Give me some options please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me some options please

Ok heres the deal. The orriginal owner of our site muscle-mustangs.com started it back a few years ago (of course with no vbulletin) but just to sell products off of, he named our site muscle-mustangs.com. Their was also a musclemustangs.com already registered in 98' and it expires in about a month. musclemustangs.com isn't being used, theirs a main page, but links are dead and their is no content.

We make all kinds of promotional products for our site including t-shirts, decals, etc with our name all over them. My concern is that when people see those, they wont notice the slash in the middle and they will type the wrong address in. My friends and family have been telling everyone about our site, and they say come visit musclemustangs.com and they forget to say that theirs a slash in their. Its kind of embarising, too because musclemustangs.com has no content or anything and they will think thats my site when it isn't

What are my options here? I would really like to get musclemustangs.com but I'm not sure if I can. I'm not sure if changing our name would be a good Ideal because we have so many products out their right now with our current sites address.

Originally posted by muscle-mustangs
    Ok heres the deal. The orriginal owner of our site muscle-mustangs.com started it back a few years ago (of course with no vbulletin) but just to sell products off of, he named our site muscle-mustangs.com. Their was also a musclemustangs.com already registered in 98' and it expires in about a month. musclemustangs.com isn't being used, theirs a main page, but links are dead and their is no content.

We make all kinds of promotional products for our site including t-shirts, decals, etc with our name all over them. My concern is that when people see those, they wont notice the slash in the middle and they will type the wrong address in. My friends and family have been telling everyone about our site, and they say come visit musclemustangs.com and they forget to say that theirs a slash in their. Its kind of embarising, too because musclemustangs.com has no content or anything and they will think thats my site when it isn't

What are my options here? I would really like to get musclemustangs.com but I'm not sure if I can. I'm not sure if changing our name would be a good Ideal because we have so many products out their right now with our current sites address.
    Try to contact the owner and ask them if you could buy the domain off them. That's what I did

MGM out

Comment

I would suggest seeing if you can snap the musclemustangs.com domain and maintain both of them.. Only cost you another $10.00 a year in site costs. Then you can update your product and your existing stock will still work. Just redirect the old domain to the new or vice versa.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        I would suggest seeing if you can snap the musclemustangs.com domain and maintain both of them.. Only cost you another $10.00 a year in site costs. Then you can update your product and your existing stock will still work. Just redirect the old domain to the new or vice versa.
        Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing that at all, but I'm not sure how the owner is going to respond.

For all I know he could be a cool guy or a total jerk. Maybe he plans to just let it run out and say screw it after it does. I'm just affraid that if I ask to buy it off of him (even though he only has a month left) that he will reregister it just to get us fired up or reregister it and try to sell it for hundreds or somehing imature llike that.

Comment

i'd suggest waiting until it expires, if he renews THEN contact him.

Comment

I agree with Nebby. Wait and see what he does. If you contact him now, he will most likely ask money for it (and probably more than a normal registration fee).

Comment

That is why I suggested Snapping it. Go through Snapnames and when it becomes available (won't be for 90 days or so) then you have a chance to get it when it drops automatically. If the person renews then talk to him about it.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by nebby
                i'd suggest waiting until it expires, if he renews THEN contact him.
                That's what I was going to suggest. Take his advice and wait and see.

MGM out

Comment

I wouldn't contact the owner. Do as Wayne suggests. Chances are he isn't aware of your site and if by contacting him you make him aware of it bad things could happen.
                  Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

The only problem with letting it expire is some search company usually buy expired domains for a year. You would be screwed...
                    Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Backorder it at Pool.com (much more successful than Snapnames). Note that they have an auction system, so you may have to pay more than $60, depending on how many other people want the domain.

Comment

Thanks guys, I think we have decided to wait a little after midnight on the night it expires, then grab it and hope he forgets or doesn't reregister it.

Comment

The domain doesn't drop on the expiration date, it's usually deleted about 65 days later.

Comment

And if you don't backorder it, it will be ordered by some company before you can hand order it.
                            Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X