Mixing Memory Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing Memory Brands

Adviseable? Yes? No? Am I asking for trouble?

I currently own a piece of GeIL 512MB GL5123500UP. I was thinking of getting another 512MB piece of memory, but from OCZ Technology. I was considering their OCZ Technology PC3500 512MB OCZ433512EBPE Enhanced Bandwith or their OCZ Technology PC3700 512MB OCZ466512EBPE Enhanced Bandwith
    Your thoughts?
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

I'm using four DDR400 sticks of two different brands with no problems. Don't mix brands within one channel, though.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Single Channel? Why though Filburt? :-S
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I recommend staying with the same brand, especially with DDR. Slight differences in manufactor voltages can mean the difference between your computer running smoothly and not booting.

Comment

re: mixing memory

Generally try not too, but if you do its not a huge problem.. Reason mostly being, the architecture can slightly differ..
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Seeing as I work in this field I'll give you my 2c.

All manufactures have to confirm to the JEDEC standards relating to DRAM memory, be that DDR or the newer stuff DDR2. Supply voltages don't differ, but performance could possibly differ, due to different processes from different companies so physically they are different e.g. capacitive loads on modules.

The SPD chip on the DRAMS contains all the data about how memory addressing is done, so theoretically you can have two different sized memories on your system, but the performance of the smaller one will drag down the overall performance of the system (i.e. higher cache miss rates).
            My Sites :

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
              Single Channel? Why though Filburt? :-S
              I'm running dual channel, but for example, if you only have two sticks and you're doing dual channel, don't mix the brands. Each pair should be the same brand.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by pablo
                Seeing as I work in this field I'll give you my 2c.

All manufactures have to confirm to the JEDEC standards relating to DRAM memory, be that DDR or the newer stuff DDR2. Supply voltages don't differ, but performance could possibly differ, due to different processes from different companies so physically they are different e.g. capacitive loads on modules.

The SPD chip on the DRAMS contains all the data about how memory addressing is done, so theoretically you can have two different sized memories on your system, but the performance of the smaller one will drag down the overall performance of the system (i.e. higher cache miss rates).
                Do you suggest mixing those those two types of memory that I listed Pablo??

And I'm running Single Channel Filburt

Comment

2x 512mb OCZ PC3700EB mate

single stick on AMD64 AN50R board
                  Attached Files
                  :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                  :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                  :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

george: what memory benchmark did you use from Spec2000 ? Sandra ?
                    Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                    Do you suggest mixing those those two types of memory that I listed Pablo??

And I'm running Single Channel Filburt
                    I am not familar with them. Ask your local hardware supplier. I wouldn't see any problem technically speaking, but I kinda work on a higher level.

I also have 1GB on RAM (thats a hyperthreaded CPU, hence 2 CPU's are displayed on the task manager)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by pablo; Fri 13 Aug '04, 8:48am. Reason: silly me
                    My Sites :

Comment

floris ain't in this thread sandra 2004 sp2
                      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

sorry, sorry, george, its the avatar thing

Just wait til ye hands on DDR2 ! (and DDR3 in 2008 or so)
                        My Sites :

Comment

Hey George...what's ur own opinion...should I mix?

Comment

honestly, i never mix ram i always buy 2-4 sticks of same brand/speed/model ram test them all and keep the best 2 sticks

Comment

does anyone have any ideas on any server benchmarks ? ? George ?
                              My Sites :

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X