Calculus problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculus problem

The region is bounded by and , and rotated about the line .
    The volume of the resulting solid is?

Thanks for your help.

You need to integrate the area of the cross section in terms of the two functions. The integral of area is volume.

A picture helps. Find out what is the shape of the cross section of the 3D object. Is it a disc? A washer?

Then use the formula for the area of the cross section. Substitute into the area formula so it is in terms of the bounding functions. Then integrate the formula across the appropriate interval.

Comment

How do people even figure out these math equations sometimes -_-""

One look at it, and my mind goes into a tail-spin.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Its not too hard if you can visualize, if were still taking math classes I'm sure i could get my stuff out and complete it but alas ive not done any real math in 2 years now. :/

Comment

I just finished a year of calculus, so this stuff is pretty fresh for me. Try asking me again in a few years.

Comment

If I look at any math beyond algebra, my mind feels like mash potatoes. Argh!!! I don't understand how people can comprehend all this stuff.
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Calculus pick up line:

I'd like to take your derivative so I can be tangent to your curves.

edit: it doesn't work very well

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                Calculus pick up line:

I'd like to take your derivative so I can be tangent to your curves.

edit: it doesn't work very well
                We know who the ladies man on the vB.com team is
                Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
                  We know who the ladies man on the vB.com team is
                  lmao! thats the funniest thing Jake has said so far

MGM out

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X