Outraged over Microsoft!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outraged over Microsoft!

After taking some time to review news issues with microsoft over the past few hours, I have slowly begun to despise Microsoft. I dont quite know what it is, but after hearing about the security flaws in SP2 (not the big issue, i can handle hackers) I became a little annoyed. However, after discovering, that many people with modified xBoxes have been banned from xBox Live when they attempted to play Halo 2 on xBox live, I became so enraged nothing can stop me.

I am saying, WHAT THE HELL IS MICROSOFT DOING?!

While I myself am not really an xBox or Halo fan, I am aware of how many millions of people where dying for the release of this game and to play it online with friends, but also the thousands of people who have modified xBoxes who will be banned from a service they are forced to pay for, for online gameplay. I believe this is absolute idocy (not sure of the words existance) from Microsoft, and who ever was in charge of that descision needs to be shot.

Who's to say, just because someone has a modified xBox .. that they are a hacker? NOBODY!

Anyone else follow me on this?

What are the legit reasons for modifing an x-box? The main one I can imagine is remove any stupid DVD region lock. Would doing that stop x box live?
    Christopher Padfield
    Web Based Helpdesk
    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

I agree with you entirely - but you have to remember most of the time, people with modified xboxes's are pirates. And MS would probably rather sacrifice 1% of legitimate users and get rid of the pirates
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Honestly what are you complaining about? If someone modified their XBox, you're already breaking an agreement with Microsoft to not reverse engineer their technology. But moreover, if for a fact Microsoft is indeed doing this, most likely someone's gonna create another mod to overcome the obstacle Microsoft's put in place to prevent from getting onto XBox Live.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Shut up.

1) Modding your XBox is illegal.
          2) For what legit purposes would someone mod their XBox?

Right. Well if you still don't get it now then you probably never will.

Oh, and what "security flaws" in SP2 are you talking about? Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Marco
            Well if you still don't get it now then you probably never will.

Oh, and what "security flaws" in SP2 are you talking about? Huh?
            http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtm...story_id=28377

There you go.

1) Modding your XBox is illegal.
            Not if you get caught.

2) For what legit purposes would someone mod their XBox?
            Turning it into a semi-standard PC. Running Linux. Installing a new dashboard. Backing up your games. Upgrading the hard drive.
            Last edited by assassingod; Sat 13 Nov '04, 6:29am. Reason: Adding some points

Comment

What are the legit reasons for modifing an x-box?
              That they own it.

Other than doing it to circumvent copyrights(which is already illegal anyway), what legitimate reason is there that would make it illegal for you to moding a piece of property you *legally own*. There isn't one I can think of.

Now that said, if the terms of Xbox Live say you need a normal Xbox, then you need a normal XBox. They can put whatever restrictions they want on it, it's not their fault if you choose to ignore it and get angry.
              TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

The primary reason I would mod my Xbox would be to copy the games to the HDD. That way I never need to use the game discs again, and if I bring the Xbox to someone else's house, I don't have to bring all the games. Other people do it so they can install media players and other stuff.

The way I see it, it's no different from changing the hardware configuration of your computer. The DMCA is the biggest mistake in computer legislation ever.
                --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

What if you found that a person that modded his xBox was able to get maximum life, maximum power and maximum everything while playing Halo (or any other game) on-line? Would that be fair to the majority of users that use stock boxes and use the legal way to build up power? The main point of doing it is to protect the integratry of the on-line service.

Comment

Originally posted by cirisme
                    That they own it.
                    Fair point, I usally tinker with most things, all part of being hacker opposed to a cracker.
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I have a modded XBox that I put all my games, movies, and a new media player on. I use it more as a media center now.

If they didn't ban modded Xboxes from Live, then it would be so easy to cheat. The only thing stopping people from going on Live with the mod activated is a ban.

Comment

If they didn't ban modded Xboxes from Live, then it would be so easy to cheat. The only thing stopping people from going on Live with the mod activated is a ban.
                        That makes a lot of sense.
                        TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Another key reason for modding your xBox, is perhaps (in my case) you want to play games from America. Any idiot knows that american xbox games cant be played on an aussie xbox, therefore, we have to either modify our xBox, or wait for the game to be released in australia, which can be months.

I also modded my xbox so I could get a bigger HDD and put my games on it because I am loosing CD's or braking them. I think I must have pirated 1 xBox game in my life, and it was a crappy game i threw out anyway.

Not everyone who mod's their xbox is a hacker, and almost every one of my friends has a modded xBox. If 50% of the modders got their xboxes modded for teh same reason I did, microsoft had no right to ban them.

How is a larger HDD and installing games actually on the xBox .... hacking?

Comment

Originally posted by CMilne
                            I believe this is absolute idocy (not sure of the words existance)
                            I think "idiocy" is the word your thinking of. Idocy does not exist, but idiocy does. Is that what you meant?

Comment

Pretty funny you're correcting his spelling when you're using improper grammar .

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X