Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tolitz
    replied
    As a tech support site, we rely heavily on old posts related to hardware, software, gaming, etc. as it serves as as a reference on how the problem was dealt with before (not to mention it is what keeps us in the top bracket of google searches).

I never allow users to delete their own posts, as it encourages accountability. Of course, they can always try and edit/blank-out their posts, but it rarely happens.

I have had to "soft-delete" some posts in various situations, but only to serve as a warning to the user for making inappropriate comments.

As for members, I prune them every month.
    three months of inactivity + no posts = pruned

Leave a comment:

• MGM
    replied
    Originally posted by maggie
    LOL With our group, it usually amounts to someone sticking their foot in their mouth, either saying something they didn't mean to someone, or telling things about themselves that they regretted later... I've never had anyone ask to have a "help" thread deleted...
    I HAVE had members ask to be deleted (on a different board, never on the one I have now), but that was refused, too... show up or don't, but I'm not making that decision for you... (most of them wandered back eventually)
    Yes, it's stupid, why is it that members ask to have their username deleted? I mean, what's the point? I hate it when members ask me that

MGM out

Leave a comment:

• maggie
    replied
    LOL With our group, it usually amounts to someone sticking their foot in their mouth, either saying something they didn't mean to someone, or telling things about themselves that they regretted later... I've never had anyone ask to have a "help" thread deleted...
    I HAVE had members ask to be deleted (on a different board, never on the one I have now), but that was refused, too... show up or don't, but I'm not making that decision for you... (most of them wandered back eventually)

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    I was meaning more towards why do users request their own posts to be deleted.

Leave a comment:

• maggie
    replied
    I never, ever delete threads, or members... the only times people have asked me to, they were SOL...
    I have the edit set to one day, after that your words are captured for posterity (less than that, if someone is quick with the "quote" feature)

Leave a comment:

• dcarr
    replied
    Thread asking for and giving help should not be deleted. It's the best way I've found to fix my own problems. Sure it takes some searching..but when the answer is found...it's great. Deleting after you've found an answer prevents the rest of us from finding it. My biggest annoyance is finding a thread with the problem I'm having, only to see " Nevermind..I found the answer"!!!!! What was it!! LOL...Drives me crazy.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by Kayn
    I like the "soft delete" feature. You can see it, but they can't. If you ever need to refer it it, it's there.

Good stuff.
    Yes, I only allow admins to do phys. deletes and only staff and members to do soft deletes. This helps a lot! I am very happy to see this feature in 3.x

Leave a comment:

• Kayn
    replied
    I like the "soft delete" feature. You can see it, but they can't. If you ever need to refer it it, it's there.

Good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery
    I've seen this more and more here, as well as on some other sites, that after a users problem is fixed they want their thread deleted, but why?

I would guess they might not want to look abit silly but thats no reason to delete a good resource if others have the same problems and get the same anwser with out having to ask.

So what do you think?
    I think this is why I have a private category called 'archive'

Leave a comment:

• dynamite
    replied
    I never delete threads or remove user account. If they sign up and post then they are there forever. If someone post disruptively, then I will soft delete it, but it will always be there. If they want there profile removed, then I put them in a disabled accounts list which prevents them from accessing the site. Their post are still visible.

Leave a comment:

• Peekay
    replied
    I agree that threads should be kept. I always search the forums before asking a question. If someone else has asked the same dumb question before me I feel a lot better - and I often find the answer I'm looking for without bothering the admin with a new thread. I think it's really important to keep this information intact.

On this very point - I confess that I have been reviewing both vBulletin and IPB to gain a comparison. I have found that IPB prune their pre-sales forum so ruthlessly I can't find any of the questions that I asked recently. Not a point in their favour.

Leave a comment:

• MGM
    replied
    I've never deleted a thread, ever. I've deleted individual posts, but never entire threads. If a thread is causing a problem, it is moved to our forum archive, that's that.

I really don't see a reason to delete a thread... plus I like to know that I have a backup resource of all threads in case I need info

MGM out

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    The thread takes miminual space, if keeping threads was an issue we would prune them

Leave a comment:

• Mac Write
    replied
    Interesting point. I delete my own post sometimes when I figured out the answer like 3 minutes later. I agree it's a good idea to keep the thread around as an information resource.

Leave a comment:

• kur1j
    replied
    i think a lot of it is they think that the thread is taking up a lot of space and that it isnt needed. Usually when I post something and get the answer or if i am selling something and I am done selling stuff i ask for the thread to be locked or deleted.

Leave a comment: