Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by splooge
    Then what, exactly, IS your argument?
    Windows works for him and it should work for everyone else... That is the biggest problem with these threads. A group of people use Windows and can't see why anyone would use anything else. Another group uses Linux and believe it is the best thing on this Earth next to water and air.

What people don't realize is neither is better or worse than the other. Both serve distinct markets and do it well. If Windows works for you, then use it. If not find something else.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Horses for courses.
      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
        Can some one merge the 500 threads like this ...........
        It would be nice to have a linux forum here, in my opinion so people can discuss the pros and cons of linux without fearing that their thread will be closed.
        HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
        -
        Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

Originally posted by Martz
          It would be nice to have a linux forum here, in my opinion so people can discuss the pros and cons of linux without fearing that their thread will be closed.
          I don't think any threads have been shut down because of it, though you do get the dichotomy of people who understand the differences and applicable uses of each, against those that don't. Then you get the cyclic comparisons and pointless arguments/discussions.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I just wish it wasn't so damn hard to convert Windows to Linux.

Comment

What do you mean? O.o its really not that hard. Out of most of my work the only thing i really cannot cary over well is Adobe Photoshop.

Comment

Either use gimp or could use wine to run the windows version. http://www.winehq.com/
                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Either use gimp or could use wine to run the windows version. http://www.winehq.com/
                  I don't believe GIMP works too well in windows.

The only application I miss(ed) was Dreamweaver, I never enjoyed wine and whilst nvu is good it has some serious flaws imvho.
                  http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                    1. For home desktop use, nobody would. It's far too complex, supports few too devices, and has far too popular applications.
                    2. It is a completely different technology. One key aspect is that it is strictly user-based (unlike Windows which is still only based loosely around users), which happens to make it more secure when properly configured.
                    3. You can install emulators such as Wine or virtual machines such as VMware to run many Windows programs--and in some case, Windows itself--within Linux.
                    1. Not true whatsoever. Many use linux for the desktop and none other. I prefer a slackware or freebsd desktop. Both are excellent choices. You can monitor traffic and configure your services easily. You can install various excellent firewalls and have a great time with the huge assortment of great open source software to work with.
                    2. The technology is not completely different. The kernel in both windows and linux revolves around hardware technology in which it sits on. The current kernel etc.. supports most of the hardware you will purchase. Drivers are far from an issue. A google search for any driver that you need will most likely produce results.
                    3. Yes you can install vmware, Netraverse products, or wine based (crossover office) programs and run Win progs. Tried them all with somewhat success. Not perfect by any means however. An example would be programs like win4lin that would require kernel patching and a recompile for slackware. That alone might be considered challenging for a new Linux user albeit recompiling a kernel is fairly straight forward as of the latest series. I usually always run the latest kernel anyhow on workstations. Other distributions allow you to download a pre-compiled kernel for use with Win4Lin.

To say "nobody" would use a nix on the desktop is not correct. In fact "many" do. I've personally used linux on the desktop for quite some time and being an old timer when it comes to dos/windows etc.. I find Linux or FreeBSD to be quite able to handle most tasks that you would perform in Windows in a better, much more stable and secure way and with far more control over how and what a machine does. I prefer a dedicated Monowall (FreeBSD) box for a gateway with 8 tulip eth ports (2- 4 port cards) for multiple networks / firewall (default to deny), manually configured routing. Web server sits off on a DMZ and runs Linux, workstations and laptops run either Slackware or FreeBSD.

Sure it's not "all" point and click . But it "is" an alternative to MS and does a fine job at that. In many ways, far better or I wouldn't use it. Before windows was dos. I was used to knowing every dos command and doing everything from a prompt. There was no windows. Linux/FreeBSD/Unix is no more difficult than dos was in it's day. If you don't mind a prompt every once in a while, knowing a bit about what you are intending to do, you will have no issues learning. It's really not all that difficult. The installers for all distributions have came along way. If you can do fundamental hardware/software setups such as partitioning a drive, the installers will most likely format in your choice of filesystems automatically. This in itself is far easier than that of the old dos days when you had to fdisk partition and format systems disks by hand.

I agree with Dave (posted above) about Dreamweaver. I too like Dreamweaver and have tried alternatives. None match as of yet what Dreamweaver does on Windows for a Unix equiv. I also tried Nvu and found it to be less pleasant than a mild heart attack. Hopefully soon, we will have a decent wysiwyg xhtml compliant editor. Right now I use Bluefish. Gimp does allright but I still prefer Ulead Systems PhotoImpact. I've been able to get this to run on linux however. So not much of an issue there. I've been able to get Dreamweaver to run under wine. But not to great satisfaction.

Have I been virused/trojaned on Windows machines? Absolutely, and quite a few times at that over the years. Have I been cracked or rooted on Unix? Absolutely I have. I do however believe Unix to be a more acceptable environment to secure, patch, update vulnerable software and an easier environment in which to deal with security issues.

But then again, in my early tech days I sniffed and inhaled way to much solder smoke to really give any great advice. :=) Windows is Windows, Unix is Unix. I prefer the latter of the two myself.
                    Last edited by Hooper; Fri 29 Oct '04, 11:55am.

Comment

AFAIK wine wont run Photoshop.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave#
                        I don't believe GIMP works too well in windows.

The only application I miss(ed) was Dreamweaver, I never enjoyed wine and whilst nvu is good it has some serious flaws imvho.
                        I use it daily, though the point was about being on a *nix platform not running gimp on windows.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I use it daily, though the point was about being on a *nix platform not running gimp on windows.
                          eh? You lost me sorry.
                          http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                            AFAIK wine wont run Photoshop.
                            Crossover Office is Wine. It runs Photoshop 5,6, and 7.

Comment

For web servers I've always used Linux. I guess I like the command prompt from my DOS days.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin
                                For web servers I've always used Linux. I guess I like the command prompt from my DOS days.
                                command prompt, I never used Linux before, so does that mean it would be hard to use?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X