X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by Jake Bunce
    IMO, the increased traffic isn't worth the decline in content quality that political flame wars bring to forums. If you can keep the debates clean through moderation, fine. Otherwise, put an end to it.
    I second this.

This is why I have the 'back room' setup on my site for the serious discussions for the regulars - away from the public to avoid newcomers to jump in and cause havoc because they are very driven to convert everybody of their point. Which usually isn't the case with the regular members.

Leave a comment:

• Martz
    replied
    Politics and World issues are messey, cloudy, and hard to find to come to a conclusion about. We have a Social and Political forum, which while at first was hard work to maintain, over time people realised that this forum was different from the others, and that they cannot flame or even use language which isn't of a "Gentlemens" standard.. i.e. no name calling or blows below the belt. Discuss the issues at hand in the first post, do not discuss for pages and pages little issues someone is wrong about.

The main problem with politics is that there are so many people who sincerly believe they are right, they know the truth, and they can represent a party like a Football team feeling that it doesn't matter who wins or loses, as long as they support somebody and have fun along the way.

Religious nutters, political zealots and the rest are OK if they are open to listening to other points of view. If they aren't prepared to do that, there isn't much value they can add to a debate on a forum since their point of view will never change.

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    You could add a team of quite a few moderators and turn on moderation of new posts/threads in that forum. Just an idea

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    IMO, the increased traffic isn't worth the decline in content quality that political flame wars bring to forums. If you can keep the debates clean through moderation, fine. Otherwise, put an end to it.

Leave a comment:

• maggie
    replied
    What are they doing that is rowdy?

Leave a comment:

• daemon
    replied
    You could try the warning system. Another option would be to make the forum either have denied access masks for problematic users or another usergroup to place bad users in that didn't have access to the forum. Posting is a privilege, not a right.

Leave a comment:

• Beorn
    started a topic Political/Off topic discussions

Political/Off topic discussions

Hey all,
    Since shortly after the inception of The Tolkien Forum, we've had a continuously running political area for discussing politics. While at first we didn't have trouble with it (it was mostly teens), now that we've had some adults find their way in, it's been pretty messy. The Forsaken Inn, as we've titled it, has become a significant part of our forum, yet many are calling for it to be removed due to the problems.

I know in the past I've not delivered on my previous warning system for vB3, and I'm thinking now's the time to reimplement it. The warning system in the past kept people in line.

What do you feel should be done about our political (hence off topic) forum which is becoming rowdy?

- Mike
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X