Computer Freezing up for moments..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Freezing up for moments..

Seems like my computer is acting up..so hmmm...I wonder if it is a lack of memory. It locks up sometimes for maybe 5 minutes, sometimes a complete crash, that requires a complete reboot, or maybe for an hour or two..

Either way, its getting annoying. CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't even respond sometimes...

Ideas anyone?
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

What programs are running in the process list that are taking up cpu time when you view the list?

Installed any new programs as of late? new shell maybe?

Comment

LOL....sounds like the one I had before I got this one..I seriously had to clean my cookies and temp files then reboot about every 30 mins to an hour...Talk about frustrating...then about 3 weeks after I got this one the old one turned itself off and won't even power up anymore....

Got a Boxer?
      BoxerTalk

Comment

Could be thousands of different problems. Boot up your operating system in safe mode, then see if it freezes. If it does not, its either hardware or something you recently installed.
        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
          Seems like my computer is acting up..so hmmm...I wonder if it is a lack of memory. It locks up sometimes for maybe 5 minutes, sometimes a complete crash, that requires a complete reboot, or maybe for an hour or two..

Either way, its getting annoying. CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't even respond sometimes...

Ideas anyone?
          How much memory do you have, how much do you use as a maximum?

Comment

512MB on Windows XP Pro
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

That should'nt be much of a problem, im still on 512 sd-ram and I go along fine. As said can you boot into safe mode and run ok?

Comment

Yep...no problems...for the moment.

Comment

Rebuilding always helps, i just rebuilt my pc last weekend, its sooo good having a vanilla machine to tweak

Try uninstalling anything you either dont use or dont remember installing, also helps.

Comment

It really does depend, it could be a lot of things. First, I would do the usuall. Scan for spyware / viruses. If your PC actually locks up, you could check the Event Logs. If you find any, paste the info here.

Also, do a scan with HijackThis and post the log here if you want.

Comment

Make sure your fan isn't broken.

Comment

Just a wild stab in the dark, but did you happen to install ZoneAlarm 5 recently? If so I suggest you downgrade to 4.5 or switch to sygate. My computer was acting up just like yours, so I switched to sygate and guess what, problem fixed... Looks like zonelabs released a buggy piece of ****

Comment

I'm using Zonealarm 5 with no problems at all...

Got a Boxer?
                          BoxerTalk

Comment

Originally posted by DarknessDivine
                            I'm using Zonealarm 5 with no problems at all...
                            Yeah, it works for a few people, but for the large majority of people (according to a website) it stalls their systems... I even tried it with a formated system with a brand new WinXP SP1 installation and it still messed up my computer... Anyway, sygate is a really nice firewall aswell.

Comment

Hm....that might be a possibility. I recently upgraded to ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X