Infopop begins work on new php+mySQL powered board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MetalGearMaster
    Think of it this way, vBulletin 3 is currently the most advanced and used board system out there, am I correct? How can a NEW board system, that comes out in a year, be any threat to vBulletin? That's like saying that if I make a new OS, Microsoft's 10 or so years of experience and user base better watch out cause I'm coming!

MGM out
    Three years ago...

Think of it this way, UBB.threads is currently the most advanced and used board system out there, am I correct? How can a NEW board system, that just came out, be any threat to UBB? That's like saying if I make a new OS, Microsoft's 10 or so years of experience and user base better watch out cause I'm coming!
    Side note: *nix is catching on, and MS sees it quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by Beorn
      Three years ago...

Side note: *nix is catching on, and MS sees it quite well.
      Unix has been around for ages, and I even heard that M$ developed XP on Unix machines

and obviously, vBulletin 1 must have been more advanced than UBB.threads at the time for so many people to leave it when vBulletin released, just as brad.loo said. However, vBulletin has been in development for years now, and it has surpassed every other forum software out there, even ones that have been around longer. So how can a NEW competitor, within only a year, be expected to outdue vBulletin?

MGM out

Comment

As many have already said, I think they've waited a bit too long to go down this road
        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

There are still thousands of UBB forums alive and well. There are also thousands of UBB.Threads forums out there. Maybe you don't see them because most communities that you frequent are ones that you found searching for vbulletin boards or were posted here on vbulletin.com. Visit ubbdev or threadsdev and you'll find those forums.
          I think Infopop is in a way righting the wrong they did to all their loyal members when they promised a db backend product and instead released Open Topic. They bought wwwthreads with the hope of making amends with it. Didn't work. Now they will release a new product to try and compete in the niche market again and claim some of what they lost to vbulletin and other products. UBB was the first linear forum application. Up until its release there was only Matt Wrights wwwboard which was threaded.
          It is interesting to note that had Infopop not thumbed their nose at UBB users by releasing Open Topic and instead had worked out a deal with John there would no vbulletin today. Infopop instead wanted to get into the enterprise field catering to big corps instead of mom and pop sites which made UBB #1.
          Competition is good. I have a feeling the new product will be similiar to UBB.x. If it is that won't be a bad thing. I kind of like the GUI and features.
          Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

but vbulletin is adding new features now aswell, and their product isnt planned for spring 2005. think of were vbulletin will be in spring 2005
            Originally Posted by Zachery
            John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
            We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

Unix has been around for ages, and I even heard that M$ developed XP on Unix machines

and obviously, vBulletin 1 must have been more advanced than UBB.threads at the time for so many people to leave it when vBulletin released, just as brad.loo said. However, vBulletin has been in development for years now, and it has surpassed every other forum software out there, even ones that have been around longer. So how can a NEW competitor, within only a year, be expected to outdue vBulletin?

MGM out
              If I've read this thread and old threads correctly, at the time of vBulletin 1 the reason a lot of UBB members switched to vB is because vB runs on PHP/MySQL.

Comment

MGM out
                Ubb.classic is what ubb users converted from way back when, which is a perl + flat file board. Main reasons for converting where overall speed, searching speed, and server load issues.

Altho vB1 did have its fair share of slowness when it came to communication with the mySQL database, which was greatly improved in later versions.

Comment

Originally posted by AWS
                  There are still thousands of UBB forums alive and well. There are also thousands of UBB.Threads forums out there. Maybe you don't see them because most communities that you frequent are ones that you found searching for vbulletin boards or were posted here on vbulletin.com. Visit ubbdev or threadsdev and you'll find those forums.
                  meh

http://www.big-boards.com/index.php?page=all
                  http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo
                    Ubb.classic is what ubb users converted from way back when, which is a perl + flat file board. Main reasons for converting where overall speed, searching speed, and server load issues.

Altho vB1 did have its fair share of slowness when it came to communication with the mySQL database, which was greatly improved in later versions.
                    lol, sorry, I guess I misunderstood that one

MGM out

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X