Forum Rules .. who what where when why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Rules .. who what where when why

I think everybody here has a forum, or wants a forum, or is part of a community or is about to be part of one. So .. have you encountered forum rules yet?

vBulletin.com has them

Do you have forum rules, why and why not?
    Any specific ones? Unique ones you haven't seen anywhere else?
    Do your forum rules include piracy, privacy and legal points?
    When did you implement them, before you opened your site or at the point where you noticed you needed them. How important are they for you?
    And finally where did you include them in your site? During registration, pre-registration, post-registration or in the footer or in the forum FAQ part perhaps or did you write out a seperate .php/.html page for it?

Yes, I believe all sites need to have some sort of code of conduct.

Not really, just the basic rules.

Legal sort of: any user found stealing a written user submitted piece of work will be banned. If the user is upset enough, we will support them in pressing charges. Privacy is just we won't give out their information to anybody.

When did you implement them, before you opened your site or at the point where you noticed you needed them.
    Since my site isn't open, before, but the TOS I have now was a modified one from an old site I had, so where I noticed I needed them.

How important are they for you?
    In the site I'm creating now pretty important.

And finally where did you include them in your site? During registration, pre-registration, post-registration or in the footer or in the forum FAQ part perhaps or did you write out a seperate .php/.html page for it?
    During registration, and a separate .php page for a user to view at any time.

I'll post a link to my TOS on my current site that's not open yet:
    http://www.literaturereviews.net/tos.php

I know my TOS was popular before (people asked to borrow bits of it and such), so, there you go .

Comment

Thank you for this nice indepth in reply. I really appriciate that you put time into answering all the questions Especially explaining why and even linking up to your TOS. It is a great example for others to learn from. I hope more people reply like this.

Comment

No problem, Floris. That TOS took me over four straight hours to write all the content and code it, so I'm glad I get to show it off .

Comment

I have forum rules to keep my community a friendly place for all ages to enjoy.

I don't think so. Our rules are pretty much rules you would find on most forums.

Yes, it does.

When did you implement them, before you opened your site or at the point where you noticed you needed them.
          I implemented them when I opened the forum.

Very important, it tells my members how they should and shouldn't act when using my forums.

For now they are just posted on my forums.

You can view my Terms of Service here:
          http://symptales.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew111888
            No problem, Floris. That TOS took me over four straight hours to write all the content and code it, so I'm glad I get to show it off .
            Your web site looks amazing already. The style green looks a bit dark-ish in total, but I do like it. I just think of that because I recently made a green style for someone which was a bit brighter (want a screenshot?) Anyway. I have my site policies (rules, etc) put in threads in the announcement forum, because I want to quickly change them when I have five minutes time left and am processing feedback. I am still learning, so .. eventually in about 50 years from now I will have it all done properly. http://www.vbulletin.nl/community/forumdisplay.php?f=89 - I wish I knew someone who has enough legal knowledge and willingness to help me out with them, so I covered most basics and bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Yanks1343
              I have forum rules to keep my community a friendly place for all ages to enjoy.

I don't think so. Our rules are pretty much rules you would find on most forums.

Yes, it does.

I implemented them when I opened the forum.

Very important, it tells my members how they should and shouldn't act when using my forums.

For now they are just posted on my forums.

You can view my Terms of Service here:
              http://symptales.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1
              Thank you very much for replying too Yanks1343 in the same way Andrew111888 did. (did he start a trend?)

Yanks1343 <---- You have a really nice site & theme going on there, and your TOS looks great. I learned a few new things from it. Remind me next month to nominate you for BOTM

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
                Your web site looks amazing already. The style green looks a bit dark-ish in total, but I do like it. I just think of that because I recently made a green style for someone which was a bit brighter (want a screenshot?) Anyway. I have my site policies (rules, etc) put in threads in the announcement forum, because I want to quickly change them when I have five minutes time left and am processing feedback. I am still learning, so .. eventually in about 50 years from now I will have it all done properly. http://www.vbulletin.nl/community/forumdisplay.php?f=89 - I wish I knew someone who has enough legal knowledge and willingness to help me out with them, so I covered most basics and bases.
                I'd be glad to look at a screenshot Floris. I like the green because it's easy on the eyes but it's not as dark as something like black.

We're going to have parchment style buttons, and we should be opening in the next few days. Our custom scripts are taking a bit of time, though.

Comment

Thanks ^_^

What is BOTM?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew111888
                    I'd be glad to look at a screenshot Floris. I like the green because it's easy on the eyes but it's not as dark as something like black.

We're going to have parchment style buttons, and we should be opening in the next few days. Our custom scripts are taking a bit of time, though.
                    I like your green header main buttons a lot I will go make a screenshot, I think I still have the style installed somewhere on my site. Just hidden away from public It is a custom style, and not for sale - (in case someone checks it out and wants it)

Yanks > BOTM = vBulletin.com Board of the Month competition

Comment

Oh, thanks so much!! ^_^

Comment

I like your green header main buttons a lot I will go make a screenshot, I think I still have the style installed somewhere on my site. Just hidden away from public It is a custom style, and not for sale - (in case someone checks it out and wants it)

I like how on my nav panels the green orb becomes red and the links become yellow in addition to my header buttons .

Still need to add a book to my banner though.

Comment

green style screens

Here is a total page overview and a zoomed in screeny.

(so totally off topic heeh)
                          Attached Files

Comment

I like it . Only things I don't like are the ## text here ## things.

I made my site green btw because it's nice, calm, and to me it sets the theme for literature. (plus there's not that many green sites compared to gray or blue)

Comment

That is just the forum description Usually users don't even read it, now they stick out a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                              X