Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevent Hackers?

Hello,

One of my fellow admins on my site told me that someone was saying that my site uses hit generators. This is not ture at all.

So my other staff member, kept talking to this guy who was saying this.

Later on, my other staff member discovered that this guy was a hacker.

A cupple times I logged onto my forums and there were like 30 guests with all similar ip address.

This guy says it wasn't him. He then gave us some tips on how to preven hackers.

He said to make sure there are no unclosed tags on my site or it could be hacked in seconds.

What does that mean?
    How can I stop someone from coming to my site with many ip address at once to mess my site up?
    Any other suggestions to prevent hackers?

Here's some things you can do to increase the level of security for your forums:

1. Upgrade to the latest version.
    2. Do not install any hacks
    3. Password protect your Admin and Mod CPs: http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml
    4. Make sure the getadmin.php (vB2) or tools.php (vB3) file is NOWHERE on your website
    5. If you have phpMyAdmin make sure it's password protected.
    6. Also ask your host to change the login password for your account
    7. Change all your Admin and Mod passwords.

Note your forums are only as secure as the passwords you use and the server it is on. If the server is accessed then there's nothing vB can do to prevent potential security violations.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks ^_^

Comment

8. Enable the strikes system (vB3).

Comment

You can also give me your passwords in case you forget them

Just kidding.
          The htaccess is the best solution I know of, I think also having three different passwords for htaccess, control panel access and your main login to your board is a great added security.

Might seem like a lot to remember, but it can be done and easier in time

Comment

Originally posted by TheComputerGuy
            Might seem like a lot to remember, but it can be done and easier in time
            You could always have your passwords randomly tattooed on your body out of context.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

How would I stop someone from going to my forums as 33 guests?

Now on my forums it says..Most users ever online was 118

All the ip address were off by the last two digits.

It would not be worth blocking all those ips because they could probably just create new ones or something..

Comment

That was most likely a search engine robot. If you don't want your forums indexed by search engines, then you'll need to use a robots.txt file to block then. Do a Google search for how to do this.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

lol undoubtedly it was a robot, i doubt he was a hacker at all

HTML tags hardly count as hacking, honestly

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    That was most likely a search engine robot. If you don't want your forums indexed by search engines, then you'll need to use a robots.txt file to block then. Do a Google search for how to do this.
                    With all due respect, I beg to differ. For the most part, this does NOT seem to work. I have created the appropriate robots.txt file for my forum but I can still see search engines spending hours picking through it. The worst offender seems to be turnitin.com. It would seem that the majority of search engines do not take any notice of robots.txt.

Comment

robots.txt needs to be in the root directory and it will only be checked every few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_Pritt
                        With all due respect, I beg to differ. For the most part, this does NOT seem to work. I have created the appropriate robots.txt file for my forum but I can still see search engines spending hours picking through it. The worst offender seems to be turnitin.com. It would seem that the majority of search engines do not take any notice of robots.txt.
                        Some of the more poorly-programmed bots--or those with lower bot morals--ignore robots.txt and can only be blocked by IP ranges.
                        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X