Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Host vbulleint with IPowerWeb.com

Hi,

What do you guys think about hosting vbulletin forum on IPowerWeb.com or any shared server?

Do I have to get a dedicated server for a forum?

Thanks,
    L

You can use a shared or dedicated for hosting vBulletin.

You should take into account, however, that a dedicated server is generally faster, more powerful, and has more storage and large bandwidth limits. Dedicated is also more expensive than shared.

If you plan on hosting a small to medium sized community, use shared. If it's going to be large, use a dedicated.

Of course, you can always upgrade from shared to dedicate . Hope that helped.

Comment

I would definitely start out on a shared server until your site is big enough to warrant a dedicated server.... that should be for a while unless you already have a member base built up

MGM out

Comment

No you don't need a dedicated forums and can host on shared server. But I have heard some bad things about IPowerWeb.com . Try Out CitadelHost.com , I am really happy with them!
        Last edited by mrlb.com; Sat 17 Jul '04, 6:09am.
        =)

Comment

I'm currently running my phpBB board on iPowerweb's shared server, and I've been pleased. I'm in the process of moving all of my data from phpBB to vBulletin, and I'm having one hell of a time restoring my database. I keep recieving timeout errors via mysql restore, and as you probably already know, iPowerweb doesn't offer any telnet/ssh access to it's shared server customers.
          So, having telnet/ssh for backup/restore purposes may be something to consider when deciding between shared and dedicated hosting.
          I like the price of the shared plans, but I think paying the dedicated price will give me a bit of piece of mind knowing that I can at least backup/restore my files using the best possible method. i.e. telnet/ssh Not to mention the greater speed/bandwidth/server space

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X