Got a virus/trojan or adware/spyware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    However it still has grave problems including the fact that it likes to crash with PDF files and when too many tabs are open.
    I personally have never had these problems, but i download the nightly bulids more or less, daily.

Comment

Adaware is nice - use it in the field alot.

IE is the only one for me. The rest are slow and crash all the time. I have 20-30 windows open in IE, and 10-15 programs open most of the time.

IE and win2k for me. XP blows also btw. I can not get 1/4 of the programs installed before it crashes. (network / computer field teck - 15 years). XP/ME is great for an AOL user , not for power users that need to use their computer.

Software firewalls suck. Not 1 of them, but all of them suck. You could not pay me to use them.

I got an old SMC 8 port 10-100 switch / router. Its all I need . A 4 port ver is like 50$ USD. It will protect all computers on the LAN side w/o needing some POS memory rez big brother watch dog on each system. Also gives internet to 254 PC's from one cable / dsl connection.

Virus ? LOL - not on any of the 15 systems here - dont use AV either. (50-200 e-mails a day) - one just needs to be street smart.

BTW: Wayne Luke - takes a good 4 hours to install and set the "work" system perfect here. Then ghost it to dvd. Next time I need to restore 8 from the ghost image abot 8 min.
      Last edited by Zachariah B; Tue 6th Jul '04, 12:19pm.
      http://www.szone.us | http://www.gzhq.net
      Twitter | Facebook | My:Hacks @ vBulletin.org
      Member of Kiwanis Club of Chatsworth

Comment

XP does just fine for the average computer user. I don't use AOL and I use XP

As for Firefox being buggy. Its about the least buggiest software I have on my computer. IE, Microsoft Office, Dreamweaver, and Adobe Premier seem to give me the most troubles with stability.
        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Windows is very simple to maintain. Set up auto-updates for yourself and you'll be fine. Don't install active x scripts and don't open up virus emails. It's something you wouldn't do on any system anyway. If someone on your machine does, install an anti-virus and let that auto-update as well. Almost anything else is worthless (like most software firewalls, etc.).

HarryButt, I agree with you on everything except one thing - XP is great. I pound this system. My 2000 machine could not handle what I put my XP machine through. ME isn't close to what XP is and there's no comparison. I cannot say I have any need for most older programs, but the few I do have installed just fine. It's never (literally never) crashed on me. It's on 24/7 and gets reset when I update the system or change up some hardware things (I like to reset for some external devices sometimes). My work machine was just upgraded and I went from 2000 to XP and it's been solid. I really recommend giving it another shot. If you don't like the look, just go to classic

Dean C - that is a good resource for anyone running into a problem. Thanks for taking the time to post it, I'm sure many will use it.

Comment

thanks for your advice... appreciate that

----------------------
            http://www.LPforum.net
            Discussion Forum for Budget Travelers & Backpackers

Comment

Very strange i think !

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X