Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't bother using IBForums (I hate using 'Invision Board' or 'Invision Power Services') 2.0.0 final. It is full of bugs that will probably now be fixed and a 2.0.0a or something issued to customers. I am not trying to make things up here, I have seen many customers complain about the unfinished status of 2.0.0 (Try opening the registration form in Internet Explorer 6 and see if you can see a 'Submit' button. I can't.)

As for my experience with the 'new' IPS...I decided to post a simple 'What about piracy measures' topic in General Chat. Before I could blink it was gone, and Lindy had sent me a new message stating they will not tolerate IPS posts in General Chat and to post in the correct forums. Thats nice, but you could have just moved the topic to the best forum for me! Very 'in your face' if you like.

The community has gone. Bye bye 3 years worth of posts from 50,000 members. Everybody has been asking 'Can't we have the posts back' and the simple answer is 'No, but we MIGHT restore some of the customer forum posts". Great, what about the community posts that made up a good proportion of the total forums size?!

I decided to discuss a few things in Live Chat (Oh yea, they decided to change the Live Chat module without telling anybody. Everybody was angry with that!). Within about 2 minutes I have been disconnected, not by my wireless connection but by Lindy.

Fine, I decide to go back to the forums. I find I no longer have permission to view the board. Eh?! What the hell have I done to get banned just like that! Post a topic in the wrong forum?

I now absolutely detest Invision Power Services, and their new website just seems like a 10 minute job that hasn't been tested or finished up before they decided to stick it online (I posted my thoughts about that the other week and a nice padlock appeared on my post for no reason at all).

Now they will start to lose staff, and we have another Ikonboard situation. Thank god I still have a lifetime license here, looks like its time to renew my member area access.

Invision have basically said "Goodbye community" and are now just trying to earn as much money as they can. I wouldn't be surprised if the General Chat forum disappears soon either...

Comment

This is great news. The whole IPS site looks great, the software is better that it has ever been, and their whole business infrastructure looks a lot more organised and efficient. Hopefully this'll encourage the competition to step up a gear
      Last edited by Dean C; Tue 28 Sep '04, 4:14am.
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by John Round
        Don't bother using IBForums (I hate using 'Invision Board' or 'Invision Power Services') 2.0.0 final. It is full of bugs that will probably now be fixed and a 2.0.0a or something issued to customers. I am not trying to make things up here, I have seen many customers complain about the unfinished status of 2.0.0 (Try opening the registration form in Internet Explorer 6 and see if you can see a 'Submit' button. I can't.)

As for my experience with the 'new' IPS...I decided to post a simple 'What about piracy measures' topic in General Chat. Before I could blink it was gone, and Lindy had sent me a new message stating they will not tolerate IPS posts in General Chat and to post in the correct forums. Thats nice, but you could have just moved the topic to the best forum for me! Very 'in your face' if you like.

The community has gone. Bye bye 3 years worth of posts from 50,000 members. Everybody has been asking 'Can't we have the posts back' and the simple answer is 'No, but we MIGHT restore some of the customer forum posts". Great, what about the community posts that made up a good proportion of the total forums size?!

I decided to discuss a few things in Live Chat (Oh yea, they decided to change the Live Chat module without telling anybody. Everybody was angry with that!). Within about 2 minutes I have been disconnected, not by my wireless connection but by Lindy.

Fine, I decide to go back to the forums. I find I no longer have permission to view the board. Eh?! What the hell have I done to get banned just like that! Post a topic in the wrong forum?

I now absolutely detest Invision Power Services, and their new website just seems like a 10 minute job that hasn't been tested or finished up before they decided to stick it online (I posted my thoughts about that the other week and a nice padlock appeared on my post for no reason at all).

Now they will start to lose staff, and we have another Ikonboard situation. Thank god I still have a lifetime license here, looks like its time to renew my member area access.

Invision have basically said "Goodbye community" and are now just trying to earn as much money as they can. I wouldn't be surprised if the General Chat forum disappears soon either...
        Aren't you glad you have the choice to pick a community software to power your site?

Comment

*sarcasm detector broken*

I'd try not to get involved in the discussion but whats going to happen the first time a security hole happens thats serious. Like a SQL injection and all those non customers get their boards hacked?

Though whats going to happen to those websites out there who choose to hack the trial version to add stuff or even support it, is that allowed?

These are my questions, not Jelsofts.
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I'm off to download phpbb and possibly wbb now to have a look at the new versions to see what to go with on my site as I want rid of IPB tonight.
            Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

ya they dont even have a simple little WYSIWYG editor! its crazy!
              http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.

Comment

lol @ squall14716, they took up your offer and deleted your post! That was great, truly was.

Comment

3 posts made, all 3 are gone, and none bashed IPS or anything (except maybe the last post, which I screencapped and am attaching). It's amusing that a factual post is deleted in 2 minutes over there, yet a post made here with a title of "vBulletin SUCKS" is not only not deleted, but is left open and the staff members made good posts in it as well.

IPB 2.0.0 is pretty buggy right now anyways. For comparison purposes, I'd say vB3 Beta 6 was less buggy.

Originally posted by Chroder
                  lol @ squall14716, they took up your offer and deleted your post! That was great, truly was.
                  Yeah, I wasn't exactly suprised at that. Got a few screencaps though.

Posted
                  Whoops, where did my post go?

Comment

This discussion is about their forum software, not their company policy.

Honestly, I don't see why we discuss competition software policy changes on this web site anyway. But that is just how I personally look at it.

Comment

We want to make it crystal clear to Jelsoft what not to do

Comment

Originally posted by pixeo
                        By the way... they copied vB's "Display modes" (thread modes) on version 2.0
                        They copied just about every new idea from vB3.

EDIT: Even the documentation.
                        Chamber of Secrets - The Ultimate Harry Potter Community!

Comment

Originally posted by M1th
                          They copied just about every new idea from vB3.

HAHAHA ya i know i thought that from the moment i saw that gay documentation!

Comment

No need to call it gay, I think it looks nice actually.

Comment

Originally posted by M1th
                              Wow, that is just pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Chroder
                                No need to call it gay, I think it looks nice actually.
                                well ya it LOOKS nice :P

lol i just have a thing against IPS now :P

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X