Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Vbulletin really threaten to sue Something Awful?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Vbulletin really threaten to sue Something Awful?

The following is on the something awful forums now:

VBULLETIN SAID THEY WERE GOING TO SUE ME IF I DIDN'T KEEP THIS CRAP HERE:
    Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.2.9
    Copyright ©2000, 2001, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
    WHY DON'T YOU SPEND TIME MAKING GOOD SOFTWARE INSTEAD OF LOOKING FOR FORUMS TO SUE?
    http://www.somethingawful.com

everyone accepted the license agreement. and he could buy the copyright removal. so.
    selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

oh, and what i just found:

Powered by: Our hacked version of vBulletin
      Copyright ©2000-2002, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited, although we did more work on the software than they did.
      http://www.somethingawful.com

http://archives.somethingawful.com/
      selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

if they removed the copyright tags and without purchasing the branding free options, then yes Jelsoft threatend to sue.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

We hire a company to handle these matters... so we can spend time making good software.

But yeah, if they removed the copyright text without purchasing a branding free license then they are violating the license agreement.

Comment

'VBULLETIN IS AN OVERPIRCED PIECE OF ****.' then why do they use it ermm some people have no brains.

Comment

probably its part of their humor. they may have bought the branding free option and added a modified coypright? would that be legal?
              selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

Originally posted by C.Birch
                'VBULLETIN IS AN OVERPIRCED PIECE OF ****.' then why do they use it ermm some people have no brains.
                My thoughts exactly.

if they hate it so much, and they did more work to it than jelsoft, why not make their own or go for a free option :P

Comment

Originally posted by rin
                  probably its part of their humor. they may have bought the branding free option and added a modified coypright? would that be legal?
                  No, it's branding free, not rebranding.
                  Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

well, if thats the case. they should go with an alternative if they dont like vbulletin as they say in their copyrights.
                    selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

Originally posted by C.Birch
                      Jelsoft could sue for slander then knowing that they are directly telling a lie that they know is a lie.
                      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Or, if they just dont like the product, refuse that they renew their membership. If they bought an "owned" license, just refuse to accept their $30 renewal fee every year. Then they'll be stuck with just the version they have.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

Like someone said.

It's part of the humor of the site. Somethingawful is to forums what Howard Stern is to Radio. The fact that SA runs vB speaks highly of the vB software.

Comment

Hi,
                            Whoever thinks that vBulletin does not have the right to sue the Webmaster is an idoot (I'm sorry to you all)(and thats saying a lot coming from someone who started a thread called "vBulletin SUCKS"... twice).

See, you CAN remove the copyright information if (as said) you get the branding free add-on plan. But, think about it, if you but something that is copyrighted, and then say you made it, it is not very legal is it now?

See?
                            Look how far we get when we stop yelling and think. Trust me, I did that when I didn't like vBulletin, and now I'll share the wealth

Woodley

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X