A9, the new google?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A9, the new google?

After reading about A9 on the amazon website a while ago, i noticed a few articles about it on news.google.com.

A9 is Amazon's search engine. At the moment, it uses Google for web searching and also searches books.

The interface rocks - it has some pretty awsome drag and drop features and some very interesting new things.

It can store a diary and bookmarks that are persistant across computers. Sure, storing this information on someone elses server isnt the greatest idea for some, but i think its great!

The diary is actually pretty good. If you're browsing a website and you'd like to take notes about it - open it up (by using the toolbar) and start typing away. When you're ready to revisit the notes, go to a9.com and click the diary button, it will list the sites that you had diary entries about.

(http://www.a9.com/-/company/whatsCool.jsp) It is worth the read!
    merk
    Last edited by merk; Mon 20 Sep '04, 6:21pm.

The features look interesting.... although since it's being powered by Google, I doubt Google would consider A9 a threat yet

MGM out

Comment

I still prefer the simplicity of Google.

Comment

I read on slashdot.org about this, the amazon search engine with google replies, right?

Comment

It will only take time before amazon start using their own search engine.

It is a search engine that uses google for its main web hits which is enhanced by googles Book searching feature and some other places dictionary.

Googles simplicity is replicated if you just use A9 as a search engine without any other windows - but im after more than just a simple search engine, im after remembering my previous searches, my comments on pages that were important, storing my bookmarks so i can visit them from any computer.

Anyway, its all personal choice. Im gunna give it a go and see if I like it enough to get rid of my google toolbar

Comment

I don't like toolbars, I just like google

Comment

Gigablast has every potential to be the new Google (assuming they continue development and don't sell out to MS or someone). A very aggressive and hyper-fast SE.
              "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
              It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

I get this when searching for images:

"Search results enhanced by Google."

Sorry, Google will always be best. ^_^

Comment

I don't think they are the best, I get enough 'crap' results from them when searching. But I do enjoy them the most for quick and effective searches on a daily basis. The page always loads fast, their adwords banners aren't annoying and their services and support are quite ok so far. And they are still growing and improving, by the looks of it.

Comment

Originally posted by perfectphp
                    I get this when searching for images:

"Search results enhanced by Google."

Sorry, Google will always be best. ^_^
                    Searching for anything on the web at A9 will result in that phrase. A9's web search is powered by google. But not for long.

Yahoo used google too.

And just to clarify: I didnt mean A9 would be better than google in every way, but the new features they are offering are pretty awsome. Page loads are not as fast as google, but that doesnt bother me as much.

Comment

Originally posted by merk
                      Searching for anything on the web at A9 will result in that phrase. A9's web search is powered by google. But not for long.

Yahoo used google too.

And just to clarify: I didnt mean A9 would be better than google in every way, but the new features they are offering are pretty awsome. Page loads are not as fast as google, but that doesnt bother me as much.
                      Yahoo USED TO use Google. They don't anymore. They are running their own platform now.
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                        Yahoo USED TO use Google. They don't anymore. They are running their own platform now.
                        And that is what A9 will end up doing, too. (also note i said used, not use)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X