U.S. Patriot act can extend to blogs (and forums) critical of government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its a vast right wing conspiracy.....

There is alot in the patriot act that wasnt needed, but there is good in it to. The wall between the CIA and FBI was broken which was a very good thing.
    http://www.oscweb.com/writing/tearingdown.html

Run to Canada if you wish, its rather crazy if you ask me. Dont get your way, cry and run to another country that will pat your back and comfort you with your Post Election Stress Syndrome. You people take things to the extremes. If you really think George Bush is going to run this country into the ground thats just sad. You need to step away from CNN and BBC and start using your common sense.

George Bush is far from a great President. However he handled 9/11 extremely well. Went into Afghanastan and defeated the Taliban. You can disagree all you want about Iraq but he didnt go into Iraq for oil or to finish his dads was. Thats just stupid.

He was given bad intelligence and he acted on that bad intelligence like he should have. He didnt listen to Colin Powell (or rather Donald Rumsfield didnt) and we went in with alot less troops than we should have. We are now paying the price. However I think things are starting to turn around for the better. To find out we will have to wait and see.

You people need to get off your hatred for this man for whatever reason it is. You just need to start using common sense.

I have said my spill on this and wont be back to check on this thread. Arguing over the internet is just plain stupid. I said what I wanted to say and I will leave it at that.

Comment

As I said, as long as it doesn't inconvenience Bush supporters, it has to be okay for everyone
      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tolitz
        As I said, as long as it doesn't inconvenience Bush supporters, it has to be okay for everyone
        How has it inconvienced you? I havent been affected by it...... like I said the Patriot Act had alot of unneeded details added into it, but overall its better than where we were before 9/11 as far as a communication between agencies and intelligence gatherings.

I voted for Bush but i will be the first one to tell you he isnt the best man for the job. But he is a hell of alot better than John Kerry. I would prefer to see John McCain or the likes of Dick Gephardt as President myself. If both were to run I would vote for McCain as I believe he is closer to the center of things than anyone else and he shares many of the views I do.

Had the democrats not been so stupid as to put John Kerry on the ballot and picked someone like Joe Lieberman or Dick Gephardt I probably would I have voted for either one.

So stop trying to pin me as some loyal Bush supporter/republican. Because I am not

Comment

Originally posted by BrentWilson
          How has it inconvienced you? I havent been affected by it......
          I haven't been "inconvenienced" by it either, however I'd rather not wait until I am. Parts of the Patriot Act are as un-American as any legislation ever passed. Under certain circumstances, they can detain someone and not allow that person the ability to even contact a lawyer. Chances are it will never affect either of us directly, but are you comfortable giving the government that power?

The PA was passed right after 9/11. Had our legislators given it proper consideration, it would not have passed as is. I am not saying we need to throw out the Patriot Act (an ironic name, wouldn't you say?) and replace it with nothing. But its replacement should provide law enforcement the tools it needs without compromising our civil liberties.
          Whistle Stopper Political Forums
          Make your opinions known -- politics, religion, culture -- join the discussion

Comment

Originally posted by rooshine
            Since many of us run forums and have other sites, this is a little scary. The Patriot Act can extend to blogs and forums critical of the government.
            Why should we care? We have nothing to hide, right?

Comment

Originally posted by BrentWilson
              How has it inconvienced you? I havent been affected by it...... like I said the Patriot Act had alot of unneeded details added into it, but overall its better than where we were before 9/11 as far as a communication between agencies and intelligence gatherings.
              Do you own a weblog? I run a weblog. I run a technical support forum. maintain a few forums where freedom of speech and opinion is the norm. So if it doesn't affect you, you don't care how it affects other people?

We have seen so many reports about police enforcement divisions extending the Patriot Act to several cases that have nothing to do with terrorism. The Patriot Act is so easily abusable that it isn't just a joke that so many holes have been seen in it.

You see it as "unneeded details", I see it as potential human rights violation. But hey, as long as you can sleep at night and not have to worry about it, it's all okay, right?

So many people have constantly tried to keep the wounds of 9/11 so fresh that they remain so blind to potential human rights violations introduced by new laws that are supposed to keep them safe from the BAD people... hey, people should shut up as long as they are made to feel safe, right?

yeah right...

As they say, don't fix it if it ain't broke ... I tell you now, the Patriot Act is BROKE. They should FIX it now... and while they're at it, change its stupid name to something a little more appropriate, like the Terrorism Protection Act...
              Last edited by Tolitz; Fri 19 Nov '04, 2:06am.
              OPEN TECH SUPPORT
              "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

The Patriot Act ... Terrorism Protection Act ... My beliefs are better than yours Act .....

Lets ask some people from Guantanamo bay who live in daily torture how constitutional it is shall we.

So many people have constantly tried to keep the wounds of 9/11 so fresh
                Ignorance and fear, tried and tested way of manipulating a populace.
                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

The only way this thing passed is because of the fact that Bush played on people's shock at that time. It is just wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rooshine
                    ....... Chances are it will never affect either of us directly, but are you comfortable giving the government that power?......
                    Until they choose to use it that way.

And in the mean time the regime can do what they like to whom and wave the US flag over it, and people wonder why the world is upset about it ?

So it truly is a case of :

"I'm alright Jack, doesn’t effect me I don't care, I don't care what my country does with my tax dollar in my name, I'll protect them because if I don't agree 100% at all times with the party belief I'm not pro America there four I must be anti ?"

Sounds dangerous to me, especially when the party can do what they like as long as they can invent some evidence ........ err discover intelligence I mean.
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

My question is how are they getting away with this - it just seems wrong

Comment

Originally posted by James Kojiro
                        You live there, go and ask some people. Gauge the answer by their reactions as well as what they say. Then go read 1984.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I have read 1984, it should have been called 2004. Hang on, let me ask people around me
                          Originally posted by Female that I don't know her name
                          It's gay
                          Originally posted by Klein
                          What do I think about you, youre an ass. You freakin ass. *Snort*

Comment

Its the checks and balance system at work... Congress Passes the Laws, The Executive (President) enacts the laws, the courts uphold and execute the laws.

However Congress can pass laws and it takes years for it to get to the courts and challenged. We are starting to see that now. I don't think anyone is protesting about allowing law enforcement agencies to work together, share information and all the other good things in the act.

The problems with it is that it removes "Innocent until Proven Guilty", allows people to be held without counsel, invalidates portions of the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution, ignores the Fifth Amendment of the Constitution. It can even be argued that it is against the Second Amendment as well because it being used to track gun distribution.

And while I personally feel that the situation in Guantanamo Bay isn't being handled correctly, it doesn't have anything to do with the Patriot Act because the U.S. Constitution doesn't cover those captured during combat. It does have international legal implications that need to be looked at and handled properly.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

If you are accused of stealing a car, you wanna be able to defend yourself, wouldn't you? Well, because of Bush's regime, you can't now.

Comment

If you are accused of stealing a car, you wanna be able to defend yourself, wouldn't you? Well, because of Bush's regime, you can't now.
                                This is a bit of an exaggeration
                                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X