Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux

Why would anybody use Linux?

What technological advancements makes Linux superior to Windows?

Also, can you install windows programs (such as Adobe Photoshop 7.0) on Linux?
    Last edited by dndog; Thu 21 Oct '04, 6:18pm.

any 'nix system is more secure than windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Anime
      any 'nix system is more secure than windows.
      Whats a 'nix system?

Comment

Originally posted by briangumble
        Whats a 'nix system?
        LInux or Unix

Comment

Depends on the administrator.

Nix stands for anything 'nix based, unix, linux, etc...

any computer with an OS on it is only as secure as the users who use it, a bad sysadmin, if they do not setup permissions and security properly a system could be easily comprimised.

Is Linux/nix really that much more secure? No, its just not as widely used and there less people out there trying to hack into the nix based systems compared to the windows based systems.

The only secure system is an unpluged one

Comment

Originally posted by dndog
            Why would anybody use Linux?

What technological advancements makes Linux superior to Windows?

Also, can you install windows programs (such as Adobe Photoshop 7.0) on Linux?
            1. For home desktop use, nobody would. It's far too complex, supports few too devices, and has far too popular applications.
            2. It is a completely different technology. One key aspect is that it is strictly user-based (unlike Windows which is still only based loosely around users), which happens to make it more secure when properly configured.
            3. You can install emulators such as Wine or virtual machines such as VMware to run many Windows programs--and in some case, Windows itself--within Linux.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
              Depends on the administrator.

Nix stands for anything 'nix based, unix, linux, etc...

any computer with an OS on it is only as secure as the users who use it, a bad sysadmin, if they do not setup permissions and security properly a system could be easily comprimised.

Is Linux/nix really that much more secure? No, its just not as widely used and there less people out there trying to hack into the nix based systems compared to the windows based systems.

The only secure system is an unpluged one

well one advantage of a 'nix system is it is harder if not impossible to infect with viruses.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Anime
                well one advantage of a 'nix system is it is harder if not impossible to infect with viruses.
                Only because windows is used much more there are less virus'es written for nix but they exsist.

As i said, its not secure unless its unplugged but you can try really hard

Originally posted by Fliburt
                1. For home desktop use, nobody would. It's far too complex, supports few too devices, and has far too popular applications.
                2. It is a completely different technology. One key aspect is that it is strictly user-based (unlike Windows which is still only based loosely around users), which happens to make it more secure when properly configured.
                3. You can install emulators such as Wine or virtual machines such as VMware to run many Windows programs--and in some case, Windows itself--within Linux.
                I know a few people who use linux for their home systems exclusivly outside of games.
                Windows NT is more userbased than the 9X systems

Comment

Only because windows is used much more there are less virus'es written for nix but they exsist.

As i said, its not secure unless its unplugged but you can try really hard

I know a few people who use linux for their home systems exclusivly outside of games.
                  Windows NT is more userbased than the 9X systems
                  When I say home user, I mean the average home user (web browsing and other Internet activity, light graphics, document editing, etc.), not a developer or other very advanced user.

NT/2000/XP is far more user-based for sure, but certain things like the filesystem do not make users the clear feature (yes I know NTFS has per-user permissions).
                  --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                  Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                  vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Yes they are, much more secure. All the machines worth getting into are usually running *nix. Consumer level viruses don't constitute a whole picture of cracker activity across the board.

I've worked on government and military projects both sides of the Atlantic and windows doesn't even get a look in for core systems.
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
                      Yes they are, much more secure. All the machines worth getting into are usually running *nix. Consumer level viruses don't constitute a whole picture of cracker activity across the board.

I've worked on government and military projects both sides of the Atlantic and windows doesn't even get a look in for core systems.
                      That's why one gets a Mac
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Coding on a mac is cool, especially since sco unix is more implemented and usable in the last x releases.

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                          That's why one gets a Mac
                          Which is bits of FreeBSD

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

Well enough to get around with.

The last project I did for the UK gov before moving to jelsoft, I was working with a very cool pen tester, knew his stuff etc.

And he used a mac laptop when he was on the go.
                          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

http://www.theregister.co.uk/securit...dows_vs_linux/
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I run linux on all my home pcs
                              Hungry ?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X