Free .Info for all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm...

Interesting..but after a year wouldn't you rather buy a .com instead of .info?

dunno..
    <ahref="www.s6.invisionfree.com/persia>GlobalPersia</a>
    just a suggestion.

-NAzoN

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B
      Well I registered two on Sunday....

http://www.bowlandcentral.info
      http://www.bcforums.info

Although they show up in a whois, the domains have still not resolved.

I have set them up to use URL forwarding and double checked everything is correct, but no joy.

Not that it's important really as they would not be main domains, but it's disappointing that those two domains are now tied up but unusable.....as ever, you get what you pay for (in this nothing whatsoever) and if I REALLY need a new domain, I'll pay $19 for one done properly through my existing host. By the time that's converted into sterling it's peanuts.
      I registered one .info domain with domainsite on Monday (and I changed the DNS at the same time). It has just resolved (about an hour ago - so it took over 36 hours from the time I registered it) but I was really begining to worry that I had fallen for a scam. They say it can take up to 72 hours so give it another day or so.

Comment

Mine updated in 25 minutes...
        Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Originally posted by nazon
          Interesting..but after a year wouldn't you rather buy a .com instead of .info?

dunno..
          <ahref="www.s6.invisionfree.com/persia>GlobalPersia</a>
          just a suggestion.

-NAzoN
          Well it depends, I was planning on buying a .info anyway as the site I am going to use it for is not commercial, it is informational (with adsense all over it of course ). There's also the problem that the majority of decent .com domain names are already taken. With the newer .info you stand a better chance of getting a decent domain name

Comment

I can't get mine to accept my second nameserver. I don't think it likes dns/dn2 nameservers.

I emailed them to have them change the nameservers on all the domains.

Comment

looks like dotster.com is giving them out too.
              Chamber of Secrets - The Ultimate Harry Potter Community!

Comment

Still nothing. A total waste of time, and now two domains that pertain to my site are in the hands of a third party who can effectively do what they like with them.

Emails to the company are ignored.

Not at all impressed...you get what you pay for! I'd urge people NOT to risk this at all, and get your domain for a small fee from a reputable provider.
                MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
                AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B
                  Still nothing. A total waste of time, and now two domains that pertain to my site are in the hands of a third party who can effectively do what they like with them.

Emails to the company are ignored.

Not at all impressed...you get what you pay for! I'd urge people NOT to risk this at all, and get your domain for a small fee from a reputable provider.
                  Mine work perfectly. DNS propagated and everything, and they're now fully working. It shouldn't take more than a few days for me to get up a few new websites.

Seeing as dotster.com is giving them out as well, I might register a few there as well. 50 free domains.. not bad at all

It gives me a good chance to trial run new websites for a year, and if they work out, I'll re-new them (either at my usual registrar or domainsite/dotster), and if they fail, I'll simply let them expire. No problems at all

Comment

Sounds very interesting, I got a few .infos now.

Comment

I found the other catch .

DomainSite must be using its own local registry to queue these registrations rather than using the global registry because they refuse to recognize my nameservers with another registrar (although they provide the immediate ability to assign nameservers to a domain already in their system). As a result, currently it is impossible to run these domains on my server.

I tried contacting them on Sep 6th to get my nameservers added to their registry and no response yet, so yesterday I decided to try transferring one of these domains to another registrar. Just recieved an email saying the request was denied because their TOS states you cannot transfer domains within 60 days of registration.

Anyway, thought you'd wanna know. I'll keep prodding them and see what happens, but right now I'm wondering if refusing to recognize another registrar's nameservers is even legal.
                      "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
                      It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

omg i finally got to post something

Comment

Originally posted by WizyWyg
                          too bad spammers have made the .info hierarchy useless (along with the .biz and .us TLD's)
                          What do you mean ? Can you explain this to me ?
                          Lumina, aventurière des mondes fantastiques et petite rédactrice au grand cœur
                          Cœur Lumière - vBulletin-fr
                          Join the vBulletin French community social group!

Comment

Originally posted by welo
                            I found the other catch .

DomainSite must be using its own local registry to queue these registrations rather than using the global registry because they refuse to recognize my nameservers with another registrar (although they provide the immediate ability to assign nameservers to a domain already in their system). As a result, currently it is impossible to run these domains on my server.

I tried contacting them on Sep 6th to get my nameservers added to their registry and no response yet, so yesterday I decided to try transferring one of these domains to another registrar. Just recieved an email saying the request was denied because their TOS states you cannot transfer domains within 60 days of registration.

Anyway, thought you'd wanna know. I'll keep prodding them and see what happens, but right now I'm wondering if refusing to recognize another registrar's nameservers is even legal.
                            Get the IPs of your nameservers and create a nameserver under one of your .info domains and use it.

Comment

Originally posted by squall14716
                              Get the IPs of your nameservers and create a nameserver under one of your .info domains and use it.
                              I don't quite get where you're coming from. You're saying I can assign the same IPs to more than one set of nameservers? Not saying you're wrong but I don't see how that can work if the IPs already correspond to nameservers in the global registry. There isn't a chance I'm moving the domain these nameservers are built upon to them, I know that.
                              "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
                              It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

Login and edit the "main" .info domain. Create a nameserver under that domain (should be an option). Call it "ns1" or whatever, and assign it to the same IP address of your .com (or whatever other tld) nameserver. Then create another for ns2, etc.

Now edit the nameservers and have the domain point to nsx.yoursite.info. Trust me, it works. Your other nameservers will obviously be left intact and the new ones will work. I've done it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X