Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow! What portal/cms did these folks use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! What portal/cms did these folks use?

I REALLY like this photo gallery integration with vBulletin:

http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121

Any idea how they did it?

Thanks.

Template modification using conditionals.

I don't know exactly how they pull the preview image, but the way I would do it is pull the thumbnail made for the attachment in the first post in the thread, and display it on forumdisplay.

You could take it alot further then that acully, you just have to get creative with conditionals.

Comment

Actually in discussions with them, they do get a lot more creative. If you are a beta tester of their different software packages you get different previews. The previews are done with a custom add-on that they used in vBulletin 2.X as well.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo
        Template modification using conditionals.
        So they did all of that without a CMS?!

Originally posted by Brad.loo
        I don't know exactly how they pull the preview image, but the way I would do it is pull the thumbnail made for the attachment in the first post in the thread, and display it on forumdisplay.

You could take it alot further then that acully, you just have to get creative with conditionals.
        Isn't the link I posted the forumdisplay which does have the the thumbnails on it like you suggested?
        Last edited by rnmcd; Tue 12 Oct '04, 6:48pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Actually in discussions with them, they do get a lot more creative. If you are a beta tester of their different software packages you get different previews. The previews are done with a custom add-on that they used in vBulletin 2.X as well.
          Are you talking about discussions with CGTalk? I couldn't find that they had software packages for sale--only books.

Comment

Originally posted by rnmcd
            So they did all of that without a CMS?!

Isn't the link I posted the forumdisplay which does have the the thumbnails on it like you suggested?
            The layout itself is done by checking the forumid in an conditional and putting the proper code between it.

You would have to hack your board abit to get the thumbnail on forumdisplay, and to allow some custom functions to be used in the templates.

I am not saying this is how they did it, but it is how I would do it

It was (is) possible to do in vB2 of course, but it is much easier to do with vB3.

Comment

Originally posted by rnmcd
              Are you talking about discussions with CGTalk? I couldn't find that they had software packages for sale--only books.
              Yeah... the company that runs that site also makes 3d Modeling software.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

What a good idea... Mmmm... I should try something like this for my own gallery forums...

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  Yeah... the company that runs that site also makes 3d Modeling software.
                  Perhaps they should model the gfx (buttons, ...) for the next release of vBulletin?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                    Perhaps they should model the gfx (buttons, ...) for the next release of vBulletin?
                    oooh... low blow

Take that back! lmao

But that is a good idea, could work wonders if it was released as a hack or an official addition to vB3.x

MGM out

Comment

Pretty cool... hmm. Might have a go at creating something like this soon.
                      Chamber of Secrets - The Ultimate Harry Potter Community!

Comment

Whoever does create this be sure to contact me if you want to sell me the mod. That thumbnail and forum combination just blows me away.

Actually I think they did a great job with the entire site...how it is administered/moderated and designed are perferct for what that site is doing--showcasing graphic talent.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                          Good thought
                          Well you are damned right.. The next generation buttons should be generated by a pro.. Sorry, went a bit offtopic
                          That's the end of that!

Comment

I posted this same question over at vb.org not all that long ago. Personally I think the next version of vb should come with this ability. I'm not a big fan of the way most galleries are laid out (coppermine, photopost, ect). I think something like this is much more effective.

Essentially it could work very easily. The first image attached to the post would be thumbnailed and added to the forum display. Viewing the post would show the full size image and any additional images that were attached. Unless of course you have it set to show as thumbnails/text links in the post as well.
                            www.ScapeFilms.com

Comment

Originally posted by roxics
                              I posted this same question over at vb.org not all that long ago. Personally I think the next version of vb should come with this ability. I'm not a big fan of the way most galleries are laid out (coppermine, photopost, ect). I think something like this is much more effective.

Essentially it could work very easily. The first image attached to the post would be thumbnailed and added to the forum display. Viewing the post would show the full size image and any additional images that were attached. Unless of course you have it set to show as thumbnails/text links in the post as well.
                              Roxics, that is a great way to do it. I was thinking of something a little different--all of the thumbnails would be viewable on a separate page and when a user clicked on the thumbnail it would take you to the respective thread (which would have the thumbnail in the forumdisplay as well).

I see you didn't get much assistance on vbulletin.org--I bet it is a complicated modification.
                              Last edited by rnmcd; Fri 15 Oct '04, 5:57am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X