No announcement yet.

Best Examples of Tableless Web Designs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Examples of Tableless Web Designs?

It appears that Tableless Webdesigns are the biggest thing since the wheel at the moment, so I was wondering if we could get a list of sites with excellent examples and designs using the tableless method.

I'd be interested in seeing what they did and how they did it.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Maybe I'll sound uninformed when I post this, but what is with tableless designs anyhow? Someone the spacing always looks a bit odd to me. Is it just a trend, or is there some reason why these sites are all going tableless.

I created a tableless design for my blog jsut for fun, but I think that spacing looks odd, but this appears to be something that is with all the tableless designs that I've seen.
    | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
    |
    Disc On Demand | Short-run CD & DVD duplication... all online.

Comment

Tables are "old and bad" is basicly what the current move is, they are made for tabluar data, and not design, CSS and XHTML can take designing a website to a whole new level

However, using tables is not bad as long as they are not nested, at least thats my reasoning, there are still some limits on CSS based designs due to the fact CSS is still a growing technology? (standard? whatever).

Comment

Well not all tableless designs look the same

You are right, there's a clear trend to those kind of websites but that has nothing to do with tableless. Using layers to build a website is so much more flexible.

check out www.csszengarden.com .
        You'll be surprised how different a website could look like with just another stylesheet.
        That's the end of that!

Comment

That's interesting.

Currently I prefer tables. I don't know why they would be considered for only tabular data unless you are using the Lotus 1-2-3 mentality. I actually prefer websites that have tables as opposed to those ones listed.

Is this just a trend?
          | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
          |

Comment

Yes and no, table tags are rather old, so its a good trend, you should be able to do basic tableless designs (nothing fancy). As i said above, as long as you dont make a habbit of making your whole site one huge table of tables you'll be good

Comment

Well I've tinkered around with that in my blog.

None of my websites are a plethora of tables or are redundant, so I don't have to worry.

Maybe if more websites go tableless and it's better supported by browsers I'll consider it for my two sites. But right now I think that I am perfectly fine.
              |

Comment

Thats my point as well, why go out o0f your way to design a really cool site that 5% of the population can view correctly (yes thats an exagertion ) In 3 years i think we will see less and less of tabled design and more CSS as CSS3 support in browsers roll aroun with Longhorn and the next generation of other OS'ses

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                  Thats my point as well, why go out o0f your way to design a really cool site that 5% of the population can view correctly (yes thats an exagertion ) In 3 years i think we will see less and less of tabled design and more CSS as CSS3 support in browsers roll aroun with Longhorn and the next generation of other OS'ses
                  Why bother doing CSS if you already know the HTML way? I mean, who cares if we use 100 tables nested within one another as long as it works for the design, am I right? The user isn't gonna look through the source and say they hate the site because it doesn't use CSS and the source is all confusing. As long as the webmaster can read it, then that's all thats needed

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by MetalGearMaster
                    Why bother doing CSS if you already know the HTML way? I mean, who cares if we use 100 tables nested within one another as long as it works for the design, am I right? The user isn't gonna look through the source and say they hate the site because it doesn't use CSS and the source is all confusing. As long as the webmaster can read it, then that's all thats needed
                    What happens when a new device becomes the prominent access to the Internet? Out of the Billion Cell Phones in use, how many of them can use your website with its table-generated design? If you wanted to cater to these people how much work would be involved?

With a CSS layout, you can alter the design based on the device or even the width of the user's web browser. For instance, on a site I am building currently, the available space increases according to the width of the browser. Which can be done with tables and using percentages but I also have a minimum width of 770 px and a maximum width of 1000 px for the entire layout. You can't do that easily in tables.

Or what if it is viewed on a small screen like a PDA or Cell Phone. With CSS, you can eliminate images, move navigation, change the layout from a 3 column to 2 column or even a 1 column design based on the device. With CSS, you can adjust the voice and timber of the sound given to the user on their screen readers. With CSS you can reformat your page for the printer without providing an alternate page of HTML for printing. This is where the power of the layout comes in.

If you only want to work on websites that work on a computer monitor at specific resolutions then use tables. If you want to design web applications that can work on any device (current or future) than use CSS to create your layouts.

However, I do agree there are limits. I don't follow a strict table-less design methodology because the web browsers of today are in an in-between state and don't quite get CSS completely.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalGearMaster

MGM out
                      The file size of the page can be significantly reduced when using CSS, also bandwidth will be saved when browsers cache the stylesheet.

Comment

Here's my first all CSS design.

http://collectiveunderground.com (needs some tweaking in Firefox and Opera)

I really like the CSS tableless route, but tables do have advantages, like... tabular data, or when you just need to throw something together real quick. Y'know?
                        Pluh.com (random nonsense) - Psychostick.com (my stupid band) - Collectiveunderground.com (AZ local music site) - Evacuatechicago.com

Comment

The only tables I use are in Excel

atm Iam redesigning my personal website (www.mrnase.de) and it will be (as usual) without tables
                          That's the end of that!

Comment

You'll find loads of great designs over @ www.cssvault.com
                            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X