No announcement yet.

XHTML/CSS Validation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just find it a lot faster to use tables, table-less designs just take ages to make

My site still works in every browser I've downloaded though

I think people get way too aroused over their site not using tables, it's hardly curing world hunger is it

P.S. Daemon your forum is so incredibly difficult to read and make sense of, there's just bits all over the place, and then all the threads and posts are crammed into the end of a table
    Last edited by megahard; Tue 14th Sep '04, 1:30pm.

Comment

Originally posted by megahard
      table-less designs just take ages to make
      Only if you don't know how to do it. If you do, it's far faster. (Of course that depends on how complex you get, but I'm thinking a fairly complex layout....)
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

I think I will stick to tables

Comment

I actually found it EASIER to use no tables the first time around than I thought it was to use tables, and I've been using tables for over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by megahard
            I think people get way too aroused over their site not using tables, it's hardly curing world hunger is it
            You're forgetting about the growing audience that uses PDAs, cell phones, and even devices that read web pages to them.

On smaller screens such as PDAs and Cell Phones, CSS designed sites are much more accessible.

The more and more people that are converting to CSS layouts are only helping to progress further technologies. As if we stick with one thing forever, the demand for something more effective will lessen, just because "it works for me".

I've been using CSS to design layouts for so long, that using tables for a layout would be more difficult for me. As when you start nesting 3, 4, or 5 tables, things get complicated and it makes a page much harder to update. Tables are also harder to manipulate exactly to your liking- compared to a CSS layout.

And one final factor, tables are slower
            http://www.webtrickscentral.com/images/wtcsig.jpg

Comment

Please tell me this old arguement isn't going to flare up again?
              Personally I prefer to build a page using a combination of both tables and CSS, the tables defining the main structure of the page and the CSS elements tweaking each individual part. CSS by itself just seems more difficult to keep control over, especially accross different browsers.

If I have to write a page for viewing on a PDA I'll put a browser detect in my PHP.

Cheers,
              Robert
              Visit NoizPollution.com // Your Music Source

Do not PM or email me for support, you will not receive a response. Please post all requests for support in the main vBulletin forums or via the support system in the main members section of the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew111888
                Anyway, how important is XHTML/CSS validity to you?
                I don't lose sleep over it
                OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

It is important enough to take interest in .. slowly updating old sites from html 3.2 to xhtml/css improves performance, and the total site view. It is important enough to keep an eye on, recently I created a site for a friend and it shows 99,5% the same in all browsers (top5, latest version) and that was quite amazing, especially since I didn't try that hard to be compliant.

Note to mental people who are insane about every <tag />:
                  w3.org isn't a requirement, it is a recommendation.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X