Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost 160GB of data!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lost 160GB of data!

    A few hours ago there was a thunderstorm, so decided to switch off all my pcs which are already protected by APC UPS.

    Later turn the pcs back on and my file server greets me with corrupted OS message! So decide to format and reinstall but get WinXP unable to format or access disk - could be damaged message!

    Gonna have to spend a few days taking apart the file server to test each hard drive using the diagnostic tools

    4x 80GB WD 800JB
    2x 200GB WD 2000JB

    darn it
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

  • #2
    Originally posted by eva2000
    A few hours ago there was a thunderstorm, so decided to switch off all my pcs which are already protected by APC UPS.

    Later turn the pcs back on and my file server greets me with corrupted OS message! So decide to format and reinstall but get WinXP unable to format or access disk - could be damaged message!

    Gonna have to spend a few days taking apart the file server to test each hard drive using the diagnostic tools

    4x 80GB WD 800JB
    2x 200GB WD 2000JB

    darn it
    OUCH >_< thats gotta such big time! hope you get everything fixed! and hopefully recover the lost files!
    http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.

    Comment


    • #3
      Buy another 80GB drive and go Raid 5.
      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

      Comment


      • #4


        I keep my data duplicated on two computers.

        Comment


        • #5
          You seem to have the roughest time with computer hardware.
          Translations provided by Google.

          Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

          Comment


          • #6
            I think its because george has so much of it
            Scott MacVicar

            My Blog | Twitter

            Comment


            • #7
              My condolences George
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

              Comment


              • #8
                Actually i have a question now.

                What do you need 0.72TB of storage for?

                My fileserver runs a 160gb drive with 8mb cache, though I do plan to add another for storing media alone.
                Scott MacVicar

                My Blog | Twitter

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by eva2000
                  A few hours ago there was a thunderstorm, so decided to switch off all my pcs which are already protected by APC UPS.

                  Later turn the pcs back on and my file server greets me with corrupted OS message! So decide to format and reinstall but get WinXP unable to format or access disk - could be damaged message!

                  Gonna have to spend a few days taking apart the file server to test each hard drive using the diagnostic tools

                  4x 80GB WD 800JB
                  2x 200GB WD 2000JB

                  darn it
                  Just wondering George, why not just reinstall to a new directory or use ASR?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                    What do you need 0.72TB of storage for?
                    George said that they are mirrored so it is 0.36TB of storage.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tgillespie
                      Buy another 80GB drive and go Raid 5.
                      He already has enough for RAID 5 (you only need three).....

                      That would suck to lose data like that..... at least mine was taken from me, and I'll hopefully get it back....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It's happened to me twice last year. I end up just backing up important files by burning them onto CDs just in case.
                        Avatar Chat

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                          I think its because george has so much of it
                          lol.. that could be the case hehe

                          as to storage, file server is also TV/PVR schedule weeks worth of my fav tv programs and movies to record for viewing when i have time hehe

                          at the time though i was performing a 5million post forum vB upgrade and was rebuilding the postindex when the thunderstorm came sigh. Now running rebuild on another pc 4 days and 32million row postindex table and still going

                          Originally posted by Zachery
                          Just wondering George, why not just reinstall to a new directory or use ASR?
                          one of the disks reported damaged by winxp, so will have to test them all first before reinstalling winxp..
                          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ah.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by eva2000
                              at the time though i was performing a 5million post forum vB upgrade and was rebuilding the postindex when the thunderstorm came sigh. Now running rebuild on another pc 4 days and 32million row postindex table and still going
                              Why not just drop the postindex and word tables and turn on fulltext searching?

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X