WiForums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiForums

anyone got any experience with this app?
    http://www.wiforums.net/

I had my PPC out anyway so I took a look at their site & examples.

Umm... not one of them formatted correctly for my iPAQ. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to click something and get it into mobile mode, but it didn't appear to be very mobile-friendly to me.

I looked at two of their example communities and neither one got the layout correct for a pocket PC. I've done better simply creating a mobile skin for vBulletin and a few lines of auto-detect code. At least mine switched over when it saw you're on a mobile device!

Rubbish to me if it doesn't do at least that... why should I be impressed with their mobile-enhanced product if I view their sites on a PPC and it doesn't look right?

Comment

There's no need for this really as vBmechanic just released an (almost) WAP compatible skin for free in the 'Graphics & Styles' forum
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

hmmm, is quite impressive on http://wap.howardforums.com/

although vbMech's is quite a nice prospect too, just wondering what everyone thinks though.

Comment

Originally posted by vBMechanic
          I had my PPC out anyway so I took a look at their site & examples.

Umm... not one of them formatted correctly for my iPAQ. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to click something and get it into mobile mode, but it didn't appear to be very mobile-friendly to me.

I looked at two of their example communities and neither one got the layout correct for a pocket PC. I've done better simply creating a mobile skin for vBulletin and a few lines of auto-detect code. At least mine switched over when it saw you're on a mobile device!

Rubbish to me if it doesn't do at least that... why should I be impressed with their mobile-enhanced product if I view their sites on a PPC and it doesn't look right?
          Yeah, I took a look and wasn't impressed. Love to see your auto-detect code, vBMechanic!

Comment

Should be self-explanatory...

PHP Code:
            // BROWSER DETECT

$browsers = array(

"Windows CE",

"WebTV",

"AvantGo",

"Blazer",

"PalmOS",

"lynx",

"Go.Web",

"Elaine",

"ProxiNet",

"ChaiFarer",

"Digital Paths",

"UP.Browser",

"Mazingo",

"Mobile",

"T68",

"Syncalot",

"NetFront",

"Danger",

"Symbian",

"Nokia",

"Xiino",

"AU-MIC",

"EPOC",

"BlackBerry",

"Wireless",

"Handheld"

);

if(
            preg_match('/('.implode('|'$browsers).')/i'$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'], $match))
             {

$mobile=1;
             }
             else if (isset(
            $_SERVER['HTTP_UA_OS']))
             {
                 if (
            strstr($_SERVER['HTTP_UA_OS'],"POCKET PC") !== false)
                 {

$mobile=1;
                 }
             }
             else
             {

$mobile=0;
             }

if (
            $mobile==1)
             {

//echo "You are on a mobile device!";

$styleid='8';
             } 
            Last edited by vBMechanic; Sat 26 Jun '04, 7:02am.

Comment

Welll whats in the skin will be standard practice for the archive in 3.0.2.

There is a nice new PDA link at the top of the archive at the moment it switches the order of the threads from ASC -> DESC and shows the number of replies for a thread, thats been there for 2 weeks now. I have another commit that will add login box, reply and newthread and will do some bbcode parsing unlike the current system which just strips it, thought it will be completely image free.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Add in the auto-detect and you'll be golden, Scott

FYI, here is a vB site that uses the auto-detect so you can test it: http://davesipaq.com

Comment

The autodetect that I done was look at the useragent to see if it was Pocket PC or any other symbian based OS. Though I'm not sure how old WAP phones handle XHTML or should i use my really old WML one that I done last year.
                  Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Yup, that's pretty much what the above autodetect does. I compiled the list from all of the autodetect routines I could find around the web and even then I had to add a few-- so I'd wager that is one of the more complete lists of Pocket agents.

Comment

Does it also match Opera on Symbian phones?
                      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I'm not sure.. I never had this large array of test devices, but I did have it tested with at least 4 different brands/models. The code was written a few months ago so it may be behind the times with the latest browsers. It will catch it if it has Symbian anywhere in the HTTP Agent line.

There must be at least.. what? two people using Opera on a Symbian OS phone? I'll have to tell Pete and Bob that it might not autodetect for them.

Comment

In vBulletin, where is the best place to do the browser detection? At what point is the skin variable set?

Comment

All recent nokias have Opera installed by default until Minimo from Mozilla is stable.
                            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Mind you I read over @ the register a few days ago that Nokia have done a deal with mozilla for their new WAP phones
                              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X