Hackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hackers

We've had many hacking threats over the course of our forum's existence. None of them have ever eventuated, or suceeded.

However, if it one were to suceed, what could I do to prevent them from doing it again? I'm not talking about backing up the database, I mean, getting the authorities on them.

I know vBulletin went to the FBI a while ago when a hacker was attacking the servers. Yet I think the FBI is a little too large for such a forum as mine. Is there an international authority on hacking? I'm sure it must be illegal to hack, or cause malicious attacks on members?

Thankyou,

Alcar...
    http://www.oddworldforums.net

I would upgrade to the latest version if possible and .htaccess your mod and admin areas. This is to ensure you don't get broken into or at least make it very difficult for those hackers.

You might consider changing the default directory for your admin and mod control panels also to make it more difficult.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Which are the Admin and Mod areas on the server folks that I would need to protect using .htaccess...?

I see AdminCP and ModCP - I assume it is these areas...? just looking for clarification. Cheers.
      John

Comment

Originally posted by TheMusicMan
        Which are the Admin and Mod areas on the server folks that I would need to protect using .htaccess...?

I see AdminCP and ModCP - I assume it is these areas...? just looking for clarification. Cheers.
        Yes those...
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

thanks Josh...
          John

Comment

Oh, thankyou for the tips.

But I was more inclining towards what legal / authoritative action we could take, should such a hacking occur. I've heard about places many times, where a group will investigate hackings, and actually criminally charge hackers with 'hacking'.

Thanks,

Alcar...

Comment

Don't count on any legal action being taken. Unfortunately most of the hackers are in countries that are beyond the corntrol of your local laws.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                Don't count on any legal action being taken. Unfortunately most of the hackers are in countries that are beyond the corntrol of your local laws.
                If you were to were to actually have a pretty good idea who did it, and you knew they were from the United States, would there be anything one could do in an instance like that?

Comment

Believe me you will find it very difficult to get any authorities to take action if you are hacked. You are free to try, but when we were attacked, the FBI refused to do anything - even when we showed monetary damage and provided them with all the info on the attacker.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Is it not true that you need to be able to prove that the damages cost you a certain amount of money ($1000 I believe?), in order for the FBI to take action?
                    http://www.webtrickscentral.com/images/wtcsig.jpg

Comment

Believe me - you wiill not be able to find any legal authority that will care. However you don't have to believe me. Just try it for yourself.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        Believe me - you wiill not be able to find any legal authority that will care. However you don't have to believe me. Just try it for yourself.
                        That's stupid. The FBI, or any other authority is there to fight crime. Hacking is a crime. They need to get out of the doughnut shops, and do their jobs.

Comment

Hmmmm. Maybe I'll resort to contacting their ISP. Although, they are getting money out of these people - so I don't see them doing anything about it.

It's a shame, as we can't ban them completely. Moronic AOL and its multiple users with the same IPs.

Thanks, anyway

Alcar...

Comment

Originally posted by phensley
                            That's stupid. The FBI, or any other authority is there to fight crime. Hacking is a crime. They need to get out of the doughnut shops, and do their jobs.
                            They can't force another country's police to do something. For example, there are plenty of Thai warez sites which are probably reported all the time. Why? Because the Thai police probably cannot be bothered to shut them down.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin
                              They can't force another country's police to do something. For example, there are plenty of Thai warez sites which are probably reported all the time. Why? Because the Thai police probably cannot be bothered to shut them down.
                              This is one reason there should be guidlines for the internet. A global set of laws for being online. That way all countries are to enforce them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X