U.S. Patriot act can extend to blogs (and forums) critical of government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Patriot act can extend to blogs (and forums) critical of government

Since many of us run forums and have other sites, this is a little scary. The Patriot Act can extend to blogs and forums critical of the government.
    Whistle Stopper Political Forums
    Make your opinions known -- politics, religion, culture -- join the discussion

that is scarry indeed. i like comment #14 the best

Comment

They will get me for sure now...*runs*

Got a Boxer?
      BoxerTalk

Comment

Personally I wouldn't stand for that.

It's more than scary, its the thought police in action.
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

its the crusades all over again.

Comment

hey as long as it keeps Americans with values safe, right?

</sarcasm>
            OPEN TECH SUPPORT
            "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Every time a portion of the Patriot Act has come in front of the courts, that section has been deemed unconstitutional. It is being whittled to death and there is already legislation proposed to work through the deficiencies in the act which was passed based on fear and by partially uninformed people.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Found this post in my forums, which is quite interesting...

Theres a book I'm reading about this called "All The President's Spin" by the guys over at spinsanity.com, undoubtedly the best partisan-free look at fact spinning in politics. Positive wording is a major part of the book, and the spinsanity.com editors did a fantastic job pointing out how sucessfully this administration has marketed their policies to the public. "The War on Terror," "Operation Iraqi Freedom," "Operation Afghani Freedom," "No Child Left Behind," "Patriot Act," and so on. The great thing about these policies, at least for Bush, is the implied un-American labeling of anyone who opposes them. Saying "I oppose the Patriot Act" will sound a lot more un-American to the general public than "I oppose Act 1399.1-H." No blame is passed upon them for strategically naming their policies in a way that makes opponents unpatriotic or uncaring...
                To take a page out of the much loathed Fahrenheit 9/11, "who actually read it before they passed it?"
                OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  Every time a portion of the Patriot Act has come in front of the courts, that section has been deemed unconstitutional. It is being whittled to death and there is already legislation proposed to work through the deficiencies in the act which was passed based on fear and by partially uninformed people.
                  It's this actually being done though ?

Have bits of it been taken out, is the thing being destroyed ?
                  I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

And don't think that if you are hosted in the UK or elsewhere you are necessarily safe either. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10...dymedia_raids/
                    Christopher Padfield
                    Web Based Helpdesk
                    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

So the only hosting for free speech is going to be China soon I suppose.
                      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I hope thats more of that famous sarcasm
                        Christopher Padfield
                        Web Based Helpdesk
                        DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

I think it is just that even though it is called "patriot act" it is actually very far from. It is not likely going to get rid of the constitution but more or less, water it down and make it less important. Pretty soon, we shall see our rights diminish before our very eyes all because of bush's patriot act, something many brave men and women have went into war and died to prevent.

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                            I hope thats more of that famous sarcasm
                            Only just, though mostly.

Originally posted by James Kojiro
                            I think it is just that even though it is called "patriot act" it is actually very far from. It is not likely going to get rid of the constitution but more or less, water it down and make it less important. Pretty soon, we shall see our rights diminish before our very eyes all because of bush's patriot act, something many brave men and women have went into war and died to prevent.
                            Well he has more power to renforce it now.
                            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              The Constitution is just a idea. Its more guidelines than a rule.
                              I personally think this has been going on. Now they want it legal.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X