St.Helens about to blow again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St.Helens about to blow again?

Mount St Helens volcano in Washington state is likely to erupt again very soon, scientists have warned.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3712196.stm

Let's just hope it's not as bas as the last one
    Last edited by Dean C; Sun 3 Oct '04, 1:10pm.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Just FYI, that link goes to post a new thread.....

Comment

Very scary news, I am happy I don't live there. I'd totally go away to a safer location until they think it is more secure.

Comment

Huh, I definately posted a link to the news article - edited it back in nevertheless

Comment

The general story in US TV news is that it is likely to erupt soon but nothing anywhere near as big as the initial eruption. CNN said it could spew ash and steam "10,000 yards" but failed to mention if that was vertical or horizontal.

They are evacuating the immediate area, though.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I live here in Washington, they say today or tomorrow. Not as bad as in 1980. I was going to drive down there with a friend to check it out, but couldn't make it. (They closed the visitor center down anyways)
            Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

How about that wife of mine, scheduling a minor volcano eruption for my birthday on the 1st?

Been keeping track of this since I'm in Portland, collecting CNN homepage screenshots etc. Volcano cam Here if you're interested. Don't expect to get onto that site once the bugger actually erupts though.
              "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
              It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

Oh great link welo !

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                  They are evacuating the immediate area, though.
                  What is there to evacuate? The entire surrounding land (that was affected during the previous eruption) is now a national forest that doesn't allow inhabitation by people. The nearest building is something like 3 miles away and it is a Volcano Observatory.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Aside from ash and noxious gasses particularly prone to collect in low-lying spots, the entire surrounding area is forrested and brushed, and there hasn't been much rain this summer. The danger isn't so much that everyone will be overrun with molten lava. It's more a matter of people managing to breathe while dodging residual fires. Then there's the potential shockwave to consider should the mountain blow for real. During the 80s eruption it pretty much flattened everything for miles around.
                    "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
                    It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      What is there to evacuate? The entire surrounding land (that was affected during the previous eruption) is now a national forest that doesn't allow inhabitation by people. The nearest building is something like 3 miles away and it is a Volcano Observatory.
                      I'm just the messenger...of the messenger.
                      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by welo
                        How about that wife of mine, scheduling a minor volcano eruption for my birthday on the 1st?

Been keeping track of this since I'm in Portland, collecting CNN homepage screenshots etc. Volcano cam Here if you're interested. Don't expect to get onto that site once the bugger actually erupts though.
                        damn, cam image is black
                        Visit NoizPollution.com // Your Music Source

Do not PM or email me for support, you will not receive a response. Please post all requests for support in the main vBulletin forums or via the support system in the main members section of the site.

Comment

They ordered a 11 mile evacuation radius evacuation...I think
                          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Working...
                          X