Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you ban some web-based email accounts from registering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you ban some web-based email accounts from registering?

do you ban some web-based email accounts from registering on your board?

I see that some sites prevent hotmail, yahoo... accounts from registering.

Is there really that much abuse?

Thanks.

I have hotmail.com banned. And am considering to put yahoo on the list too.

Comment

Personally, I don't but many others do... It can lead to abuse depending on the subject matter of your forums. Some topics lead to abuse more than others.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

How do the folks that ban certain web-based emails choose which ones to ban? A person can choose from scores of free web-based email services...why is hotmail more likely to be banned than gmail or some other free web-based email service?

thanks.

Comment

Nope, haven't had (much) of a problem with reregistrations. Mostly because we hardly ever ban, and when we do we have a way to make it so it doesn't seem like you're banned.
          TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

is your "method" a trade-secret?

Comment

Originally posted by rnmcd

do you ban some web-based email accounts from registering on your board?

I see that some sites prevent hotmail, yahoo... accounts from registering.

Is there really that much abuse?

Thanks.

Personally, I ban all free email services. It's just way too easy to get a hundred throw-away accounts and start being a pain to others.

This way, I do my best to ensure that I get a real email address, not just a throw-away account. Or, at the very least, I want them to work for it.

It makes it less profitable to spam me, harder to ban-evade me, and easier for me to track them down if the need arises.
              echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

Originally posted by Ocean
                Personally, I ban all free email services. It's just way too easy to get a hundred throw-away accounts and start being a pain to others.

This way, I do my best to ensure that I get a real email address, not just a throw-away account. Or, at the very least, I want them to work for it.

It makes it less profitable to spam me, harder to ban-evade me, and easier for me to track them down if the need arises.
                I might consider doing this too... but my forum is far too small for me to put this into effect now... so maybe I'll wait when I'm much bigger

But as you can tell, I don't ban free email addresses.... in fact, I don't even make the member have to check his/her email to get registered

MGM out

Comment

I don't even verify emails. If I ever have a problem with registration spam then I enable moderation of new accounts temporarily.

Comment

is your "method" a trade-secret?
                    It's an adaptation of the vb2 miserable users hack.

Quite effective
                    TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

How do the folks that ban certain web-based emails choose which ones to ban? A person can choose from scores of free web-based email services...why is hotmail more likely to be banned than gmail or some other free web-based email service?

thanks.
                      Due to abuse from users signing up and jumping from one hotmail to the other - we decided to ban the domain.
                      We see this happen less with gmail and yahoo.
                      But yahoo is increasing, so we are discussing it too.

I won't just ban something, someone or a range of users based on stories by others.

Comment

But it's pointless to ban just hotmail.com when there are literally thousands of free email services out there (refer to my sig).

Comment

There was abuse, majority used hotmail. We ban hotmail, abuse goes down to 1%. Problem fixed. If they use the other 999 free emails to continue their abuse, we add those too. Adding thousends to prevent abuse also means you block thousend+ potential signups from users who don't have abuse on their mind.

Comment

There was abuse, majority used hotmail. We ban hotmail, abuse goes down to 1%. Problem fixed. If they use the other 999 free emails to continue their abuse, we add those too. Adding thousends to prevent abuse also means you block thousend+ potential signups from users who don't have abuse on their mind.
                            Thats why we dont ban any email domain, most of our users are young anyway and just use hotmail instead of the "boring" one from their ISP

Comment

I don't ban free e-mail accounts from registration but if I see that you are a flamer on usenet or something I will ban.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X