Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody want to offer advice ???

Hello.

I am new to this forum. I am a layperson (with computers) who is going to develop a website to host a vBulletin message board for my field of expertise.

I have found the professionals at vBulletin very helpful, much more so than others.

What I have done so far is this:

1. Registered a domain name.

2. Got a shared server.

3. Purchased vBulletin.

4. Installed vBulletin

*** Well, actually I began the installation process ... but it seems like I am awaiting some information from the web hosting company that I am using. (Data393 ... I hope that is OK to say???)

Will they eventually send me the information that I need to proceed with the installation?

All I got was a confirmation of the transaction last night, they didn't give me any other information.

Any help, suggestions, or advice is VERY welcome. But remember, I am a layperson, not a computer programmer, so it won't be hard to shoot right over my head.

Thank you. Mechanical Mind.

Originally posted by mechanical mind
    but it seems like I am awaiting some information from the web hosting company that I am using.

Will they eventually send me the information that I need to proceed with the installation?
    What information are you waiting for?
    OPEN TECH SUPPORT
    "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Things needed for the upload part of the vBulletin installation.

Such as:

servername
      dbasename
      dbpassword
      dbname
      technicial email
      etc...

Comment

You are the one that sets that information up.

Comment

1. servername - This should almost always remane 'localhost'

2. dbasename, dbpassword and dbname - You first need to create a database. Here are the instructions for setting-up a MySQL Database in cPanel (which I believe your host provides):
          http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/cpanel_database

3. technicial email - the email address you want any database error messages to go. Usually this is your address or the address of the person running your forums.
          etc...
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

err, don't they already send you that information when you signed up for hosting? If they gave you a link to your site's control panel, you can already get the information you need. Anyway...

servername = localhost
            dbasename = you create this in your control panel's MYSQl section
            dbpassword = you create this in your control panel
            dbname = you create this in your control panel
            technicial email = your email

I think this will be better answered in the vBulletin installation forums...
            OPEN TECH SUPPORT
            "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Please forgive me ignorance ... but I have to ask:

How do I set that up?

Comment

Edit the config.php file in the includes folder

MGM out

Comment

??? All I got when I ordered the web hosting on a shared server last night was a receipt printed out stating the plan that I chose ???

There were no links, or addresses, or options, or controls panels, or anything like that. Is there a specific thing that I should be looking for???

Is this control panel something found in vBulletin3 folder when I unzip it???

Thank you for your help.
                  Last edited by mechanical mind; Sun 5 Sep '04, 10:12am. Reason: To clarify my post. :)

Comment

Then you should contact your host. They should have given you this information.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Very helpful.

Thank you Steve and everybody else for the help. I thought for a brief moment there that I was going crazy. I did email my webhost and they haven't answered yet, however, I can relax knowing that they will provide the information that I need. Hopefully, the next time I post here I will have this matter settled.

Thanks again.

vBulletin seems like a great product, I can't wait to get started!!!

mechanical mind

PS - If I have any other questions I will make sure to direct them to the vBulletin3 installation board.
                      Last edited by mechanical mind; Sun 5 Sep '04, 10:31am. Reason: To clarify my post.

Comment

Hi again.

I wanted to follow up on this thread because it might be of use to future vBulletin customers...

If you've read this thread from the beginning you can tell that I am new with the entire experience of running a website. And that I was left very confused by my webhosting company after I ordered one of their plans online...

After several emails to my webhosting company, followed up by a phone call, it turns out that I simply need to wait three to five days for an email that will inform me of my password and other necessary information needed to access my server and to complete the vBulletin upload...

That would have been R E A L L Y N I C E to know when I made the transaction, instead of several days of stressful confusion!!!

So to future users of vBulletin who are not very computer savvy (like myself) be aware that you will need a password and possibly other info from your webhost before you can fully install the software.

However, the service that I have received from vBulletin has been exemplary. I sincerely doubt that service this personalized and valuable exists elsewhere on the 'net.

Thank you to the vBulletin team and the members of this community for answering my questions.

Have a nice day.

Mechanical Mind
                        Last edited by mechanical mind; Tue 7 Sep '04, 3:47pm. Reason: To clarify my post.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X