Linux or Windows ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux or Windows ?

I ordered a Windows-platform shared-server plan from my web hosting company, they contacted me back and suggested that I go with a Linux platform to run vBulletin.

She was very helpful and said that either would work, but that most people are happier with running a Linux platform?

I said find, we'll go with the Linux.

Any thoughts on this?

PS - I didn't know exactly where to post the thread, so I went to the chit chat section, since I don't need any help from the tech staff... Just wondering the opinions of the other members of the community on Linux versus Windows???

Mechanical Mind

Depending on your epirence and what you want to do linux may be the better choice. It will run perfectly fine on either. I have a server in my house with Windows 2003 server (standard) and it runs vB3 fine with all the bells and whistles (with apache it runs under IIS6 too as well).

My personal prefrence for a webserver is RHE or some other build of nix as its your choice, but i like having a control panel for my own personal uses it makes updating things very simple. cPanel is fairly good solution, at least i think so.

Comment

I am MCSE and yet I will never run a public web server on Windows and IIS. Linux and apache just do it so much better.

For intranets etc. Windows servers are fantastic

Comment

Windows or Linux as web server operating system shouldn't matter.

Personally I believe that the costs for a Linux web server are lower, the security of the operating system is higher and that the system is more flexible and dynamic. I believe it is more capable to balancing resources and my experience with linux servers is better in form of administrating a web site behind the scenes.

But, I help as many users with issues on linux as with windows. It is just my personal oppinion and experience, the choise is really yours.

Comment

They will both do the job, and there are pros and cons to both.

Personally for a server I always go for a variant of *nix unless there are windows requirments in the software.
          Last edited by Jerry; Sat 11 Sep '04, 1:57am.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X