Dev Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dev Server

I'm looking at buying a cheap computer to setup as a server for my house just so I can test things out before I upload them to the web. I was thinking about building another computer and setup the old one as a server but I would rather wait on that until BTX, DDR2, and PCI Express become stable technologies which IMO I don't believe will happen before next summer anyways.

I was thinking about just going with the Dell Poweredge server at the least specs which is only around $299. I don't mind spending around that much but the less the better as it is only a test machine and won't be used for anything else.

Are there any other options I should look at?
    Surrix.net: Computer help forums/articles

The person in my avatar is Elisha Cuthbert she plays on Fox's 24

Rather than buying a whole new pc for a server, why not just setup your current pc as a server? Try downloading ApacheTriad (google it), that will allow you to run php, mysql, apache, phpmyadmin, as well as other various software on your own pc

MGM out

Comment

www.apachefriends.org is better

You could keep your current and get a new one to replace your 'old' desktop
      That's the end of that!

Comment

... or follow this
        http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96561

Comment

I already have that installed. I'm looking for something to install Linux on. I know I can dual boot but I would rather have both on at the same time. The reason I want to do this so on the new machine I can have Apache, MySQL with Linux and on the windows machine I can run IIS.

Comment

Maybe just pick up a cheap used computer?

Comment

Yeah I was looking around Ebay for some options but nothing really showed up. I'm thinking about going with a barebones kit like this one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=S450-3208

All I need for it outside the kit is some memory, which I don't need much of, and a hardrive which I have a 30gb lying around so I will use that.

Can anyone see any reason why this would not work. I don't plan on using the graphic Linux client just the command based one so I think it should work out great. Anything I should be worried about?

Comment

I grabbed a barebone system from Asus (Terminator) for £110 (they're about £90 now). 512mb ram, 40GB Disk and Athlon 1800+ and thats me done

Onboard Network, graphics, sound and included a cd drive.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                  I grabbed a barebone system from Asus (Terminator) for £110 (they're about £90 now). 512mb ram, 40GB Disk and Athlon 1800+ and thats me done

Onboard Network, graphics, sound and included a cd drive.
                  Could you tell me where you bought it from?

EDIT: Also do you think 512 is a must or will 256 do good to. Remember all I'm running is Linux (command line), Apache, PHP, MySQL and any other web programs I might want to test out. I'm going to be the only one accessing it on a usual basis.
                  Last edited by Surrix; Sun 5 Sep '04, 3:05pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X