Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured you vBulletin people wouldn't understand this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by perfectphp

I own vBulletin. I also helped develop a free message board, and continue to do so. Your reference to 'you vBulletin people' is a bit ignorant, sorry. You come off as acting like you think you're superior to 'us' in that last post. Now, the reasons us 'vBulletin people' purchase vBulletin is quite simple. With vBulletin, you're going to get what you aren't guaranteed with a free board. I'll admit it, on projects I've worked on, support is not always at the forefront. The developers live two lives, and unfortunately the one including developing the software doesn't always come first. However, with vBulletin, it is exactly the opposite. These developers, along with the support team, are dedicated to giving the paying customer support. It's not as if someone at vBulletin just decides to go out and buy a new car every day because they had a large number of new licenses purchased. The money you are paying is the best way to give you, the end-user, the best possible experience with their software; something free bulletin boards, or even other free development projects, struggle to do.
      - Andrew Pfeifer

Comment

I really don't think it could have been said much better Andrew

Comment

You're right - I don't. Which is why I questioned the accuracy of the OP's post which sounded as though all bbs software are commercial and not free while all web server software are free and not commercial.

Comment

Indeed, I started using vBulletin as it was the best piece of software at the time, regardless of it's licence - and thats what I wanted.

Free software does offer excellent quality, and doesn't usually offer any more guarentees or warranties than proprietary software.

The Jelsoft licence agreement:
            The software and the accompanying files are sold "As Is" and without warranties as to performance of merchantability or any other warrantied whether expressed or implied.

You must assume the entire risk of using the program. ANY LIABILITY OF JELSOFT WILL BE LIMITED EXCLUSIVELY TO PRODUCT REPLACEMENT OR REFUND OF PURCHASE PRICE.

And Microsoft is the same. You buy their software, but it doesn't have to work, or even slightly work. You've agreed to buy a piece of software which may or may not work, and if it doesn't work - tough. You agreed to the licence (i.e. opened a CD shrink-wrap and clicked a YES button without reading a load of legal jargon), so thats OK.

phpBB does have the opportunity to surpass vBulletin in terms of features, as the number of developers who can work on it is technicaly infinite. Proprietary software doesn't have this advantage because they are limited by the number of people they can employe vs how much money they make. phpBB will also be around forever and ever, and someone can pick up the project in 10 yeras time and continue to develop it. vBulletin however... who knows, it's a private entity and the owners can do whatever they want. It's out of our hands

However to pay for comercial/proprietary software usually gives you the ability to shout and complain to a company and someone to blame and point the finger at if it you have problems. That is what you are paying for at the end of the day, in my opinion. Reading the licence may prove me otherwise.
            HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
            -
            Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

I do not believe it is a fair comparision.

Different development models are used for different types of software. PHP has a large number of developers doing different jobs, Apache has an entire community for development, and mysql is supported by its commercial partners.

Jelsoft has chosen a method that works well for software developers (which is used all over the place) of a subscription-based setup where you pay for the rights to use their intellectual property and for support that is top-notch.

As an extreme example (and not one intended to bring out the linux advocates), why would you use windows over linux becuase linux is free!?

Because its a hell of alot easier to setup, and a hell of alot easier to find (or pay for) support.

Comment

No different then free webhosting, there may be tons of free ones out there but I "chose" to buy a hosting plan. It's simple, support is better then free hosting, more reliable and if I am running a business then I don't want to take my chances with a free host or some free forum software when there is no garauntee that support will be there when and if I need them. That's a "big" deal to me.

Got a Boxer?
                BoxerTalk

Comment

Originally posted by akurashy
                  I been thinking about this. Apache, PHP and mySQL are all free, why should you pay for a bulletin board?

Now what your opinion about this? Apache is free, PHP is free, MySql is free?
                  And a Bulletin Board is not?
                  Now think, and Opinate
                  Why spend money on Windows when you can download Linux?

Originally posted by akurashy
                  Yea, but why not making vB at least a free trial?
                  They did. It is called the admin demo:

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

Comment

If you have no intention to purchase vBulletin, I invite you to find a sponsor or pick an alternative, be it phpBB or other freeware forum software. If they don't offer what vBulletin does, then maybe it is worth the price. This discussion is old, and I understand you prefer free over having to pay, but this just isn't the case. The discussion won't change much, it costs money and it will remain to do so.

Comment

It's been explained numerous times why this is commercial software and not freeware. Not to sound arrogant or anything, but why should vBulletin give away software that is superior to all others as freeware?

If you haven't grasped that by the time you read this post (assuming you read all the ones before me), then it's pretty obvious you don't understand much of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                        Why spend money on Windows when you can download Linux?

They did. It is called the admin demo:

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php
                        I don't mean that kind of trial.

And about windows well i didn't pay it anyway i be changing to Linux gentoo soon. Now why paying for a buggy software when you can download a free sources OS (back to topic)

go opinate people O.O

Comment

Its the best, the support is amazing, the modification is totlay a plus, and there staff is soo hulpful. I still dont see how you saying that all the other components you listed just because they are free, vbulletin should be also ?
                          Rebel Designs Studios

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew111888
                            It's been explained numerous times why this is commercial software and not freeware. Not to sound arrogant or anything, but why should vBulletin give away software that is superior to all others as freeware?

If you haven't grasped that by the time you read this post (assuming you read all the ones before me), then it's pretty obvious you don't understand much of anything.
                            So you saying that no bulletin system will beat this? literally thats what you saying. Superiority?

--
                            For all people that are off topic we are talking about
                            Why PHP, MySql , Apache are free and why this bbs isn't?
                            To the meaning about begin comercially. I guess all that vB has to say?

Comment

Okay, let's get this topic back on track.

Akurashy and I started this thread to see what the vBulletin community thought about what IPS said with the "Apache, PHP, and MySQL is free...why should you have to pay for a bulletin board?". In no way does this relate to vBulletin except for what the community thinks that IPS said this, and now they're starting to sell their software, along with their services.

Don

Comment

I agree. Why should anyone pay for vB when PHP is free and coding software is free? It's not worth paying for a bulletin board when there's no real separation between vB and a free BBS like IPB.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X