Anyone ever set up phpChat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever set up phpChat?

I'm trying to setup phpChat, but I am clueless as to how IRC works. I understand all the docs that come with phpChat & phpIRC, but I am stumped on this one step in the installation:
    2. Install an IRC server in case you plan to run a local server and set it up
    And that's all it says... How do I go about setting up an IRC server? Or, is there any way to use phpChat without installing an IRC server? I'm a total newbie with this IRC stuff, but I learn quickly .

Any help would be very, very appreciated .

-jim

You need to install ircd as a process just like mysqld and httpd.

Comment

Where do I get ircd from?

-jim

Comment

You can download it from: ftp://ftp.irc.org/irc/server/

Comment

oooo!

*lights turning on*

Is that something that can be run on my webserver (hostpro.com) that a PHP script on my site can connect to?

Comment

It depends.... you would need at least Telnet/SSH access and the ability to compile and run programs..... but if you can do that, you should have no problem running a IRC deamon.

Comment

But if a virtual host you should check with them first - it might be against the rules.

Comment

Most virtual hosts (at least mine) would frown on using a PHP/MySQL based Chat. Thank goodness for my work ws

Thanks for the link Chris!

-jim

Comment

With PHPChat, you should be able to get away with using any IRC server. There are plenty of existing ones, just talk a stroll through the predefined list in MIRC.

If you're using HostPro, and are on their $90/month plan, then you can use their software to setup an IRC server locally, and use that address with PHPChat.

Comment

This thread got me to go ahead and set up an IRC chat server on my domain! I have irc.fast4gl.com working now.... I even set up a #vBulletin channel if anyone wants to stop on by sometime

I have a Java Chat Client (jPilot) set up as well, check it out: http://www.fast4gl.com/irc/chat.php

Comment

Stallion, I'm on hostpro's $60 a month Freedom 200 plan. I just inquired about IRC daemons and they said I can do whatever I want on my server but they cannot support it if I need help or troubleshooting assistance.

Local IRC server? Are we talking about IRC chat that is installed on and run from my web server itself? Or are we talking about a dedicated box that I setup at my house that runs a chat server that PHPchat connects to when run from my web site? (just gathering concepts)

Originally posted by Stallion
                      If you're using HostPro, and are on their $90/month plan, then you can use their software to setup an IRC server locally, and use that address with PHPChat.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber
                        This thread got me to go ahead and set up an IRC chat server on my domain! I have irc.fast4gl.com working now.... I even set up a #vBulletin channel if anyone wants to stop on by sometime

I have a Java Chat Client (jPilot) set up as well, check it out: http://www.fast4gl.com/irc/chat.php
                        Cool, you wanna set one up on my domain?

-jim

Comment

Originally posted by JimF
                          Cool, you wanna set one up on my domain?
                          Sure thing.... it would take me less then 5 minutes to get it working Get ahold of me on ICQ and I'll help you out with it.

Comment

I just may do that. I downloaded the RPM, and I couldn't find any documentation anywhere about what to do after it got installed. So I figured I'd have to compile it myself and follow all the docs that are available, but it was awfully late (or early) to bother with it .

So I just may be 'uh-oh'ing you on ICQ in the near future .

-jim

Comment

Ahhh I hate RPMs

I downloaded the source code ( ftp://ftp.irc.org/irc/server/irc2.10.3p1.tgz )

I uploaded this file to my server, and put it in the "/usr/local/src/" directory.

Then just telnet in and do the following:
                              Code:
                              # cd /usr/local/src
                              # tar xfz irc2.10.3p1.tgz
                              # cd irc2.10.3p1
                              # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ircd
                              # cd i686-pc-linux-gnu
                              # make all
                              # make install
                              Now I made changes to the configuration file: /usr/local/ircd/etc/ircd.conf. I'll attach mine as a text file. Search for CTS CHANGE! in the file for things you'll need to change for your server (basically the server name and port stuff).

You can then edit your system startup script (/etc/rc.d/rc.local) and add the command /usr/local/ircd/sbin/ircd to the end of it. Now you can connect to yourserver.com on port 6667 and chat away!
                              Last edited by Chris Schreiber; Mon 20 Aug '01, 10:33pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X