No announcement yet.

vBulletin Callendar or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin Callendar or something else?

I am starting up a local website for the city i live in where it will list all venues and the bands they book for specific events.

Will vBulletin's calendar deal with this? I'm not too sure about it myself, i had a play around but its overly complicated (which can always be simplified).

I plan on having ratings of bands and venues, and discussions. I plan on using vBulletin for these things. Im just curious if the built in calendar has enough power to be able to deal with it?

Does anyone use it for a similar system? Or another product?

My thoughts were to create a seperate calendar for each venue and book bands into each calendar, but i think thats not the best way of doing it. Any suggestions are welcome!

The limit won't be vBulletin as far as I can tell. But what PHP and MySQL can handle.

I use a localhost vb installation that has no threads/posts/useres, just custom calendar that loads over 24 different calendars each organized on index.php showing different things for a day, hour and week and future events and links to adding updates etc.

It is quite flexible if you jump into it.

Comment

I do realise that it is a flexable system. Most of the scheduling things work fine. However - i see the complexity of having many different calendars confusing for the general public.

I really need a system where i can have an event at a location, where the location can be searchable and sortable (ie, list all events involving this band, or this venue, or this day).

Will custom calendar fields be able to deal with this? I expect i will have to write my own search/sort addons, though.

Comment

You'd probably have to hack into it and add some of the features yourself (or request them and wait for Jelsoft to deliver in the next version of vB3)

Also, I would think that one calendar listing ALL dates for booked bands would be good enough.... the calendar would look busy busy () and it would allow your members to via all of the latest dates for booked bands in one central area

MGM out

Comment

Definatly a good point, however i would also want to be able to filter via venue or band, so that you would reduce the complexity of the calendar.

I guess its time to get dirty with calendar.php

Comment

Originally posted by merk
            I am starting up a local website for the city i live in where it will list all venues and the bands they book for specific events.

Will vBulletin's calendar deal with this?
            How did your site's calendar development turn out? I'm looking at similar issues for a community site as well (in USA).

Comment

The project is on hold

I suspect i will end up using vBulletin but im thinking if i find a more suitable script it will be used instead.

Comment

Originally posted by merk
                The project is on hold

I suspect i will end up using vBulletin but im thinking if i find a more suitable script it will be used instead.
                You may want to check out some of these other calendar applications:

http://www.planscalendar.com/index.php?p=competition

I'm hoping to stick with vBullletin's calendar, however you might find what you need in one of the calendar applications referenced in the above link.

Good luck!

Comment

just an idea guys but why not make catagories for each band or venu then put the other in a forum

IE:

Catagory Band: the vBs

Froum: The town green

or

Catagory Venu: The town green

Forum Band: the vBs
                  this way bands and venues could be serched.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X