Looking for advice on buying a new Dell laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice on buying a new Dell laptop

I'm looking at buying a Dell Latitude D600 (my school has a servicing arangement with Dell and this looks like the best model).

I have a few questions and I figured that some of the hardware gurus in this forums would perhaps be willing to help me out.

The price for various upgrades (and the core) varies quite a bit depending upon how I get to the laptop (via the small business section, the recommended setup from my school's page on Dell's site, through the rest of the store on my school's page, etc.), but I think I've found the best deal. My only issue is that memory seems to be quite expensive. The minimum I can get is 128 MB, but I'd like at least 512, preferably with the possibility of upgrading to 1 GB in the future (I'll be keeping this laptop for a while). For $150 more I can get 512MB but it fills up both of the two memory slots. The single slot option for 512MB would cost an additional $170 on top of that. I suspect I can do better if I buy extra memory and install it on my own. Some searches on Froogle give me a price somewhere around $100 for a 512MB memory upgrade. Would it be difficult to install this on my own? I wouldn't hesitate to do so on my desktop, but I'm not familiar with doing so in a laptop. It seems to me that it would be preferable to add this in on my own and have the option to upgrade to 1GB later than pay Dell's prices.

Also, what is the difference between a 4 cell and a 6 cell battery? I can choose either but they're both the same price and I'm curious which is preferable. The Dell website says nothing about this.

Here are the specs I'm currently looking at:

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 725 (1.60GHz) w/ 14.1in SXGA+ Display
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, SP1, with media
    128MB,1 DIMM,DDR SDRAM (note: I'm planning on upgrading this to at least 512MB, but I'm not exactly sure how)
    40GB,HD,9.5MM,5400RPM
    No Floppy Drive
    DELL LOGITECH USB OPTICAL MOUSE
    Internal 56K Modem
    65W AC Adapter
    8-24-24-24X SWDVD/CDRW Combo Drive
    Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 WLAN (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) miniPCI Card
    Dell Latitude Notebook
    6 CELL PRIMARY BATTERY
    3 Year Basic Plan
    NTFS File System for all Operating Systems
    TOTAL: $1,451.00

512MB,2 DIMMS,DDR SDRAM (instead of the other memory from Dell) would be an extra $150

Does that look like a decent deal?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Darth Cow; Thu 15 Jul '04, 12:18am.
    MTG Salvation.com | Forums

wonder what speed memory they are giving you... PC2100 or PC2700
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I don't think a P1.6 with 40GB hard drive / 128MB ram is a very well rounded laptop, i would lower the processor to spend more on the hard drive and ram, but otherwise it looks fine.
      Christopher Padfield
      Web Based Helpdesk
      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Especially because you move around with the laptop a lot, I think at least 60gb should be put in. And besides that, you won't upgrade or buy a new laptop every other day so invest in the ram, go with at least 256mb, but try to get 512 if possible. Everything over 1 ghz centrino will do just fine for the next few years - laptop wise.

Comment

Right, I said I was planning on upgrading the RAM if I didn't get the 512 preinstalled.

I'm certainly not planning on using it with 128MB of memory .

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Cow
            Right, I said I was planning on upgrading the RAM if I didn't get the 512 preinstalled.
            That is good to hear.

Comment

Try staying away from mainstream laptops. You'll probably be driven insane when you call tech support not to mention that they charge too much -_-"
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                Try staying away from mainstream laptops. You'll probably be driven insane when you call tech support not to mention that they charge too much -_-"
                I would be more worried about the waranty than support. You've got a endless ocean of nerds on the internet to help you with support, but none of them are going to pay for your blown batery, broken monitor, or failing hard drive
                Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Asus' warranty are decent. Their warranty can go up to 3 years.

Asus North America Warranty Coverage - Asus Barebone Notebooks PCs Only

All Asus barebone notebook PCs are covered under a one year standard limited Warranty, including both parts and labor, against any manufacture defects in both material and workmanship. This extended warranty extends the standard limited warranty period to a total of two or three years, depending on the extension purchased.

Standard Limited Warranty Hardware Coverage:
                  The following items are covered under this warranty: LCD, MOTHERBOARD, KEYBOARD, TOUCHPAD, POINTING DEVICES, AUDIO DEVICES, OPTICAL DEVICES, (DVD-ROM, CD-ROM, CD-RW, FDD), AC/DC POWER CORD.

Note: Hard drives, processors, and memory are supplied by (Seller) and are not covered by this warranty. (Seller) uses only genuine Intel Processors that comes with a three-year warranty from Intel. All memory comes with a Kingston Lifetime Warranty.

Unless otherwise specified, all Asus notebook PCs will be serviced within 48hrs from receipt. Asus will cover all return transport costs and ships overnight delivery to your return address.

Non-Warranty Coverage
                  -The Asus standard limited warranty covers all Asus Notebook PCs under normal usage conditions, and does not cover any damage as a direct result of user misuse or neglgence.
                  -The Asus standard limited warranty does not cover any "barebone or whitebox" units sold under any other brand except Asus, unless specified in writing.
                  -The Asus standard limited warrant is void upon any unauthorized servicing, disassembly, or modifications. All authorizations must be expressed and in writing by Asus.

Comment

The reason I'm getting a Dell is because my school has a deal with Dell so I can get direct support (even hardware problems) directly with them. So I could literally go and see someone, drop it off to get fixed and pick it back up in a few days, all for free under the warranty .

Comment

I got a new Dell laptop last month (Inspiron 9100, P4 w- H/T, 60GB 7200 RPM HDD, 1GB Ram, DVD burner, etc..) and am pleased with the quality, performance, and value.

While the one you are looking at is a bit different, I think you will be happy with it.

Regards.
                      Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Cow
                        The reason I'm getting a Dell is because my school has a deal with Dell so I can get direct support (even hardware problems) directly with them. So I could literally go and see someone, drop it off to get fixed and pick it back up in a few days, all for free under the warranty .
                        Over 3 years ago I got a Inspiron 4000 and I've been happy with it ever since. I'm sure you'll be happy with a Dell laptop.

By the way, you might want to consider an extra battery and 512MB of RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                          Over 3 years ago I got a Inspiron 4000 and I've been happy with it ever since. I'm sure you'll be happy with a Dell laptop.

By the way, you might want to consider an extra battery and 512MB of RAM.
                          Did you buy it from Dell? Or from a small orange?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X