Academic Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academic Software

What is the difference between the academic version of Windows XP Pro and the regular XP Pro? I now with the office software you lose upgrade eligibility but that wouldn't exactly work the same with the OS or would it?
    Surrix.net: Computer help forums/articles

The person in my avatar is Elisha Cuthbert she plays on Fox's 24

Sorry to double post but has anyone bought the academic version of Windows XP I know some people have here before just wondering the differences if there even is any.

Comment

You can only buy it, and use it, if you are a student, and there are a ton of other rules.

Its best to buy a copy of pro OEM, if you just want XP.

Comment

Is there a page on microsofts site about the rules and such of using oem copys of xp? Looked everywhere but no luck.
        Doom3.co.uk - The Defitive Doom 3 Source

Comment

OEM for XP just means no tech support, but honestly how often is Windows Tech Support any help

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
            OEM for XP just means no tech support, but honestly how often is Windows Tech Support any help
            No kidding, if you need help -- there's tons of bb's out there And most problems are so common, Google can help you better then they can.

Comment

I wouldn't mind a copy of it myself as its only about £90 for an oem copy of xp pro but a lot of people say once you,ve installed it on your pc then say 6 months up line etc you installed it on your new pc with a new mobo etc you won't be able to activate it as the licence is intended to stay with the original pc(mobo if you prefer) till its death.
              Theres no way it seems to find out if its true or not.
              Doom3.co.uk - The Defitive Doom 3 Source

Comment

No, you can active windows xp home/pro OEM/Retail/Academic 10000 times as long its only on one pc.

After a while you just need to callup MS and have them reactiveate your key

Comment

The MS database clears your log after 90 days, so you could actually illegaly install it on another machine and acitvate it after 90 days of installing it on machine 1. This is illegal, and i'd never do it, in case I need to format and reinstall on one of the machines.

There is no difference between Academic and normal XP in terms of software, but for an Academic one, you need to be a student/teacher or a father/mother/gaurdian of a student.

But, no checks are made on whether your elegible for it or not.

Comment

Well I ended up buying the OEM found out High School students don't count :|. Oh well I feel it is money well spent and home is really starting to bother me and it will be the best for at least 2 years or so.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X