X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Americans rule the world"

Hi,

I used to be so fond of USA, I never thought one bad thing about the people in general. But now it is just as if they think they own the world, and it is really annoying me these days. I keep coming across posts on other forums that included comments like "USA USA USA USA USA OWNS YOU", this I find very insulting. (I see those type of posts more and more often these days)

About a month ago, I was watching FOX news, they were having a debate about the Iraq war. The subject that France would not allow the US to fly over their air space came up, then one of the news reporters (or whatever) said "Maybe we should bomb France!!!!!!!!!" or something along those lines. This again really really insulted me.

Does anyone else feel the same way as I do? Or does anyone have any idea why so many people from the USA act like this?

Most of my internet friends are from the USA, so I know that it doesn't include all of them. But I just seem to notice an increase of this big headed type of behaviour from American citizens.

I don't mean to start a flame war, I am just wondering if I am the only person who thinks this way.

Thanks.
    Last edited by HostOrbit; Thu 5th Aug '04, 4:37pm.

I'm not sure what forums you've been reading or the motive behind these people saying such things however I'm not a large fan of France myself. I don't agree that bombing them is the answer, however. Are you sure that the quote from the FOX News debate wasn't taken out of context and was a sarcastic remark? It sounds like something Bill O'Reilly would say in a highly sarcastic manner. As far as the big-headed attitudes go, I'm extremely proud to be an American but I don't go around making childish comments such as the ones you mentioned you've read on other forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Radon3k
      I'm not sure what forums you've been reading or the motive behind these people saying such things however I'm not a large fan of France myself. I don't agree that bombing them is the answer, however. Are you sure that the quote from the FOX News debate wasn't taken out of context and was a sarcastic remark? It sounds like something Bill O'Reilly would say in a highly sarcastic manner.
      Well I am not a fan of France either. But I don't make nasty remarks about them, I keep those kinda thoughts to myself.

I don't watch FOX news that often, it may well have been a sarcastic comment, but either way... It is not a good thing to say, especially at a time like this. (As many people assume that the US are war freaks and are trigger happy people etc) Surely common sense would stop him from making those type of comments? If he was working for ITN (The UK's most popular news channel) he would get the sack and ITN would get in big trouble. Even though he has nothing to do with the Government, thousands of people are still watching him and it does not give his country a very good impression.

It is not just him either, as I have already said, this kind of attitude seems to be getting fairly common.
      Last edited by HostOrbit; Thu 5th Aug '04, 5:03pm.

Comment

Originally posted by HostOrbit
        Even though he has nothing to do with the Government, thousands of people are still watching him and it does not give his country a very good impression.
        What one man says on television does not reflect the view of the entire country. I'm sure many people disagree with things he says (I'm not even sure who we're actually talking about).

Comment

don't watch FOX news that often, it may well have been a sarcastic comment, but either way... It is not a good thing to say, especially at a time like this
          FOX news is the biggest load of bull**** on american tv, don't belive the bull**** you see on their programs. Hell most of the people I know did'nt even agree with the war in iraq in the first place, and don't now as a matter of fact. I could care less what public opioion polls state, they are made up by whomeevers in whomevers pocket anyway.

I don't know man, mabey this 'terror alert' stuff is working on the un-educated masses and they are getting freaked out when it turns yellow, so they post on whatever forums you happen to visit just to piss you off.

People are people, most are stupid, some are *******s, you just gatta deal with it

Comment

Originally posted by HostOrbit
            Well I am not a fan of France either. But I don't make nasty remarks about them, I keep those kinda thoughts to myself.

I don't watch FOX news that often, it may well have been a sarcastic comment, but either way... It is not a good thing to say, especially at a time like this. (As many people assume that the US are war freaks and are trigger happy people etc) Surely common sense would stop him from making those type of comments? If he was working for ITN (The UK's most popular news channel) he would get the sack and ITN would get in big trouble. Even though he has nothing to do with the Government, thousands of people are still watching him and it does not give his country a very good impression.

It is not just him either, as I have already said, this kind of attitude seems to be getting fairly common.
            The problem is you go to the wrong sites, and you watch the wrong channels.
            Fox news is absolutely the most biased news station that exists. Their "fair and balanced" news is the exact opposite. They hide reality, hide the truth, and report what they want you to hear. US news is definitely censored, we all know that, but the news is practically made up by Fox News.

As for immature kids who make comments like the ones you mentioned..It's always been that way. These people know nothing of the world. I bet if you asked them a bit on geography they wouldn't have the slightest clue. It happens all over the world, and for the most part, the majority of Americans don't have such attitudes.

You shouldn't put too much into comments that these type of people make. They are certainly the minorty.
            Webmaster / Administrator
            www.MegaGames.com
            www.MGForums.com

Comment

Shock = ratings = more ads = money (Thats the business plan of some stations)

News is a business not a public service, their goal is to increase profit. They are only going to keep shows that keep the people watching their channel.

People don’t have to like FoX but if they keep up the shock a lot of people tune in to see what is going to be said next. Works the same on forum threads. When some one posts something shocking the thread views go up and even the replies increase. Another example can be seen by just watching Jerry Springer.

Going by what you see on TV and what you read on the internet (Specialy WHT) and believing it is not a good idea.
              Last edited by Dolby; Thu 5th Aug '04, 11:06pm.
              eqinterface.com | eq2interface.com | wowinterface.com
              vginterface.com | goBerserker.com
              7 Full vBulletin Lic.

Comment

You know, this is why I don't watch the news, I don't follow politics, and even if I could vote, I wouldn't.

You know why? I don't care. All of this hate and problems with other countries is just plain annoying. Now if the politics were of Jefferson's time, then I'd care, but the politics today are just stupid.

Comment

Alert level increases == fear among the people;
                  Fear among the people == making them more willing to support those that are leading the joint;
                  Elections coming up and Bush not doing too well == Bush administration realizing they need to use Fear to get the support of the people back.

I don't really go to many forums at all anymore, since I've gone over to the Blogosphere, and there I hardly find any such nonsense ("USA USA USA USA OWNS YOU") at all. There were a few posts by bloggers on politics / elections, but only one was really interesting:

A history of Clinton, Bush and Terrorism | Kuro5hin.org

Comment

America is the super power. And history has taught us that superpower and supernations won't be around forever as they are prone to self destruction from within.

From my own personal experience, my dream was to go to the US to find work in the IT industry. After 9/11, I defended the US a lot against people who thought that 9/11 was deserved and justified against the American people. I think the whole world felt American, to some extent.

And since the war on Iraq, I have the upmost contempt for American goverments integrity. I wouldn't step foot into the country now - even though throughout all of my life - now is the only time I can afford to make such a journey.

The things I dislike:

• Globalisation, WTO, "Free trade" and micro-economics
                    • Corporatons, greed, corruption and lawsuits
                    • Goverment lies, misleadings, alteria motives and propaganda
                    • Racism and religious descrimination
                    It seems that money gets put before moral obligation.

If George W Bush did indeed act for the good of the world - and mainly - the American people, he has his priorities wrong. In the US itself, there are millions of people in poverty, jobless, homeless. Suffering from HIV which is spreading at the same rate as in Africa, and on the increase.

A good president would tackle national problems and issues before attempting to either secure the Middle East (read: oil resources) or rid the world of one of it's many dictators. Either way, in my opinion the US and the UK's priorities are wrong. Their excuses for going to war unilateraly against the UN is one of the biggest International crimes in recent years.

And this my formed opinion. My familly are born and bread UK citizens who have been listening to UK media, goverments and propaganda. And yet I have such fury for the Western world which has given me everything I enjoy in life. What must it be like for someone from the Middle East who is directly affected by our violence towards their region and nation, who hears anti-western propaganda from their friends, family and (ex)goverments. Is it any wonder people are prepared to be suicid bombers (in whatever context) to fight for what little they have?
                    HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                    -
                    Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

The only thing that winds me up is when some seem to think they won WW2 by themselves. Absolute morons, it's so insulting.
                      Last edited by bahbah; Fri 6th Aug '04, 5:39am.
                      Hungry ?

Comment

Originally posted by Faruk
                        Fear among the people == making them more willing to support those that are leading the joint;
                        Elections coming up and Bush not doing too well == Bush administration realizing they need to use Fear to get the support of the people back.

I don't really go to many forums at all anymore, since I've gone over to the Blogosphere, and there I hardly find any such nonsense ("USA USA USA USA OWNS YOU") at all. There were a few posts by bloggers on politics / elections, but only one was really interesting:

A history of Clinton, Bush and Terrorism | Kuro5hin.org
                        Didn't you notice the news?

Last week : they increased the news items about threats and even raised their alarm.

This week : news reports of them adding just about 500 million to their military budget.

It is called Marketing.

They rule the world, by force.

Comment

Originally posted by Faruk
                          Fear? Where were you when Saddam Hussein was killing everyone who stood against him? Where were you everytime a terrorist organization attempted to plunge people into a state of constant terrorist and fear? Where were you on 9/11?

How dare you accuse the President of attempting to place people into the state of constant fear and terror that the evil he has fought has tried to bestow amongst them.

Originally posted by Martz
                          America is the super power. And history has taught us that superpower and supernations won't be around forever as they are prone to self destruction from within.
                          History has taught us that evil cannot win when good men act. The Soviet Union was a union of evil. It could not last - against the good people in the Unites States; against the good people in the world.

Originally posted by Martz
                          A good president would tackle national problems and issues before attempting to either secure the Middle East (read: oil resources) or rid the world of one of it's many dictators. Either way, in my opinion the US and the UK's priorities are wrong. Their excuses for going to war unilateraly against the UN is one of the biggest International crimes in recent years.
                          The first priority of a good President would to ensure that his people are alive so he can help them.
                          Last edited by Shining Arcanine; Fri 6th Aug '04, 5:33am.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                            Fear? Where were you when Saddam Hussein was killing everyone who stood against him? Where were you everytime a terrorist organization attempted to plunge people into a state of constant terrorist and fear? Where were you on 9/11?

How dare you accuse the President of attempting to place people into the state of constant fear and terror that the evil he has fought has tried to bestow amongst them.

History has taught us that evil cannot win when good men act. The Soviet Union was a union of evil. It could not last - against the good people in the Unites States; against the good people in the world.

The first priority of a good President would to ensure that his people are alive so he can help them.
                            I wouldn't want to reward bush with another 4 years for going into iraq with the wrongful reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                              Fear? Where were you when Saddam Hussein was killing everyone who stood against him?
                              With American guns
                              Hungry ?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X