yearly Premium Membership and free updates to the scripts.
            That was posted on October 2004, then changed to this;

The license is effective from the date you receive the Software and Documentation. The term of this license shall expire immediately upon the expiration of the licensee’s subscription, at which time you must destroy the entire contents of this package and any and all Software copies.
            Taking an example, I am looking at providing information on my site regarding local government legislation, to do this I may use the services of a political researcher who is doing this paid work for her employer, who has intimated that for a minimal cost he could make certain information available to third parties.

This cost is way above what I could pay for a hobby site so this section of my forums would be subscription based to gain access. That according to the vbportal licence deems my site commercial. To conclude, the licence in general with quotes like the company, Export Controls, modified open source scripts, is so full of holes and unenforceable limitations it's like a string vest.

Now possibily the licence has changed again and I have got the above all wrong.

Comment

I was reading through the vbportal license after you posted.
              Seems like they might be violating the GPL license.
              vbPortal is a package of various non-open source scripts and modified open source scripts packaged to work in conjunction with vBulletin, a commercial forums software product Copyright 2000, 2004, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited, vbPortal is not a standalone software product in part or whole. vbPortal utilizes vBulletin as its core component.
              If anything is GPLed and I suume some of the phpnuke code is still in it. Then they violate much of the GPL license. This one sticks out in particular. Taken from GPL license.
              Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to these terms and conditions. You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein. You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to this License.
              A couple years back phpnuke got in trouble with GPL for not including the GPL license with the download, taking the copyrights out of the script and trying to stop people from distrubuting phpnuke. It all started when the dev wanted to go pay to play only.
              The vbportal license is isn't worth the time it took to right it up. If there is GPL code in it you can use for as long as you want and you can make it available for download if you choose.
              Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

I only voted for vBa CMPS because I rather use something that you don't have to pay for number one as I am already shelling out enough clams for my dedicated server and I really don't make much from the sites either. I really don't like vBportal much but that might be because of the days I used it in the vB2 days and had my site shutdown on several different hosts because it was being rather query intensive and bogging the server down. But that may have changed.... I'm not quite sure but I'd rather stick with vBa unless I learn how to code something of my own.

Comment

Originally posted by AWS
                  I was reading through the vbportal license after you posted.
                  Seems like they might be violating the GPL license.

If anything is GPLed and I suume some of the phpnuke code is still in it. Then they violate much of the GPL license. This one sticks out in particular. Taken from GPL license.

A couple years back phpnuke got in trouble with GPL for not including the GPL license with the download, taking the copyrights out of the script and trying to stop people from distrubuting phpnuke. It all started when the dev wanted to go pay to play only.
                  The vbportal license is isn't worth the time it took to right it up. If there is GPL code in it you can use for as long as you want and you can make it available for download if you choose.
                  There is no GPL code in vbportal 3.0, it is a completely different program than vbportal 2.0. , the addons for 2.0 were derived from phpnuke, but even in vbportal 2.0 the core was not phpnuke. Advising people that they can make it available for downloading is not something you should do.

Again vbPortal 3.0 is not GPL. it is not the same program as vbPortal 2.0

Additionally the licensing is no longer an issue. We only charge for Premium Membership and vbportal is given free to Premium Members. Your copy of vbPortal will never expire. We also do not charge extra for the addons, all the extras are free as well. Preminum Membership is $20 per year, hardly enough to keep our site open. This entitles you to updates for a year, any new addons, styles etc.

That said, I seem to have neglected to update the licensing agreement properly. I say that because it's being interpeted like I didn't intend it to be. It will be rewritten for the next update to clearly state that once you purchase your initial Premium Membership, you vbportal license will not expire, it is good for ever how long you own it.I appologise for any mis-wording, nothing was intentional.

I've been a vBulletin supporter for years since version 1.0 and have always been square.

The very first version of vBulletin was open source, that's the way a lot of programs start out. There is nothing wrong with trying to break even or make a little extra to keep the wife off you back

This started as a hobby and the license has changed several times, but so has vBulletins. As we learn more we try to make things right, additionally we have always grandfathered our existing users to what ever agreement they had with us.

P.S. "modified open source scripts " was meant to convey the fact that we do have third party addons that might be posted in the forums. For instance we might hack an open souce program to work with vbPortal and/or vBulletin and that would be open source, but it's not added to the package. It's an addon, not part of vbportal. I can see that we need to re-write the agreement as it's being mis-understood.
                  Last edited by wajones; Mon 17th Jan '05, 10:48pm.

Comment

Centris, I just want to clarify this mistake I made.

You quoted this from the vbPortal license agreement.

More over, once you pay for the one year membership, your vbportal licenses will not expire. The only thing that expires is your yearly Premium Membership and free updates to the scripts.

That was posted on October 2004, then changed to this;

Quote:
                    The license is effective from the date you receive the Software and Documentation. The term of this license shall expire immediately upon the expiration of the licensee’s subscription, at which time you must destroy the entire contents of this package and any and all Software copies
                    We were wanting to write an agreement more on the lines of vBulletin with a leased version and a owned version. That statement was intended for the leased version not the owned version.

We finally decided that we would only have an owned version. Unfortunately the License agreement got screwed up in the process of being re-wriiten to reflect this.

All I can do is appologise and make public that it was never intended to be this way. No one has ever been asked to destroy their copy of vbportal with the exception of warez copies.

A users copy of vbPortal does not expire if he/she decides not to be a Premium Member and never will. It also doesn't matter if you use it on a commercial site, it's all the same.

P.S. To the moderators. I'm sorry this has resulted in posts like this, but when something is brought up, it has to be cleared up.
                    Last edited by wajones; Mon 17th Jan '05, 11:45pm.

Comment

VBPORTAL all the way, I'm very happy with it, and wouldnt change to anything else. got all for my needs, plus all lot more.

Thumbs up!!

Comment

So you're saying there is no trace of phpnuke code or any other GPL code in it any longer?
                        Advising people that they can make it available for downloading is not something you should do.
                        I'm not advisong anyone to distribute it. I'm only pointing out that they can if there is GPL code in it.
                        vBulletin was never open source. I was following the development from the beginning and was one of the first to purchse a license. It was always paid for. Maybe you misunderstand what open source means. Open source means freely available, can be used in other apps and freely distributed by third parties as long as the license and copyrights remain in the program. You could never distribute vbulletin.

Comment

open source does not mean freely available - free as in free beer. it means the source code is developed openly, unlike for example Windows OS code which was not open source (until a big debate, when bits became open source).

Open and source are the key words. Open, as in openly developed and open to viewing, and source as in the source code. Open Source programs, commercial or otherwise come with source code (or at least you can get the source code), unlike Microsoft source code which isn't distributed and instead a compiled code is available. reverse engineering of their distributed code is an offense (M$ say).

GPL is where software is free (as in free beer) under a licence. the whole idea works well for this. It still protects the intellectual property of the owner, but the user is given consent to modify, redistribute, etc the code, without clause (usually, except for keeping in the original credit). It doesn't say you can't charge for doing that under GPL incidently (SuSE, Red Hat, etc make a living doing it) as long as your not charging for the GPL 'free' code - free as in free beer.
                          There is no GPL code in vbportal 3.x for vbulletin 3.x

We would be happy to discuss this at vbportal.com so the thread can get back on topic.
                          Last edited by scotsmist; Tue 18th Jan '05, 8:57am.
                          vbPortal Developer

Comment

There is no GPL code in vbportal 3.x for vbulletin 3.x
                            Oh yes there is. I found phpnuke code in banners.php the only vbportal file I had. I did some work for a client using vbportal and downloaded banner.php a while back to make the changes for her. Comparing vbportals banner.php to phpnuke 7.2 banner.php showed phpnuke code being used.

I fully understand the difference between open source and gpl, but, I'm not going to argue about it. Lets just that the only difference between open source and gpl is the license. GPL is a license many devs use to release their work. The ones that don't use GPL and still distribute open source software have their own license. Most of them state the same thing as GPL, but, make it clearer as to what can and can't be done with it. I have yet to see any restriction placed on modifying, using the work in other apps or distributing derivatives of the work of any open source project. I have seen these restrictions on software such as vbulletin and ipb, which by your definition would be open source. We all know the source is freely available to those who pay, but, it doesn't make it open source.

Read this page:

http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition_plain.html
                            Last edited by AWS; Tue 18th Jan '05, 11:44am.

Comment

there isn't any gpl in vbportal 3.x for vbulletin 3.x - you must have had a copy that was before gold.

open source has got nothing to do with gpl.

If you insist on discussing it, do so at vbportal.com and let the thread get back on topic, or start another thread so I can ignore you.
                              vbPortal Developer

Comment

there isn't any gpl in vbportal 3.x for vbulletin 3.x - you must have had a copy that was before gold.

open source has got nothing to do with gpl.

If you insist on discussing it, do so at vbportal.com and let the thread get back on topic, or start another thread so I can ignore you.
                                Version was v3 beta 2.
                                Real mature of you to reply as you did. Maybe you should read up on open source and gpl before you respond. Most open source software is released under the gpl license or some such similiar license like gnu or fsf.
                                I have obtained a copy of vbp 3 gold. It was emailed to me. I will do a side by side comparison of it to phpnuke and post my results at your site.
                                This is my last post in this thread so it can head back on topic. Any further discussion will be over at vbp.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X