X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wert
    replied
    Originally posted by Stallion
    The number of forums/threads/posts displayed on each page doesn't increase the number of queries in vBulletin, this is mainly because we don't query inside loops, and have implemented joins...
    Yeah, I guess the author of phpBB realized that doing the queries in loops was too much. The upcoming 2.0 rev of phpBB uses joins, a dbase abstraction layer and some other goodies to make it more robust. Right now, the more forums you have, the more queries you have. Not too good for a busy board if I understand correctly. I'm not sure about the other scripts like blazeboards, tForum, and so on. They may be limited by queries within loops also...

Leave a comment:

• WebStyles
    replied
    The new one is WAY better... Much easier on the eyes.

Leave a comment:

• Stallion
    replied
    Its just a "Favorite" which is displayed in your Links bar.

Leave a comment:

• Fquist
    replied
    I like php.net's new design..

JohnM: how can you add that javascript to your browser?

Leave a comment:

• JohnM
    replied
    well, I could do that too...

Leave a comment:

• JimF
    replied
    Oh, I understand why and how vBulletin has substantially less queries, I was more concerned about being able to provide visual evidence to attest to that fact.

-jim

Leave a comment:

• JohnM
    replied
    right.
    I didn't actually test it, but I don't see how the queries would increase as the number of queries in vB is not dependant on the number of forums.

Leave a comment:

• Stallion
    replied
    The number of forums/threads/posts displayed on each page doesn't increase the number of queries in vBulletin, this is mainly because we don't query inside loops, and have implemented joins...

Leave a comment:

• JimF
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnM
    • vB with 180 forums: 16 queries
    • phpBB with 180 forums: 755 queries [see for yourself]
    Out of curiosity, where's the vBulletin example with 180 queries? Just for fair comparison sake. If this is true and accurate, that's an amazing thing!

-jim
    Last edited by JimF; Sat 10th Mar '01, 12:54am.

Leave a comment:

• JohnM
    replied
    The one from php.net is:

javascript:void(q=prompt('PHP Reference:',''));if(q)location.href='http://www.php.net/manual-lookup.php?function='+escape(q)

Mine is:

javascript:location.href='http://www.php.net/manual-lookup.php?function='+prompt('Enter keyword:','')

Leave a comment:

• Genotoxin
    replied
    The new layout is cool, but I'm sort of having a hard time adapting to it.
    You can put the quickref thing in your browser? I never knew...

Leave a comment:

• JohnM
    replied
    I've had the quickref thing in my browser for quite awhile... 'cept I wrote mine myself with the little bit of javascript i know...

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    I like it. the old seemed so...gaudy? And the font on the old one was rather big, it seemed to me (maybe it was just my browser).

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    hmmm i had to relogin to reply to this ?

anyway i like the new design better

Leave a comment:

• Chris Schreiber
    replied
    I think the new design is cleaner and nicer looking... although it will take a while to get used to where everything is now.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X