No announcement yet.

WiForums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's a good move for both companies as moz is really getting quite big.

Comment

One thing about doing it the archive way, Scott, is that you're allowing PPC access to the threads, but sacrificing all other features of the board-- such as PMs. By doing it as a skin, you could essentially make every service PPC compatible. I've done full PPC skins that have search layouts and every other standard vBulletin feature.

Comment

Its intended to use the archive as its an already stripped down version of the most important part, reading a thread.

I considered making a seperate style but then there is the hastle of keeping two styles correct and no doubt a customer will change the PDA style to add in something that would break the compatibility. Also people install modifications would have to apply it to two styles and so forth. The archive is hard coded so less chance of errors and why re-invent whats already there.

Its designed as an accompaniment(sp?) to your main PC not as a replacement.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
          Its intended to use the archive as its an already stripped down version of the most important part, reading a thread.

I considered making a seperate style but then there is the hastle of keeping two styles correct and no doubt a customer will change the PDA style to add in something that would break the compatibility. Also people install modifications would have to apply it to two styles and so forth. The archive is hard coded so less chance of errors and why re-invent whats already there.

Its designed as an accompaniment(sp?) to your main PC not as a replacement.
          Does the Alabama skin have the auto detect in it already?

Comment

Wow bringing up an year old thread.

Comment

I purchased the WiForums product and would be very careful about recommending it.

The purchase process is cumbersome. On their site I read the standard stuff about adhering to their EULA or I would be sued, no problem. I purchased the product. One day later, I had no response, so I sent an email. I was told I needed to respond within 10 hours to their demand that I reaffirm my intent to follow their EULA and the domain I planned to install it on (couldn't this have been asked during the purchase?). I responded and an hour later I had a download link. After uploading, I had to go to their site to "request" a license file, which I had to wait to be approved, which I then downloaded and had to upload to my server. WOW! Talk about making something as simple as installing a script as difficult as possible.

The entire script is encoded - even the templates. This means you cannot alter the code or the templates - you are only given the ability to change the CSS files. Even something as simple as adding Reputation bits to the product is not possible.

Documentation is very weak - there are configuration variables in the conf file, but nowhere does anything explain what they are.

The website offers no forum from which you can get support, everything is handled via the support ticket system or email. Email and ticket responses are very slow.

For the price, I expected a product that I could modify to suit my needs and no where in what I read did I see that the product was entirely encrypted and unmodifiable.

I purchased the full version ($125) and after two days we are already looking for a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by DanaSoft View Post
                I purchased the WiForums product and would be very careful about recommending it.

The purchase process is cumbersome. On their site I read the standard stuff about adhering to their EULA or I would be sued, no problem. I purchased the product. One day later, I had no response, so I sent an email. I was told I needed to respond within 10 hours to their demand that I reaffirm my intent to follow their EULA and the domain I planned to install it on (couldn't this have been asked during the purchase?). I responded and an hour later I had a download link. After uploading, I had to go to their site to "request" a license file, which I had to wait to be approved, which I then downloaded and had to upload to my server. WOW! Talk about making something as simple as installing a script as difficult as possible.

The entire script is encoded - even the templates. This means you cannot alter the code or the templates - you are only given the ability to change the CSS files. Even something as simple as adding Reputation bits to the product is not possible.

Documentation is very weak - there are configuration variables in the conf file, but nowhere does anything explain what they are.

The website offers no forum from which you can get support, everything is handled via the support ticket system or email. Email and ticket responses are very slow.

For the price, I expected a product that I could modify to suit my needs and no where in what I read did I see that the product was entirely encrypted and unmodifiable.

I purchased the full version ($125) and after two days we are already looking for a replacement.

Thanks for the heads up!! I was heading towards using that script, but what you've posted is exactly what I want to avoid!

Thx

Comment

I can second this, apart from a protracted buying process the product itself did not work as intended on most mobile phones, only the latest wap2 enable handsets (which I hadn't been made aware of before buying) even then it had a problems with bandwidth & memory after approx 2minutes online, in that it downloaded the exact same images (header/footer/buttons etc.) for each and every page leading to 'memory full' problems real quick where the phones had to be rebooted in order to clear the cache if this could not be done manually. Support weren't at all helpful.

It seemed like a great product but I should have noticed their lack of a 30day demo (which would have have highlighted all these issues) and the whole thing is best avoided in my view, in hindsight I should have demanded my money back.
                  biker.ie

Comment

I've continued to use it although I am actively looking for someone to design a mobile skin for our site (will pay $$$$!) to replace this. I continue to find problems with the code and since I can't change anything I am dependent on the author to update the code and send a release.

For example, usergroup permissions are not inherited - so I tried to send someone a PM via my PDA and it was blocked because they were over the Registered Users limit (but not the paid subscription group they also belonged to).

There have been others - they get fixed in time; but navigation around the site from their software is less than ideal. My opinion about the software remains the same.

I'm amazed that nobody has developed a mobile skin for PDAs - the archive thing is fine for reading, but what about interacting on the forum? I did just such a skin for UBB.threads when I used that, I just dont have the time to do it for vB.

Comment

Sorry for bringing up this thread after a year... I have a similar story. I purchased WiForums a few years ago because I was excited about all the features.

But after seeing it in action I was very disappointed.

As you said, even the templates are encoded and you can't update anything. The script was full of bugs and even some of my privated forums were public because of wiForums's weakness.

I removed it from my website but yesterday I received an update from them. Guest can now browse the Wiforums and it can be a very attractive feature for me so I decided to give it a try.
                      ~ LANeros.com ~

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X