This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets us think twice!

I been thinking about this. Apache, PHP and mySQL are all free, why should you pay for a bulletin board?

Now what your opinion about this? Apache is free, PHP is free, MySql is free?
    And a Bulletin Board is not?
    Now think, and Opinate

I'm guessing you're referrering to http://web.archive.org/web/20020912123518/http://www.invisionboard.com/ ?

Comment

I won't mix one thing to another. I mean those sources are all free.

Comment

You can download free bulletin boards if you want to. You have a choice. Use it.

As for vBulletin it is commercial software and will remain so.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by akurashy
          I been thinking about this. Apache, PHP and mySQL are all free, why should you pay for a bulletin board?

Now think, and Opinate
          Because those things might be free, but I have no idea how to put them to the use I want... these guys, however, have spent a lot of hours doing that very thing, paying them for their work is only fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            You can download free bulletin boards if you want to. You have a choice. Use it.

Yea, but why not making vB at least a free trial?

Comment

Originally posted by maggie
              Because those things might be free, but I have no idea how to put them to the use I want... these guys, however, have spent a lot of hours doing that very thing, paying them for their work is only fair.
              They put in the same amount of time when it was free. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol

How does this relate to akurashy's topic? :P

Comment

vBulletin was never free. There was a vB Lite version that was strictly designed to see if your server was compatible with vB - but it was never intended to be a 'free' BB system.

And I think my post is right on topic, thank you.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

...and yet, we were talking about why IPS quoted 'why should you pay for message boards?', which recently IPS just started to sell their forum software; thus, going back on their statement.

You were almost on topic.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the vBulletin forum software.

We are sorry, but we can not offer any further discounts or free licenses. The vBulletin forum software is already priced lower than most of our competitors, with an owned license at $160, and the option for a 1 year leased license for $85.

Please read our Sales FAQ (http://www.vbulletin.com/faqsales.php) for more details.

You can order vBulletin from this page: http://www.vBulletin.com/order/

Please let me know if you require any further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                        Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the vBulletin forum software.

We are sorry, but we can not offer any further discounts or free licenses. The vBulletin forum software is already priced lower than most of our competitors, with an owned license at $160, and the option for a 1 year leased license for $85.

Please read our Sales FAQ (http://www.vbulletin.com/faqsales.php) for more details.

You can order vBulletin from this page: http://www.vBulletin.com/order/

Please let me know if you require any further assistance.
                        sigh. :P

Comment

We aren't really asking for prices or whatever. I want the people to opinate about this subject. I don't have any problems buying vBulletin or any other BBS. I just got that question stuck in my mind.

Comment

There are free web server software (Apache) and there are commercial ones.

There are free operating systems and there are commercial ones.

There are free php accelerators and there are commercial ones.

There are free computer games and there are commercial ones.

There are free bulletin board systems and there are commercial ones.

So your original question:

... is inaccurate as there ARE free bulletin board software out there.

So what if Apache is free? There are other webserver software out there that is NOT free. Why do THEY exist?

Comment

It's supported, it's the best... My main two reasons for buying.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X