Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPB is not free, and hasn't been since 1.3.1.

IPB License
    The Company, at its discretion, may offer a free trial download of Invision Power Board available on its web site and certain authorized distributors. Use of this free trial is also provided under the terms of this Agreement with the additional notice that no technical support or service for the free trial download will be provided by the Company. Permanent use of the software requires purchasing the license.
    Basically, you get the 'unlimited trial', but it is indeed a trial. Once you decide that you want to use IPB, or start using it as your "real" board then you must purchase it.

Comment

IPB is free. If you'll be using it a very very long time, you should pay, yes. But for the moment there's no set limit. Eventually it might be like vB, but then there's always phpBB.

Comment

No, if you use it a long time then you must purchase a license. Just search "free" on the IPB suggestions/freedback forum and you'll see tons of people explaining it (ie: here).

The point in the trial is to get to "test" the board for yourself. Anything beyond testing requires a license. I think they only offer this "unlimited trial" because at the very beginning of IPS they always promised that IPB would be free. I think they didn't want to sound like they were going back on their word.
        Last edited by Chroder; Thu 2 Sep '04, 4:35pm.

Comment

Originally posted by phpplace
          I agree. Why should anyone pay for vB when PHP is free and coding software is free? It's not worth paying for a bulletin board when there's no real separation between vB and a free BBS like IPB.
          Go code your own then.

And yes, I am saying vBulletin is literally superior to IPB.

Comment

If you say vB is superior to IPB, you must like lying. They have similar features and both work well.

Comment

Obviously you've never ran a serious board

Comment

Originally posted by Chroder
                Obviously you've never ran a serious board
                That's not true. Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around vB.

Comment

Never said it did

Comment

I wouldn't let vBulletin, being a procedural-based system, to run my highly visited website/forum. I don't enjoy my server bogging down. ^_^

Don

Comment

Originally posted by phpplace
                      If you say vB is superior to IPB, you must like lying. They have similar features and both work well.
                      Explain to me how they're similiar enough for you to claim vB isn't superior.

Oh yeah, it won't bog it down...

Comment

lol this is turning out to be an all-out war with vB vs. IPB (again).

People, you obviously made up your mind so there's no point that anyone will make that'll change it. You couldn't seriously think to come to the official vB boards and try to convince us that any other bb is better...

Comment

Do you know why IPB charge for a license? Because their costumers want support.

What i mean is that IPB is completely free. Literally you are paying the license ONLY for support. Now let think again vB isn't free and on that is expensive paying the Member area yearly and that if you buy the owned license

IPB is free. Support is not given on IPB community for the people who dont have license.

Comment

Support both on the forums and in the support ticket system comes free if you purchase vBulletin.

If you want a free board, USE ONE. If you want the best, BUY IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Chroder
                              lol this is turning out to be an all-out war with vB vs. IPB (again).

People, you obviously made up your mind so there's no point that anyone will make that'll change it. You couldn't seriously think to come to the official vB boards and try to convince us that any other bb is better...
                              Not really, you people keep mixing them.
                              We are really off-track on the subject Because people keep mixing others BBS

Comment

Originally posted by akurashy
                                IPB is free. Support is not given on IPB community for the people who dont have license.
                                Regardless of what you think their business plan is, paying is paying.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X