No announcement yet.

vB License competition ideas needed

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vB License competition ideas needed

Besides some ideas the vbnl staff might have, I am still looking for an idea that makes me go 'Ah, that would be nice!'

So please share with me some of your competition experiences of what worked and what did not work, provide me with some suggestions, etc.

Because we want to have a nice competition with some great prizes, like a free vb license. Note: this thread isn't about the prizes or what or when, only about sharing ideas on what we could do as competition on our web site.

I can only really come up with ideas for hackers, i.e. "create the nicest, cleanest, most efficient and well-coded hack".

Maybe I'm biased. And maybe I'm just overconfident about my hacking skills

Then again, I probably wouldn't even participate in such a competition, cos I've no need for a vB license beyond the one I already have (and have paid for)

Comment

The thing is, everybody has a different idea about source code modifications, and their quality. Also, I don't think the majority of our site is into source code changes a lot, so I don't know if it will bring the best out of everybody.

Comment

Welll since your site is a vBulletin site, I'm sure a Style competition has already been mentioned..... how about having the best redesign of forumhome competition? You know, take forumhome and redesign it the way you think vB3 should look.... but then in that case, only people with good photoshopping or html skills would be able to do it

MGM out

Comment

Hi Floris

Well... I suppose it is really dependant upon the content of your www site and the material you discuss within it.

For me, on a musicians forum, here's what has worked well:

Annual Awards: 12 months 'Live' awards 6 Months 'Live' awards
          fav post
          fav avatar
          contraversial thread
          useless thread
          etc... 12 categories in total. These are always great fun and are massively popular with everyone.

Composition Competition:
          I have just closed entries, but asked members to submit a musical composition to be used and sold on my site as the sites' theme tune. Proceeds will go towards hosting and development costs, whilst the winner gets lots of promotion, cudos etc, as well as his/her piece recorded by top band and possibly released on CD.

BOC Brother: (Couldn't call it Big Brother re copyright issues etc)
          created a BOC Brother House where only contestants could post or reply
          created a diary room again where only BOC Brother & contestants could post or reply
          Ran online forfiets, tests and weekly nominations. (one was for the contestants to post something between them all - on the hour, every hour, for 48 hours... hehe wicked eh!

Caption Competition:
          I have a monthly photograph caption competition that is always well supported.

Hope this helps... let me know if you want further info...
          John

Comment

Originally posted by MetalGearMaster
            Welll since your site is a vBulletin site, I'm sure a Style competition has already been mentioned..... how about having the best redesign of forumhome competition? You know, take forumhome and redesign it the way you think vB3 should look.... but then in that case, only people with good photoshopping or html skills would be able to do it

MGM out
            A style competition, looking at how that went for vBorg, no thanks

Thanks all for the feedback so far.

Comment

Caption competitions sound real good.

"Create the funniest caption for this picture" for instance, would be quite popular I think. It's something that pretty much everyone can participate in.

Then you have more targetted-group competitions, like: prettiest picture (that you've taken yourself, mind you, not "found on the internet"), funniest picture of yourself with something vB-related (can be a Photoshop composition), most useful hack, prettiest design (but like floris said, seeing how the style comp. went at vb.org I'd be against that ideam myself), etc.

The musical competition idea is really good and creative, imo, but I don't think many people on a site like vb.nl would be able to really produce anything remotely worthwhile, except perhaps for a few musicians if there are any there

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
                A style competition, looking at how that went for vBorg, no thanks

Thanks all for the feedback so far.
                lol, how did it go at vb.org? I saw the announcements but didnt read the threads... was it that bad? I was thinking of having one for my forum

MusicMan's idea on annual awards works well too, I do that myself, and award members point from the store and other such prizes.

Here's an idea, since your site is a vB fan site, why not make a "Biggest vBulletin Fan" contest... something like, who posts the most at vb.com or knows the most about vB, or even a showcase of their forum or vB skills

MGM out

Comment

Just overflying all the other posts: Not another style competition. Almost all the vBulletin contests are style or design competitions, and some people just don't have the skills or the money for photoshop.
                  Actually, I'm sure a LOT of people don't have the skills and the money for photoshop
                  Best Regards
                  Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Don't worry - I am not to fund of style competitions myself. Hell, I sell a style, why would I allow my competition to show off their skills on my own site and reward them with a free vb license

Great ideas in this thread though, keep them coming people!

Comment

Biggest vBulletin fan idea is nice. How would that go? Could you give an example?

Comment

Easy Floris... just pick me as the winner....
                        John

Comment

Floris,

What about a competition for supporting material?! It could be documentation, video-demo on how to use/admin vbulletin, tutorials, translations, etc. People would send the material, you would evaluate and decide who gets the prize and, later on, all that material would be available to everyone.

Well, if you liked the idea, what about a prize just for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
                            Biggest vBulletin fan idea is nice. How would that go? Could you give an example?
                            A few examples I came up with during lunch:

1. Think the vb of the month we have here... have people post their forums and everyone vote on the best one for the month... it isnt official like it is here, more of a "cool award" that people can add in their Awards section (always assuming they have one)
                            2. Perhaps make individual awards such as Most Hacked vB, Most Changed Templates, Biggest Staff, Biggest Change from Default, etc.
                            3. Have a vB Quiz... The top 3 scorers are then given a "live" quiz via chat and the winner is the "vB-Know-It-All" or something
                            4. How about showing off how big a vB fan you are in real life? Have people send you pictures of vB stuff they have or how they're lives are connected to vB and you choose a winner (or have a vote)
                            5. Make a vB? Something like, have people setup test vB's for your eyes and their eyes only (to avoid problems with Jelsoft) and they design, hack, and edit a forum the best they can.... and you decide what the best overall one is.. the winner can get the license and maybe even the templates/changes all the other people made?

Just some ideas, if you do any of em lemme know I'd definitely enter some

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by msd
                              Floris,

What about a competition for supporting material?! It could be documentation, video-demo on how to use/admin vbulletin, tutorials, translations, etc. People would send the material, you would evaluate and decide who gets the prize and, later on, all that material would be available to everyone.

Well, if you liked the idea, what about a prize just for it?
                              Not a bad idea at all!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎