Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floris
    replied
    That first post and the idea looks very familiar. I will be looking into this.

Leave a comment:

• 1QuickSI
    replied
    I love it when old concepts become rality with newer technology. This is exactly what FIDONet used to do back in the BBS days.

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    Originally posted by Lurk
    I'm interested in this, I've been wanting to do this for a while already.
    It sounds like the website is down, though.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    Nice idea it has to be said, but I agree with most in that I would never give this kind of access to my database from another outside site.

And I think that will always be a stumbling block unless another method can be used as mentioned already

Leave a comment:

• Lurk
    replied
    I'm interested in this, I've been wanting to do this for a while already.

Leave a comment:

• 1QuickSI
    replied
    And their website is MIA

"You are seeing this page because the current domain is not configured in the current set of name servers / or the DNS account has expired. If this is an error you should contact your System Administrator immediately."

Leave a comment:

• 1QuickSI
    replied
    Great idea, needs a better implementation method. Like others there is no way I would ever give access at that level. Heck I do not even let any of the other admins have that level of access and they have been around with me for many years.

I would much rather see somce sort of file importing method and then a CRON job to import the information. Maybe even a "test" database to be imported to and then through moderation allow the information to be merged with the live system.

Dunno, really would have to think about this and put it on paper to figure out what would make the most amoutn of sense vs giving people peace of mind that there system is secure.

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    Yes, but an idea from 3 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Zia
    replied
    intersting...curious...im neither a coder nor a xpert..
    but i have a testsite...and still i got 2 sql empty with enugh hdd space...

if i came for any help..i will be glad to do that..

its a nice idea i think....

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    I agree with what's been said so far. Not many people, especially those in the know, would give foreign access to their databases no matter what permissions it had

Leave a comment:

• Erwin
    replied
    Using a separate script with local permission to import and export posts or using an XML-type method would be preferable to direct database access from foreign servers.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Rhoden
    replied
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments, have also been getting a few PM from some of you and some others asking info and questions. Hold on guys, i'll answer all the emails shortly, thanks.

Ok, with that out of the way, I have a question to ask you guys. Yes there are Mysql permissions for functions even down to the column level, firewalls, authentication methods and the like, in the end it comes down to for two systems to exchange messages or import new content for that matter, at some point there has to be granted accesss to certain parts of that forums database.

My question is several times its been mentioned that using a local "agent" lets say a PHP script to handle all the message importing and exporting to lets say some form of message packets, which in turn would have to be transfered to our system, converted and sent on to the system you are exchanging messages with, then the same processs on the way back dropping a packet back at your system assume for now via a secure FTP connection. Still the PHP script that is running in importing and exporting all these messages requiring all the same permissions and security procedures with one exception that it would be a "localhost" only account and no need to expose the mysql port even behind a firewall with filtering on to only allow connections from our server. Is this the real difference, having any port no matter how many layers of security is available "exposed" to remote access is unacceptable? But a program with virtually the same powers running on your machine (taking whatever resources needed) would be a better option as it is localhost only and being a PHP script you can "keep and eye on it better" and of course are more familar with running PHP scripts, (the hundreds of mods and addon php scripts people use on their sites already)?

Thanks for the options and discussion, we always encourage it and if there is a better way to do things we always want to hear about it. Right now from all the feedback we are getting it seems to be almost split right down the middle, remote as we are doing it now vs a local PHP styled agent.

Enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    They will need UPDATE though to forum, and UPDATE is as good as DELETE IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Scott MacVicar
    replied
    Well you can specify permissions on certain tables in MySQL.

so you could only give SELECT / INSERT on the post table and so forth.

Obviously they wouldn't need write access to user / usergorup / template / forum.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    There are many many ways of doing conversion and imports with out giving up the whole database or complete access.

I'd still like to know how it works.

With a closed system you never know what is going on or what is being done with the data.

Leave a comment: